Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

yesterday I had the pleasure of purchasing my first "new" bike, 06 Sprint ST, sun-set red.

Won't be delivered for a couple of weeks.

She's still in the box, and parts are on order which will cause a slighty longer delay. Doesn't matter though since I don't plan on riding or even starting her up untill the spring.

Figure what's the point of running the engine for a few minutes and then having to change the oil out for winter storage.

I'm guessing it would be better to have it put together in the spring and just start riding it, but then I couldn't go out and look at her all winter.

I would interested in any thoughts or comments anyone has about storage of a new bike or the break in period of a new engine. Having read several post already on the topic
it seems there are many different ideas and ways to go about it.

Also, I haven't read whether or not it is harmful to have a passanger on board once in a while when breaking in the engine. Does anyone here have any information about it?

Thanks

·
Registered
528 Posts
Maybe see if the dealer will keep the bike Title in his name that way the warranty does`nt take effect till you actually take possession/start riding .
we put a deposit on our thruxton in dec 05 and picked it up in march 06. the warranty started in march.
just my 2 cents
Enjoy that new bike :-D

·
Registered
290 Posts
Hi Flash,

Congrats on the new bike! That Sunset Red is by far my favorite color- you'll love it :upthumb:

Bummer you have to wait 'till spring to ride, but at least you have some time to pour over maps and start planning rides :) I've been wanting to ride in the "Great White North" for a long time- My big trip plan for '07 is Vancouver BC... Can't wait!

I don't think having a passenger during break-in will harm the engine any. I've always felt that period (first 500 miles) is a good idea, if not for the engine certainly for the rider. Each bike rides a little differently, and being "forced" to take it easy for a while gives the rider time to get acquainted with the bike.

It might be a good idea to spend some time riding the new bike solo, so any surprises which may arise are not exaggerated by having a passenger. I tend to be overly mindful of such things, but thats just me.

~Randy DTFR
Ride safe~ eh!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good advice. Seems we have the same idea regarding taking it easy and getting acquainted with the bike and it's handling characteristics.

Thanks

Gordon

PS: I've been out to BC a couple of times, it's a pretty safe bet that you won't be disappointed.

·
Registered
8,111 Posts
Welcome Flash,

What a bummer having to sit and watch your bike all winter.

Still, at least you could still sit on your beast and make engine "revving noises".. :-D

Good advice on the warranty delay rs_tt

·
Premium Member
4,566 Posts
On 2006-12-03 23:25, steventhechef wrote:
Welcome Flash,

What a bummer having to sit and watch your bike all winter.

Still, at least you could still sit on your beast and make engine "revving noises".. :-D

Good advice on the warranty delay rs_tt
Ah Steven you're a sad case (I like it), but you're still a sad case :)

Yeah, having a "riding" season, and a lounge season would be a bummer.

Russ

1 - 6 of 6 Posts