Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so first up I better say I feel a right plonker, so lets get that over with!

I fitted a new chain and sprockets to my 2011 Tiger 800 Road version. I bought a DID X-Link chain model 525VX - 122ZB. Everything went well until I went to tension the chain and notice that there was a LOT of slack. At this stage the old chain had gone away in the bin so I could not count the links. I suspect that I should have removed 1 link, however as I had ordered the chain specifically for the bike model I thought it would come at the correct link count. I am only showing 3 adjustment dots on the swing-arm after setting the tension to 15mm.

Can anyone tell me how many links I should have?

Also are my adjuster blocks back on upside down?

Have a look at the attached images...

Thanks for taking the time :)

Attachments

·
Banned
1,585 Posts
Okay, so first up I better say I feel a right plonker, so lets get that over with!

I fitted a new chain and sprockets to my 2011 Tiger 800 Road version. I bought a DID X-Link chain model 525VX - 122ZB. Everything went well until I went to tension the chain and notice that there was a LOT of slack. At this stage the old chain had gone away in the bin so I could not count the links. I suspect that I should have removed 1 link, however as I had ordered the chain specifically for the bike model I thought it would come at the correct link count. I am only showing 3 adjustment dots on the swing-arm after setting the tension to 15mm.
Can anyone tell me how many links I should have?
Also are my adjuster blocks back on upside down?
Have a look at the attached images...
Thanks for taking the time :)
The adjuster blocks are right way round, the chain off top of head are 120 links. The later 2015 model is 124 links.

Where have you got that 15mm tension from? I set my chain at 40mm total up & down free movement midway between sprockets with bike on c/stand. Each to their own on that.

How many miles had the old kit done? Should be good for 30k miles.

·
Premium Member
479 Posts
.......I fitted a new chain and sprockets to my 2011 Tiger 800 Road version. I bought a DID X-Link chain model 525VX - 122ZB. Everything went well until I went to tension the chain and notice that there was a LOT of slack.
Did you verify that your new sprockets were the same size/tooth count?

·
Banned
1,585 Posts
The OP has fitted a 122 link chain, I'm fairly sure his model/year should be 120 links.

Edit: 122 links is correct, the 120 was an error in the early manual. See link in post 7.

·
Premium Member
479 Posts
From what I can see online, the 2011 800 "Roadie" shows a 122-Link chain, Triumph part number T2015075. That's with a 16T front sprocket, 50T rear sprocket. So according to that source, his link count should be correct. Tooth-count on the sprockets seems to me to be the only other variable.

·
Banned
1,585 Posts
From what I can see online, the 2011 800 "Roadie" shows a 122-Link chain, Triumph part number T2015075. That's with a 16T front sprocket, 50T rear sprocket. So according to that source, his link count should be correct. Tooth-count on the sprockets seems to me to be the only other variable.
Edit:
I just had a dig into my confusion. You are correct, there was an error in the first owners manual that gave the number of links as 120 later corrected to 122 for the early models 2011 - 2014. See links below:

https://www.tiger800.co.uk/index.php?topic=11234.0

https://www.tiger800.co.uk/index.php?topic=2388.0

Gearing commander hasn't been updated, still showing 120.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Folks,
Sorry for the delay in getting back. I did some more checks and yes, you are correct, I have a new 47 tooth rear sprocket which seems to account for the problem! Good grief, I don't know how I missed that.
So it looks like I have enough slack to remove one link.
Also the 47 tooth sprocket will give me higher gearing which is no loss really as the 800 IMHO seems way undergeared anyway. I will try it out some more but on an initial (very cold) spin it still had plenty of poke and seemed to cruise more comfortably.

Regrading the slack, I checked the manual again and the slack on an R model is 15-25mm definitly. I'm not quite sure why the picture I attached with the specs is upside down!!

Thanks everyone!!
APW

Attachments

·
Banned
1,585 Posts
Regrading the slack, I checked the manual again and the slack on an R model is 15-25mm definitly.
APW
We know what it says in the manual but I rec'n most of the boys will tell you, that 15-25mm is too tight.

There has to still be a bit of slack in the chain when the swing-arm is horizontal.
Get the chain in its tightest position then strap it down to get the s/a horizontal or get a fat bastid to sit on it while you check there is still enough slack that you won't damage your bearings or snap the chain.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
This was measured with the bike on the side-stand as per the manaul. This is what I have used for the last 20,000 Km. I find if it gets any slacker the chain hits the swing-arm over speed-ramps (aka 'jumps') and the slack in the drive makes it a little harder to keep light throttle control.
Maybe its just horses for courses?
Thanks!!
APW

1 - 11 of 11 Posts