Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
All I've done is take out the end baffles,maybe its the speedo cause it seemed to get up to 170 pretty quick,then started to creep up:)J.B.

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
I think thats about average for these bikes. I know mine can hit 160 pretty fast but then a lot of distance is covered before there is much of an increase. I took a rebar and completely busted out all the baffles all the way thru the pipe and also rejetted. Next year will look to get new pipes and nark because it seem that it generaly agreed thats the way to make them really go.

When you really think about it top speed is pretty unimportant and coul be affected by wind, temperture,slight grade changes and even the way you are sitting on the bike.

·
Registered
5 Posts
ton up

All I've done is take out the end baffles,maybe its the speedo cause it seemed to get up to 170 pretty quick,then started to creep up:)J.B.
Yeah mine was struggling in the top end department with standard jetting etc...like it couldn't get enough breath,so i had the baffle & snorkel removed,several dyno runs & ended up with 136 mains.
The result was a much stronger response up top pulling 180 km/h easily & still gradually pulling away.
There was a sharper dip in power & torque at around 2500 rpm but this is hardly noticable as your'e not in that range for long anyway.
Oh & my fuel economy improved considerably as well.
all the best.

05 t100.:)

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
These bikes are lean to begin with. If you knock out the baffles you free up the breathing and might need to up the size of the mains one or two jet sizes. Do a full throttle plug chop and I bet it indicates lean.

·
Registered
8,872 Posts
These bikes are lean to begin with. If you knock out the baffles you free up the breathing and might need to up the size of the mains one or two jet sizes. Do a full throttle plug chop and I bet it indicates lean.
Plug readings dont tell you anything with the gas we got now.If see what you think is right you more then likely are way rich.put the bike on a dyno or use a a/f meter thats the only way to know what right.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
LOL haggis95:),my beeza's got a very er optimistic speedo too!you pays yer money,anyhoo at least my licence is safe,although I think I read something on here some cats with gps saying the bonnies speedo is not too bad J.B.

·
Registered
284 Posts
All I've done is take out the end baffles.
Well, my guess on what has happened is.....

Apart from removing exhaust gases, the pipes on a bike perform two other main tasks. The first I think is attenuation of sound and pressure waves of the exhaust (attenuate roughly means to reduce). The second is to resonance tune the system, which from memory is to modify the amplitude of the vacum (and pressure) waves so that they arrive back at the exhaust port at the correct times.

Off the top of my head I would suggest that since for resonance tuning the exaust gas is likely travelling at about 100m/s and there are pressure waves traveling at about most likely around 500m/s. Those pressure waves were reflected back and used to tune the emptying (scavanging) and filling of the cylinder. Your removal of the baffle as probably thrown this out of kilter since it will have effectively changed the diameter of the pipe likely resulting in a loss of power.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well, my guess on what has happened is.....

Apart from removing exhaust gases, the pipes on a bike perform two other main tasks. The first I think is attenuation of sound and pressure waves of the exhaust (attenuate roughly means to reduce). The second is to resonance tune the system, which from memory is to modify the amplitude of the vacum (and pressure) waves so that they arrive back at the exhaust port at the correct times.

Off the top of my head I would suggest that since for resonance tuning the exaust gas is likely travelling at about 100m/s and there are pressure waves traveling at about most likely around 500m/s. Those pressure waves were reflected back and used to tune the emptying (scavanging) and filling of the cylinder. Your removal of the baffle as probably thrown this out of kilter since it will have effectively changed the diameter of the pipe likely resulting in a loss of power.
Yeh I can dig that:)J.B.

·
Registered
8,872 Posts
these bikes need open pipes that didnt hurt it other then maybe needing more jet causeing it to go lean on top.put it on a dyno get the a/f right it will run better.How fast you want it to run?get the credit card out you can get there lol.

·
Registered
147 Posts
With stock gearing and TOR;s my Scrambler did 160-165kmh, it just stopped revving.

With same exhaust, NARK, Speedmaster 790 cams and 10.5:1 CR same speed comes instantly and it keeps gaining..I do not know how much.

Biggest difference comes with cams, it keeps getting more power almost to limiter when stock stopped making more power after 6500rpm.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts