Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Need a new battery for my dead cat. 885i spoked. Current battery in it is a Varta YB14L-A2.(12v 14AH 140A) As it's a very tight fit I always suspected it might not be the correct one.

Anyone know which is the correct battery ? GS GTX14-BS has been suggested and also any recomendations for brands would be appreciated.

Thanks
your rideless:(

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks Farmer Jon.

Initially the battery wouldn't charge and was around 6.5v. Left in on charger and nothing for a couple of hours. Took it off, left it a while put it back on and eventually it started accepting a charge. Took it off overnight and put it back on this morning and it's charging fine. I'm going to check voltage soon and see if I can get the cat purring again. Reasonable Autumninal weather here and should be able to get out today - yahoo..:)

Taking my breakdown number with in case.

I'm going to get a battery conditioner to see if I can get some life back in the battery and also see if I can it through the winter without having to get a new one. It's let me down a couple of times so really do need the conditioner/trickle charger. Just checked it 12.89v - bingo - lettle it settle, back on bike and I'm outa here

·
Premium Member
6,462 Posts
A GTX14-BS will have the terminal polarity the opposite to your Varta, so if the battery leads look right, this won't be the right choice.

I (& many others) reccommend a Motobatt sealed (from the factory) AGM type which needs little or no maintenance charging.

I've fitted a slightly smaller type - MB10U, CCA 175A - as it's well up to the job. Same length & width, a little lower on height.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks IrlMike for the tip about the terminals on the GTX14-BS.

I bought a new battery conditioner.

Anyway - used the recondtion mode on CTEK conditioner to "recondition" the battery (off the veh for this mode only) and now got the cat permanently connected and ready for use at any time. I should have done it before but never got around to it and regularly had to give the battery a bit of a boost with a conventional charger but the voltage was never as low as it was when I posted this thread. Oh and the 12v Hella/Din socket works a treat, so convenient:)

The CTEK conditioner will also be used on our vehicles which are getting less and less use as the economic climate bites. We tend to run them during the winter just to keep the batteries charged.

A few people have mentioned the Motobatt batteries so when this one does eventually give up I'll probably go down that route.

Thanks to all who helped. Will let you know how I got on after the winter.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts