Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So a few months back I ditched the stock rear fender to do a fender eliminator. At the time, I liked it. But after riding with it, and just looking at the fenderless bike, I realize I would like to put the fender back on, be it a little bit chopped. It just seems to "balance" the look of the bike better.
So I've trimmed the sides of the fender to a more desireable look, and am ready to put it back on, but I don't want to use the stock spaceship light. I see some folks with lucas style lights, and that's just fine for me, but are they direct bolt on replacements? Are there any options for a direct bolt on replacement taillight assembly?
Thoughts, opinions, suggestions, tutorials are all welcome. : - )
Thanks in advance!!

·
Registered
510 Posts
search function

philip - use the search function within the twins talk section to search for "lucas style taillight"
you'll have all the info/reviews/opinions you'll need.
You'll even find info on how others have bolted it to bobbed fenders

·
Registered
10,637 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
cool. thats what I was looking for. I checked their site. I don't know why I didn't see that. I saw the ones with the turn signals attached, but not this bolt on only deal. But $99.00!! thats pricey. Especially since I won't even be using their wiring harness. Does anyone have a picture of the underside of a lucas style taillight that you can purchase at parts unlimited or someplace similar? How far off are the hole/bolt patterns compared to the fender? I don't mind doing a little drilling i suppose, as long as i know it'll cover the bump, and mount flush. The lucas light from Parts unlimited is maybe $40.00.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Don't forget to re-post with pics when you are done.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Awesome. Thank you for the reply. I was actually going to order through my local cycle gear. But the one you offer looks like it would do the trick as well. I already have my turn signals located by the rear shock mounts, so that drilling will not be necessary.
What does the bottom of the light housing look like? How does it mount to the fender? Bolt spacing? I don't suppose you have a picture of the underside of the light.

As another option, what are the opinions on this light?
http://www.shopwizardscycle.com/hd/4835170.jpg

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Sparto tail lights are cool. Make sure you get the rubber base gasket. That one pictured has a very small area to mount the license plate. You'll also need a wider plate bracket from a Tombstone or Beehive tail light.

/Mike

·
Registered
4,870 Posts
Don`t forget that the Sparto also has to sit on a nearly horizontal plane to be seen.I haven`t seen a Bonnie rear fender with a surface level enough,using any Triumph seat configuration.
old pic

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ah nuts. You're right. I didn't think of that. Oh well that's ok. I think I'll go with the lucas style light. I just came back from the long beach bike show. Good showing of triumphs. There was a nice blue one with the lucas light. Looked real good.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
...also has to sit on a nearly horizontal plane to be seen.
Excellent point! How many times have we seen that tail light mounted so it's pointing downwards, OCC-style? :p

/Mike

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hey I know you guys! I put the Lucas style on mine that was supposed to go in the stock holes but it looked like crap (pointing down) to me so I took a die grinder to my rear fender and love the results.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Fender mod

buckstoy
That's the best fender mod I've seen. I looks awesome, the space isn't too empty [as it looks without the fender altogether]

Looks sporty and like it was made that way! :cool:

·
Registered
59 Posts
option tailight

PhillipV88 look an other option 30 euros only from EMGO ,here is a photo
[/IMG]

Nice bike you have there!

Have fun
Begenius

·
Registered