Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First let me say that this forum is a great resource with friendly and knowledgeable people. I have been lurking for a few weeks educating myself on the new Bonneville's. It allowed me to pick out what I wanted, and I found a 2008 T100 with 900 miles on the clock for $5,500 here in my local town.

From there I learned that nothing but the British Customs Sleeper exhaust system will do (thank you to all who posted numerous sound clips online). So I have an airbox removal package and Sleepers along with the necessary jets on the way.

I changed the original oil out of the bike this weekend and refilled with Shell Rotella full synthetic along with a nice NAPA 1358 filter (thank you again for the countless posts on oil and filters). Then I hit the road for about 200 miles of the most fun I've ever had on two wheels. This bike is so fun and easy to ride. Just hop on and go. It is quick, nimble and just beautiful all around. I can't wait for an exhaust I can actually hear. Of course my cam cover seal is leaking but that will be taken care of soon enough.

Also, there has been a lot of discussion about retro helmets these days. After much research I wanted to try out the Fulmer. Located a Fulmer dealer in my area and went down to try them on, thinking the flat black with white stripe style would go well with my bike. When I got there they had one of every size, and the size that fit me best was a medium. I usually wear a small, so note to anyone looking at Fulmer's. They size a bit larger. And the medium just happened to be the Easy Rider. I thought, the hell with it. You only live once. So yes, I am an American riding a British bike. One thing is for sure, people definitely see you coming with it on. The helmet is very comfy, with reasonable wind noise. I think the profile is good and low too, not too much mushroom head going on.

I'll post some good sound clips of the Sleepers once I get them on. Thanks again to all who provide info. on here. One very happy new Triumph owner! :D

·
30,525 Posts
Welcome! Glad to have you here. I'm glad to hear the oil filter and oil threads have paid off! :D

Great looking bike, enjoy it!

·
Registered
866 Posts
Welcome to the fold. Nice bike, that was originally the color scheme I was looking for, but found a good deal on claret & silver. You might wish to remove the AI from that before the bluing creeps down much more.
Enjoy.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I agree with you on the AI removal. That is in the order with the pipes, air box, etc. from BC. I told myself I wasn't going to ride it much before I removed the AI to keep the bluing to a minimum, but it's just so damn hard to stay off the thing...

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Welcome and you'll love the difference in performance and sound w/ the Sleepers and -airbox...
Next on your list might be carbs and suspension upgrades!
Nice bike! I like your Avatar, and if you look really hard you can see a girl in the picture!

·
Registered
181 Posts
Ride on

Welcome to the addiction. You have learned well from this forum. Nice bike, choice in oil,and especially attitude. I am still riding stock silencers after 1 1/2 years, but you said it best. It's just too damn fun to ride to worry about such things. Sounds like you've got the modding thing all lined up, I'll get there some day, but I have no money left...

Have fun.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I got a Fulmer to wear with my Bonnie too. It's got some cool checkers and a Brit flag on each side. Thing is, I like it so much I wear it when I ride my Honda too! I get some funny looks at stoplights. I agree, the Bonnie is so much fun to ride. Mine has about twice as many miles on it as my other bike, which is a year older.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well ya see... what is the helmet rule? And who says there has to be a rule?! Do you wear a helmet that represents you or your bike (manufacturer)? I mean, the way I look at it... I would be more of a "poser" wearing a full Union Jack helmet because I'm not British (no offense to anyone who does, I'm just saying).

I know Peter Fonda rode a Harley, but I ride a Triumph. :p

At least I didn't go with this...

But if I lived down South I definitely would, Ha! :D

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
I got basically the same exact deal, except 200 miles on the bike and a J VIN.

You will never regret the Black and White. Its so classic. I let my buddy ride mine so I could see it on the road. Its very striking when you are riding next to it.

I absolutely love mine and I am sure you will too.

Incidently I rode mine hard from 300 miles on, and it just runs better and better.

·
Registered
495 Posts
You guys are killing me with the new bikes for $10.00 stories! Save one for my brother in law! But tell me about it so I can go get it for him.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Right on! That's a heck of a deal for such a low mileage practically new bike, IMO. I wish I could have been patient enough to hold out for such a deal when I bought mine last year, but, the bug was biting me hard.

As for the helmet, I know crotch rocket guys that spend a lot of time looking for helmets that exactly match their bikes, (as well as pants, coats, gloves, etc). Even though I have a black Bonnie, I decided to go with the Nolan N102 flip up in silver. Sure it may be a clash of style, but, I really like the helmet.

Glad you got something you really enjoy and also that the forum was a help to you. (It certainly has helped me out.) Ride safe and have fun!

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
I agree about the black & white colour scheme Bonnies...however I always change my mind when I am looking at the Silver Bonnie, or when looking at the red and silver Bonnie, or the creamcicycle or...you get the picture.
A couple of nice, fairly cheap mods, I suspect you may also have considered are the gaiters (de rigeur), the rubber boot and cover on the clutch line assembly (why Triumph cheaps out on that one I will never know), the old style football grips and a grab rail (notably not as cheap but you might be able to find a 2nd hand Rentec).
Love your bike, you are going to have a great summer.
Ted

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I wish I had a better story about buying the bike, but to be honest it was sort of fate falling in my lap. I had been watching the classifieds here and Ebay results. So I had budgeted about $5,000 to buy me a nice '02-'03. Last Friday morning I looked through my local Craigslist for the hell of it and bam, there was a black/white '08 for $6,000. I drove over to see it 2 hours later (left work early) and asked him if he would take $5,500. Amazing.

Does anyone make some nice grips for the bike? The stock ones seem a little... I don't know. Cheesy, or loose. They turn a lot before anything happens. Maybe it is just being used to a Ducati where everything is precision to the max. But maybe I will have to find an aftermarket set of grips.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Dude... All I know is that I've always wanted to buy a real deal Storm Troopers costume, and God damn that picture in your avatar is so cool. Ha! I need to buy one now and go riding in it.

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
Welcome, and agreed - this forum rocks.

Excellent choice on the black-and-white :D

·
Registered
58 Posts
i would just like to take full credit for all the info you used in gathering for your purchase. youre welcome.

hahaha. jk. sweet ride dude. i just got a fulmer todizzle and can agree with everything u said.

GO SLEEPERS!

toodles.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts