Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All most done installing new bars on my speedy. I know others have installed taller risers and I've seen several other SM with this type of bar installed. My question concerns rerouting the front brake line and the throttle cables. Is it best to run the throttle cables behind (under the fuel tank) the triple tree? Is there a problem with relocating the brake line to behind the triple tree? I'm not sure if I've explained my questions very well? Here are a couple of pics (not quite done).

G

·
hi matrix, reguarding the rerouting of cables, taking the excellerator down the right hand side under the tank works well, but with the brake line, I had to install a longer one, mine is a goodridge, part no/. fmvss106, type 2, if thats any help to you, but don't forget, I am in Australia. I tried running it behind the triple trees, even tried changing the side it went to, to allow for less distance, but it still wasn't long enough, hope this helps, if not, send me another message, Paul :)

·
Registered
121 Posts
Matrix04, your bars and bike for that matter look great. I too am interested in this subject of tidying up the cables on my bike some time in the future but I want to have a proper understanding of how others have tackled it. midnight7503 or anyone else, is it possible we can see some photos to explain how this can be done?

G

·
hi, reguarding the tiding up of things, mines a rider, not for showing so, I wasn't over worried about trying to hide the cables and wires as much, but everyone has different tastes, I've taken a few pics, I hope you can view them ty Paul.
http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o105/midnight7503/100_04451.jpg
http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o105/midnight7503/100_04441.jpg
http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o105/midnight7503/100_04431.jpg
http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o105/midnight7503/100_04421.jpg

·
Registered
33 Posts
I did a similar thing with mine, just ran the accelerator cables down the right side, and got a longer brake line made up, and converted to braided line while I was at it. Here it is.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've decided that I should replace the brake line with a longer one. Looks as if Spiegler performance will make a custom line to any length, so I am going to get one made. The old line is about 37" long. I think 42" should be long enough. I'll probably end up replacing the clutch and the throttle cables also with SS braided cables.

Can anyone tell me if the cables (clutch and throttle) on the America is longer than the Speedy? If so...how much longer are they? If they are, I can just order those to replace mine.

Thanks and Happy New Year!
JW

G

·
The Triumph dealership here in Brisbane Australia, tell me the America cables are longer, but they couldn't tell me by how much, so I hope that helps a little, your local dealer should be able to help you out, Paul :)

G

·
i would also like to know what kind of bars tho are. also anychance of a picture of you on the bike to see how they change the body's position?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I bought the bars on Ebay from J&J Powersports. These are "CHROME 1 1/4" PULLBACK DRAG HANDLEBARS 6" RISE 4 HARLEY". You can either buy them on Ebay or go directly to www.jandjpowersports.com J&J Powersports

I don't have a pic with me on the bike but I can tell you that it feels a lot more comfortable. I'm only 5' 7" tall so I was always stretched out with the stock bars. These pullback just enough to ease my back and shoulders.

They are pre-drilled to run the wires inside the bars, but it is a big pain getting them through the holes. You will need a longer brake line which I currently have on order from Spiegler. It seems as if the other cable are long enough, after you reroute them. I did have to drill out the triple tree to accept a 1/2" bolt. Let me know if you need more info.

·
Registered
448 Posts
is that the removable windvest screen? looks nice. what height is that and how tall are you ?

Thanks , Erwin

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It is the Memphis Shades 18" Pop Top sport screen. The hardware mounting kit is MEM9937. I'm 5' 7" tall.

·
Registered
448 Posts
thanks for the info.
any comments on it?
Is it easily removable, any kind of wind buffeting,etc.....

Erwin

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The screen is real easy to take on and off. It has 4 alen screws that you loosen and the screen just pulls right off. I can feel some wind buffeting, but not a lot. I just use it in the winter time and I haven't been on a long ride, so it really has not bothered me. From what I hear...installing lowers will take care of the buffeting!

·
Registered
32 Posts
TBA front brake line is right close to 41 to 42 inches.

·
Registered
98 Posts
i put 4inch risers with 2 1/2 inch pull back on my speedy and i had to extend both throttle cables 4 1/2 inches, i routed them down behind the triple trees and as standard down the left side under the tank, my brake line actually didnt need extending, hope this helps.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Those look great but I don't think I'm gonna do any more to my Speedy, I'm trying to talk my wife into taking it so I can get a R3.

Spanky. :idea:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts