Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Y'all,
Rode the new 2009 speedmaster today. I have a question, there is a hesitation between the throttle and the "go" even warmed up. In fact, if you snap the throttle too hard, it stalls... more than once.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
673 Posts
Something was not set up properly on that bike. Was it a test drive at the dealer? I had to adjust the idle, clutch, everything after I got mine, even though the dealer has supposedly set it up right. Maybe the idle was too low or the choke was out and it flooded when you gave it the gas? If the idle on my Bonnie is too low, the bike will stall when I gas the engine in neutral. I would not let that experience turn you off, because that is not normal.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Something was not set up properly on that bike. Was it a test drive at the dealer? I had to adjust the idle, clutch, everything after I got mine, even though the dealer has supposedly set it up right. Maybe the idle was too low or the choke was out and it flooded when you gave it the gas? If the idle on my Bonnie is too low, the bike will stall when I gas the engine in neutral. I would not let that experience turn you off, because that is not normal.
Hi TCL, the choke was in, we checked and it started right up after. It also happened several times and the hesitation was noticed even after we had ridden it. What is the recommended idle? Perhaps that is the problem. It was not a test drive at the dealer as we picked it up yesterday and trailered it home because of really bad weather :(. Today was the first day on it.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Not sure for the Speedmaster, but Bonnie setting is around 1050rpms. Set it when the bike is warmed up. I'd take it back to the dealer if you're still having problems. Like I said before, it's not normal.

·
30,168 Posts
Well,

It's a brand new bike that you are forking over your hard earned cash for, so contact the dealer. I am sure that this is something very minor, but make your dealer work for you, I am quite sure they will take care of it. I expect it is something quite simple, but it shouldn't cut out when you twist the throttle.

Don't worry though - new bikes sometimes take some getting used to. When I got my first Ninja it was an absolute BEAR to start for 2 weeks. I had a hell of a time starting it. I was about to take it back to the dealer, but then it just started firing right up, never had any issues again.

Ping the dealer though - don't wait. Always best to contact them sooner rather than later! It's going to be a GREAT ride!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts