Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK so I started a new thread question for this because I got the other problem fixed, but now I have another one!
Once I replaced both coils with new ones the cdi cranks her right up no problems.
I moved so had some down time on the bike repair as I have 2 other bikes to ride and since I seem to have nothing but problems with this one I plan on selling this lump of metal!
I cleaned the carbs , every jet, every port every hole, every adjustment and she flows great and purrs-at idle!
Once I take off on her the motor winds up like it is not in gear and then kicks in after a few seconds, it does this in every gear!
I never had this problem before with the old stock cdi [ now it has a brand new - ignitech tcip4-v88-] so I am not sure what to think!
I sent them an email but it usually takes 2 to 3 days before I hear back from them and I am at my wits end with this damn bike! Now after it warmed up the laptop will not even read the unit is connected to it when I plug it in !! This could be the computer so I have completely shut it down and am waiting for a restart after trying to shut every thing down and reloading without turning it off.
I seem to have the carb adjusted great, I am at 2-1/4 turns out, no backfires in pipe or at carb and throttle response is good so I can not figure out what this can be other than the unit but if someone else has some knowledge to impart to me that it may be something else PLEASE help me.
I have done everything I can think off as well as readjusting the pickup sensor.
Things checked and done:
Carbs cleaned and checked - ignition sensor adjusted - new spark plugs - new plug wires - new plug caps - new coils - new cdi - all wires checked for breaks and if open or closed, individually - MY SANITY!!
Thank you,
Tex,
P.S.
I hate these newer computer units on bikes, my thunderbird 900 is still stock and runs like a champ!!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
not really, but it kind of acts like that to a point. It's not the clutch though-at least I don't think it is or could be- or at least it does not feel like the clutch is slipping, i've felt that enough on my harley to kind of get the feel for it.
it feels like a rev limiter type action, the clutch engages it runs fine unless i goose her, if i dont goose it there is never a lag. A lag is more like it any gear i goose it in it seems to do it, i have not taken it on the highway yet because im afraid it will break down on me! it seems to be more "engine" or timing related than clutch.
Hmmm you got me to thinking and now I'm wondering if me adjusting the ignition sensor could be the problem?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok so the carbs were out of adjustment, I moved the butterfly sync screw way out of whack and got some crazy results! I did not realize it is a very minimal adjustment not 1/4 each time.
I pulled off the carbs and reset the butterfly sync screw to be dead even for both carbs- I have no idea what it is really called but it is the screw in the center that moves the butterfly valves on each carb in opposite directions to allow more or less air intake.
I have been now slowly enriching and leaning with little results so I took the bike out and put the engine under load by doing a few burn outs on the cattle guard!!!
Seems to be just the carbs I think, running better and "catching gear" better but I will have to do more testing later.
What irks me is nothing was wrong before the cdi went out, ran fine carbs tuned, caught gear and now with a new cdi I have to change everything to get it to run!
I hope it is just the carb because I am sick of messing with this bike, but I still have a feeling it is the ignitech cdi, I guess we will see. Going for a ride tomorrow on one of my old reliable bikes from the 90's!!!

·
Registered
72 Posts
You need to fine tune that synch screw, preferably with vacuum gauges, but one can learn to hear when both cylinders are firing evenly at idle.

·
Registered
10,301 Posts
Only move that adjustment screw literally a few degrees at a time. I do it with an electronic carb synch meter attached to the vacuum ports, a fan blowing on the motor, and the idle turned up.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you for all the help I was way over adjusting the screw!!
I removed them and set the butterflys back even by looking at them hitting the pilot jet and I believed I had the carbs all synced up but it still acted l like there was a air leak somewhere so I started spraying with carb cleaner in the usual spots and found nothing and sprayed the carb for the hell of it, and low and behold there was a air leak!! I found one it seemed around the float bowl and the small air [whatchamacallit] diaphragm cover on left side carb. I removed and used rtv gasket maker on it all, let it sit for a day and reassemble again on bike- i lost count as to how many times i have done this- no leak but still ran like a lean air leak ! I was thinking it had to be the cdi, just freaking had to be! after several days of communicating by email with ignitech- 13 hours ahead of us- i was given a new program to try but if i was certain it was cdi to send it back to them.
I could not use the program as it was the wrong one so why I waited for them to email me another I sat at the bike watching it idle just being frustrated! I was sitting on the right side when I noticed some small air bubbles popping out of intake rubbers from carb cleaner- i was still trying to find the leak!
Turns out I had the intake rubbers on backwards! carb side was on intake and intake side on carbs, and for those of you who do not know- like me- they are a different size which I just figured out today!! I thought it was bad rubbers and have spent the last 5 days trying to replace with radiator hose only to get the wrong size and not able to find any in a store- I live out in the middle of nowhere- i was again sitting at bike when I discovered I had them on backwards.
SO, now I have refreshed the rubbers by applying heat gun on low and slowly moving the rubber to be back to smaller so it fits tight. it works they are tighter but now I can not tell if the rubbers are supposed to be on an angle up or down!!!
I'm trying to search for that answer now as none of the diagrams show a tilt on one end.
Happy note, my 99 thunderbird still runs like a beast and new size sprocket and new chain give me lower highway revs and she purred at 90-95 as i was outrunning the rain.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Umm.. instead of turning your intake rubbers to goo with a heat gun, why dont you try fitting them the right way round? :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts