Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I've been experiencing an intermittent starter issue and was wondering if anyone could help identify what it could be.

Every so often (cold start and after the bike has been running) I'll start the bike up in neutral and the starter will engage for 1/2 a second and turn off... not turning the engine over. I've tried both continuing to hold the starter button down and the starter will run a couple seconds and turn the engine over on the second time sometimes third. I also get the same results if I take my finger off the starter and try again. I've ruled out not using the booster as it occurs just as often on a warmed up bike and I start/stop the bike as per the manual.

I'm sort of stumped on this one, its been happening since day one with this bike and the dealer checked the voltage on the battery and it appears fine.

Any advice would helpful! Unfortunately I couldn't find any other threads with the exact same issue on a newer Bonnie (2012).

Thanks again!

·
Registered
741 Posts
Sounds like it could be the clutch lever switch. Try holding the starter button and slowly squeeze the clutch lever. If it begins to crank over, hold the clutch in that exact position and don't squeeze any tighter.

My buddy's Speed Triple has this malfunction and acts like you are describing. The problem being that when the clutch lever is squeezed it pushes the internal switch too far and overshoots the electrical contacts.

Make sure its in Neutral first. Hope this helps you out.

For future reference, please post technical questions in the Twin Technical Talk sub-forum.
Cheers!

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Mine does the same thing. The dealer said that he had it happen to him on an America once and discovered that the battery wouldn't hold a charge under load. The mech. checked the battery under load and said it was fine. It's a mystery. There seems to also be an under voltage relay others have talked about. I also have the same trouble with my Street Triple some times.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi nimravus01, Thanks for the input! Apologies for posting in the wrong section. I can try playing around w/the clutch position but thinking if its the clutch lever switch why would the bike turn over if I keep holding the starter button down? I always start the bike in Neutral and with the clutch lever is fully depressed.

Johnnystriple, any recos on what do on a new bike if they already checked the battery? Swap the relay I guess? What did you do in your case?

My concern is bringing it to the dealer again and them not being able to replicate it/me getting stuck with a huge bill vs it going through warranty.

Thanks again guys for your feedback!

·
Registered
10 Posts
My 2012 T100 does the exact same thing. When I took it to the dealer for the 500 mile service, I told him about it. When he was done, he said everything looked fine and he checked the battery terminals are tight. He said it happened to him as well but had no explanation. It happens not too often, maybe one start in 20 hot or cold.
I originally thought maybe I was too quick after turning on the key with all of the start up and pump running stuff happening but one day I stalled at an intersection and it did it then. How inconvenient... Since then I have been attentive to letting the 'system' start up before hitting the button but have still had intermittent starter runs. When this happens, the starter only gets probably not a full turn on the crank once or twice then it cranks till it starts.
I have noticed when this happens, I feel a slight lurch on the bike, even though I have the clutch pulled in all the way and sometimes in neutral. Not sure if it's related or not.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone for their replies.

mike1161, Thanks for pointing me to the right thread. I must have not been searching with the right keywords.

No definitive solution by the looks of it but at least I know I'm in good company :confused:

·
Registered
6 Posts
My brand new 2012 bonneville does the same thing. I am pretty annoyed with this. It's like I can't trust the bike to start. Obviously there is a problem. Will Triumph address this issue?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Raker13, I hope so. I went in for my initial service and in addition to overfilling my oil by 1L (I'll save that story for another time.) they uploaded a new update for the computer. Unfortunately I still have the starter issue.

·
Premium Member
160 Posts
I had this exact problem, usually after stalling it at intersections. I'm still learning how to ride.
When it stalls, I push in the clutch, hit the starter button and nothing happens, I press it again and it fires right up, has done this a few times.
I have read other posts here stating that the starter relay is not of the best quality, so I pulled it out and simply reseated it, and so far everything has be running good.
It could be just a coincidence but so far so good.
Some people have even bent the pins slightly on the relay to ensure better contact.
It doesn't cost anything, try it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have verified my battery contacts are tight. I have taken off the side cover and checked the starter solenoid contacts are seated into the boot. I can't check the battery's water obviously. The problem is intermittent. My battery is very quick to full on the tender. It does not seem to be the battery. My 500 hundred mile is coming up, and I almost know the dealer is not going to really do anything about it. I am very frustrated at this point. I do not want to find myself stuck somewhere and when stopping the bike, always worrying about a restart. Boo.

·
Registered
10 Posts
As long as the bike is healthy, I really don't think you have to worry about stranding. It takes one or two shots then it cranks like a champ. I don't worry about a stranding anymore, it's just frustrating.

·
Registered
45 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thank you Forchetto. You have been a wealth of information and I have read through many of your posts. Your input to this issue is appreciated.

·
Registered
49 Posts
had something kinda similar to this.

have a 2012 SE. when i went to start in neutral, would start and idle out in about 3 or 4 seconds. put it in 1st and it would start no problem and hold idle once i put into neutral. took to dealer and they found a faulty neutral switch after some poking around.

they fixed it under warranty and told me to monitor it for any other problems and they would take care of it under warranty. my dealer always treats their customers well.

maybe you can use this info to point your mechanic/ dealer in the right direction. hope this helps.

·
Registered
58 Posts
More then likely its the clutch switch. They seems to have a mind of its own. Unfortunately you cant loop it cause its looped in a bunch of the other ecu's system.

·
Premium Member
20,740 Posts

·
Registered
741 Posts
So, Dealy, did you figure anything out? Still having the problem or is it solved? We'd all like to know what fixed it.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts