Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just had my bike dynod yesterday and got what I feel are impressive results.
Max HP of 75.8 and max torque of 61.2 ft/lbs.
Setup:
2003 Speedmaster, Thunderbike Performance pipes, Wiseco 904 cc big bore, ported heads by Seely Machine, Thruxton needles, 150 mains, 42 pilots, freak kit with K&N filters.

I have some Megacycle medium street cams to install next. Thgen I'll post the results. Probably be awihle though, gotta ride the bike to Georgia and back to see if I like them.

·
Registered
3,701 Posts
Just curious….what would you figure the dollars spent per each horsepower gained to this point you are at now? The ratio?

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Danm kingmoham,

Why you gotta be trying to rain on our parade? It's all about his passion, manifesting for us.... our dreams. I plan to turn away when/if he posts his 'dollar per pony'..... I don't wanna know.

·
Registered
3,701 Posts
Fatt,

I am the last one that wants to rain on anyone's parade. I am thrilled that folks post thier projects so I can read and dream. My question was simply to consider what it would take to turn my dreams into reality...in the economic sense.

·
Registered
909 Posts
Very interesting info indeed, Pat - cheers.

Just a couple of minor queries (in the hope they're not too daft):
I notice from the graph that the dyno started reading in 5th gear at 50mph and continued up to about 127mph (as far as I can make out - you must be using a 19 tooth sprocket) - were there any results for a given rpm range (or at lower speeds or for initial take-off)?
Also, I'm assuming that, as it has been measured in mph, that the figures are for HP and torque at the back wheel - is this correct?
Finally, and please pardon my ignorance here too, do you have a torque figure in NM?

In a couple of week I'll be taking my 904 Bonnie down to Hobbsport in Yorkshire for a dyno tuning session - I've booked a whole afternoon.
Like you, I have thruxton needles (have you fitted any shims?), 42 pilots and a pair of K&N filters - the airbox is about to get dremmeled any day now. I'm guessing, from your info, that I'll be fitting 150 mains but those will probably be supplied by Hobbsport. I have a set of NH Classic cans fitted with cobbled together baffles and I'll take along a pair of Kawa GPz900 carb slide springs just to see what effect they have on the results.
I can't wait for the trip back up north afterwards. :cool:

·
Registered
482 Posts
One thing to keep in mind when wondering about a price per HP ratio is that his dyno is at the wheel and the stock bike is rated at the crank... So unless you do a BONE stock baseline dyno, hard to say...

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'll try to answer all the questions in one fell swoop here:
cats No way, I already have two of the flea bitten varmits. :hammer: No really, I love cats, they taste like chicken. Pix are on my site Dinqua.com and over in ba.com site (BA.com photo gallery for Dinqua. It is steath though, you cannot tell by looking at it that it's not still stock. That's part of the sweet part too. Surprises a lot of folks, especially my HD buddies as I leave them in the dust.
Belt drive: I love it, big bucks but nice and smooth and no more chain oil crud.
$ / HP A lot of them? Big bore was about $400+$300 for machine work, I installed it myself. Probably spent another $200 on beer though, does that count too?
Dyno figures for Keef The dyno dood ran it that way, he forgot to hit the rpm button instead of the mph button, no biggie though, he shut it down at 7500rpm. This is the way he ran it for me that day as all I wanted was a printout for one quick run. Before he hit the 'read" button, at ~3000rpm, it is a steady climb from zero with the same angle. I was standing at the puter screen as he ran it and on the screen it all registered just like it should. I have had him do several dynos for me in the past and this is just the way he did it that day. It does not have a chain either, I have the QPD belt drive which is comparable to a Speedmaster with a 17.5 tooth rear sprocket. I have measured this against my friends bikes with 16, 17, 18 and 19 sprockets so I know that is very close to the 17.5. All the measured figures are true measurements at the rear wheel, NOT the crank. I am sure they would be about 20% higher in each case. As for nM, 1 foot pounds = 1.35581795 newton meters ( I googled it for ya). As far as the jets, I think I am going to put some 155 mains in to get the top end a little higher, I'm greedy and there is some more to be had with a little adjusting.
Bonnies with Big bore no brainer, do it, they love it! There are a lot of guys over in the NTBF that have done them as well. But, it does appear the the 270º motor seems to benefit a little better than the Bonnies 360º motors. Just a few more HP and ft/lb of torque from what I have read over in the Cafe Ace Forum where the racers and real tuners hang. I am just an average mechanic, not scared to jump into anything though. If I can take it apart, I can put it back together.

Cheers guys, thanks for the kudos.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
On 2006-04-08 12:32, Dinqua wrote:
..... I am just an average mechanic, not scared to jump into anything though. If I can take it apart, I can put it back together.

Cheers guys, thanks for the kudos.
More kudo's, thanks for representing the rest of us!
You are being too modest, I'd say you are way past the skills of an average mechanic and you do a [email protected] fine job documenting as well.

[ This message was edited by: ssjones on 2006-04-08 15:43 ]

·
Registered
139 Posts
Pat,

Very nice figures! I just dropped in a set of British Classics street cams last month to go along with the Wiseco and the 42mm Mikunis. I'll probably have it dynoed this spring but, from seat of the pants dyno results, the addition of the cams and the extra air flow draw that they required was just enough to let the engine FINALLY catch up to the huge Mikunis!

Prior to the cams, I had them down to the smallest mains and pilots available with the accelerator pumps disabled and it was still a bit too rich! Sigh! Not any more! With the cams, I actually moved the mains up one notch and it runs like a freaking bandit!! Man, is she ever sweet now! Tons of power! In fact, since the cams went in, I just can't force myself to take the Rocket 3 out. Sigh! I just have to get on the America. Ohhhh, the pain! LOL!

Cogito ergo equito

Bob

·
Registered
909 Posts
Cheers for that update, Pat. Your details are very much appreciated - as are your documentaries. I shall continue to digest them and, if you're interested, get back to you with whatever printouts (and accompanying pertinent details) I get next week at Hobbsports.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts