Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
8,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well, I finally found a reasonably priced belly pan for my Sprint RS. It really was the only mod that I ever wanted (my RS came with the Carbon Can TOR exhaust). I must say a huge thanks to 06STER for the original post of the half price sale at Peter Stevens in Melbourne as that is where I managed to get one from and in Acidic Yellow too!

Thanks too for the effort Rexxypup went to trying to get one from the motherland.

The fit was simple, the instructions were average and the end product was fantastic. I'm sooooooo chuffed. The mounting parts and bits for reference for others that might want to do the fit. These bits are only for my RS vin no. 139277 and onwards (gen 2 motor)

These are instructions with the mounting tabs and hardware for the earlier gen 1 RS's and the Speed Triples as they have the same belly pan but different mounting hardware.

The bellypan on the table with the rubber grommets fitted and sleeved tab washers already in place.

and the finished product. I am still sooooo chuffed.

It really finishes the bike off IMO. The cut out at the side where the alternator sits is the significant difference between the gen1 and the gen 2 bellypans.

You could cut this out if you bought a gen 1 belly pan and had the gen 2 motor which was always one of my options should I have found a cheap earlier model pan but I don't need to now !!

·
Registered
8,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Side view with the gen 2 alternator cutout

A view from the other side. by the way.. I am still sooooo chuffed! :D

·
Premium Member
4,389 Posts
Chuffed or gutted???? I wish you guys would keep your metaphors straight for us colonials.

Good one STC looking gooood!

Don

·
Premium Member
1,977 Posts
Nice one.

Mr Chef

Glad to see you finally managed to track one down, and get it through the finance department!!

All you need now is to get the bits that go between the tank and the bellypan and you'll have a proper ST :p

Only kidding. It does look finished now!

Rexx

·
Registered
226 Posts
looks good steve the chef

looks real good like the colour and to you septic tanks chuffed means happy as f*ck ,gutted means not happy that sick feeling when something goes wrong

·
Registered
55 Posts
Man that is cool. thanx for the post steventhechef. That is a mod that I have wanted to add to my RS as well. the bike is Lookin great.

·
Registered
8,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Glad to see you finally managed to track one down, and get it through the finance department!!
I bought it and then told her!!

I felt that it was easier to ask for forgiveness than permission! :D

Thanks for the comments guys.

She knew that I was on the hunt for a bellypan but thought that paying money for a piece of plastic that didn't really do anything wasn't worthwhile.

She's just far too practical! :rolleyes: as opposed to me!

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Glad you were able to track one down. They really do finish off the bike. I take it you're chuffed with the results??

·
Registered
77 Posts
Aww man.. Where'd you get it and do they have more.?

I feel the same af you when it comes to paying full list for a piece of plastic that is only for looks.

-Steve

·
Registered
8,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi X, Have a look at 06STER's post on the specials
http://www.triumphrat.net/sprint-forum/106538-overstock-parts-sale-in-oz.html

and/or follow the link to Peter Steven's http://www.peterstevens.com.au/ then to Triumph

You'll have to troll through the Excel list and ask the guys at P.S. but they were very helpful and extremely quick with their email replies. They had several RS bellypans and 2 in Acidic Yellow!!! :eek:

Give them your model and vin no. with the list of parts that you might desire. They got back to me within the hour and I had the deal sealed in two.

I am not sure that postage to the U.S. would make it worthwhile but you'll need to check yourself but as our $ is low it might be cheap enough for you.

Good luck X.

Seamus - it is several days since I put it on and I am still chuffed!! It is sad when you walk away after parking it only to look back at your bike with a stupid smile on your dial :rolleyes:

·
Registered
63 Posts
I just collected mine in Caspian Blue... Bundy Motorcycles imported it for me and I just took my usual 10% discount on the list price... it's only money and if you care that much about saving it... don't buy toys... invest it.

Two issues I came up with:
1: the front right belly pan mount uses a size 40 torque screw... and I don't own the driver... had to ride into the shop and borrowed theirs, fitted the mount in the driveway. I wish I knew why Triumph have to use one freaky screw just to trip my up... but on a scale of 1 to 10... the issue is a very low 1.

2: the centre hole in the front left mount (the long one) in the picture at top of this thread is too big... the head of the original bolt that the instrucions say to reuse goes straight though... I compared the hole to the replaced part... they should've been the same... the simple solution is a washer... not difficult... but I'm dissappointed that the genuine kit isn't right.

Waiting for the engine too cool down before fitting the plastic to my four new mounts and will be just as chuffed soon.

I think this is the last genuine custom part available for my RS!

·
Registered
8,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
I have been asked for this a couple of times so I thought that I could post it here to help others with the conversion if they have the 00-01 as opposed to mine 02-03/4 model with the extension to the cover.

The cutout is clearly evident and I have taken a couple of shots to help.

Good

Good luck with the Daytona conversion kredge :)

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
It's the dogs wotsits, congrats.......

PS: I don't like bellypans........but, ii does look alreet!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
8,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Good point Nev. I'll tell her now. That will help me heaps..:D

Leonie is my speed limiter. She digs me in the ribs at 200kph!! That will knock 50 k's off in a few seconds!!:rolleyes:

·
Registered
343 Posts
Thanks to Steventhechef's help, here's my '01 belly pan cut to fit an '06 Daytona engine.
I had to shave some off the right rear to clear that exhaust and make additional cutouts to clear the oil cooler lines.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 23 Posts