Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks,

I am new to the forum as well as new to owning a 1972 Bonneville TR6R. Please forgive any ignorance on my part, I want to learn as much as I can. Can anyone point me in a direction to learn more about my bike as well as Bonnies in general? Thanks so much

j

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
Hey folks,

I am new to the forum as well as new to owning a 1972 Bonneville TR6R. Please forgive any ignorance on my part, I want to learn as much as I can. Can anyone point me in a direction to learn more about my bike as well as Bonnies in general? Thanks so much

j
Right here is as good a place as any, as well as newbonnevilleriders and british iron international forums. Britbikes is also good. Use the search function for all you need, tech stuff, parts, ideas. Buy a Haynes manual too.
I had a '72 Bonneville for about twenty years and really dug it!
Post a photo!

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
welcome
you say you have a 'Bonneville TR6R'....its either one or the other I bet.How many carbs do you have on that bike.?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Like meatwagon said, its an easy ID. If ya have two carbs its a bonnie, if ya only got one carb its a Tiger ( TR6R ), there are a few other tings to look at, but for the most part that will give you a pretty good idea of what ya have:) the VIN number in the frame and motor will tell you everything you need to know:)

Post some pics!! we can never get enough pics around here!!

And welcome to the forums!!!

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
According to MotorcycleSpecs, a TR6R is a Tiger - same as a Bonneville in all ways but for a single carb. A Bonneville, I believe would be a T120 for a 650.

·
Registered
810 Posts
number or carbs?

My bike started life as a Bonneville. Somewhere along the years it bitzed-out & now has a single carb, Trophy engine in it. What would you all consider the most important; 1, A Bonneville number with one carb? 2 aTR6 number with twin carb head? I get a little deflated when someone asks "wow, an old Triumph. Is it a Bonneville?
TR6 Bonneville 650 Trophy

·
Super Moderator
12,455 Posts
No need to get deflated either way.

By the way, single carbs were referred to as Trophy for some time till they went to Tiger, or maybe it was the other way around? Doubly stupid, Triumph also called some 500 models Tigers!

Bonny isn't all that much faster, maybe 5 MPH on a really good day.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts