Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a heads-up for you Arizona riders: as of Jan 1st, if your plate frame obscures the word "Arizona" on your tag you can be whacked with a $135 fine. Apparently the state issues so many different varieties of tags nobody can tell which state is which without the word visible.

Though the law is primarily aimed at cars and trucks it might also be applied to motorcycles.

Source:

http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/2008/12/10/20081210platecover1210.html

It will be up to officers to determine whether "Arizona" is clearly visible. Sanders said most violations would be obvious. Drivers with out-of-state plates are exempt from the law.

With less than a month before the new law takes effect, the Arizona Motor Vehicle Division is encouraging motorists to check their plates. There are about 6.7 million registered vehicles in the state, and no one can say how many might be affected.

"Most people only go look at their license plate when they put their new sticker on when they renew their registration," said Cydney DeModica, an MVD spokeswoman. "The real bottom line here is that everyone should walk around and look at their license-plate holders on the back of their cars."

It's advice that even lawmakers need to hear. On Tuesday, half the 26 vehicles in the Arizona Senate parking lot bore frames obscuring the word "Arizona."

·
Registered
58 Posts
It's called "revenue enhancement."

Just one more obscure, worthless POS law to get their hands on your wallet.

Now, if it was illegal to obscure the plate itself (I see this all the time. Hitch balls, mostly) that would at least give the appearance of trying to make sense...

But hey... they're the gubbmint... they don't need to make sense...

·
Registered
10,209 Posts
I don't think that it's "revenue enhancement", although that might be a by-product. Apparently, with the multitudes of special-edition license plates now available in various states, it's no longer very easy to identify the state from the look of the plate, when that becomes necessary.

Even little Maryland has three completely different styles of license plates (standard, Chesapeake Bay, and "farm"), along with the vanity organization plates, which are superimposed on the standard style.

Unfortunately, the Chesapeake Bay plate is not available for motorcycles.

·
Premium Member
24,231 Posts
I was fined once here in the sunny state of Queensland in Australia for having my plate obscured, actually it was just old and faded but I got an $85.00 fine and had to get new plates.

I actually paid the fine and then repainted by hand my old plates!
Cheapskate that I am!:p

That Law still applies here, some motorcyclists are in the habit of flipping there rego holder (4" x 5" plastic usually) over their plate to make it harder for Plod to get a visual on the plate number, this is also an offence.

DaveM:cool:

·
Banned
10,016 Posts
It's called "revenue enhancement."

Just one more obscure, worthless POS law to get their hands on your wallet.

Now, if it was illegal to obscure the plate itself (I see this all the time. Hitch balls, mostly) that would at least give the appearance of trying to make sense...

But hey... they're the gubbmint... they don't need to make sense...

No it is called..........

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
From a Zonie.....
All motorcycles in Arizona might be in trouble, it doesn't say "Arizona" on an Arizona M/C plate! It just has "AZ" at the top center. My Tiger is "legal", my NX650 isn't because the University of Arizona frame is about an inch wide at the top. The new NX125 doesn't have a plate frame and the CT90 isn't licensed. I can't wait until they require front plates on motorcycles and we all get those stylish plates on the front fenders like you see on 1930 Triumphs! I'm thinking of getting one of those LED plate frames that have messages streaming across them. Any ideas about what it should say?

·
Premium Member
4,566 Posts
I was fined once here in the sunny state of Queensland in Australia for having my plate obscured, actually it was just old and faded but I got an $85.00 fine and had to get new plates.

I actually paid the fine and then repainted by hand my old plates!
Cheapskate that I am!:p

That Law still applies here, some motorcyclists are in the habit of flipping there rego holder (4" x 5" plastic usually) over their plate to make it harder for Plod to get a visual on the plate number, this is also an offence.

DaveM:cool:
Yes that law applies in NSW too Dave. 'cept the fine has gone up to $324 and 3 demerit points on your licence.

Still as long as I get caught only every 2 years, it's a helluva lot of cheaper than $12 a day in tolls :eek:. I'm not only cheap, but refuse to pay the same toll as a car which weighs 6 times more than the Tiger.

Russ

·
Registered
245 Posts
some motorcyclists are in the habit of flipping there rego holder (4" x 5" plastic usually) over their plate to make it harder for Plod to get a visual on the plate number, this is also an offence.
nice idea. i'll have to give this a shot. i hate tolls.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
I disagree about revenue collection for a community. It's all about "Probable Cause"

PC is a term the courts use to determine whether or not the police have a right to stop you. Be it on foot, on bicycle or in a car. There has to be PC for the stop. So they basically invent every crazy law in the book to be able to initiate a stop on you!

The new licence plate law is just one of hundreds the police have in their arsenal.

It is a proven fact that police stop a significant amount of crime using the "traffic stop" as a tool. Case in point, Timothy McVeigh was stopped for a expired tag on his car in Oklahoma.

You see, without silly little laws, the cops can't stop you. So lawmakers invent them. In Maryland they passed a seatbelt law recently. Not that you had to wear it, but that the cops could use the fact that you weren't wearing in to make a traffic stop. African American lawmakers in the Maryland Senate wanted to block it, because they thought the cops would have even more BS reasons to stop black people. You see here in the US most black Americans feel that white cops are racist and basically fill our prisons with BS charges just to get them.

http://www.journalism.umd.edu/cns/wire/1999-editions/10-October-editions/991015-Friday/BeltBias_CNS-UMCP.html

But I digress.

Here is a quote I copied from Wikipedia:

"In United States criminal law, probable cause refers to the standard by which a police officer has the right to make an arrest, conduct a personal or property search, or to obtain a warrant for arrest. It is also used to refer to the standard to which a grand jury believes that a crime has been committed. This term comes from the Fourth Amendment of the United States Constitution:

The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized."

So guess what, the cops could care less about your tag. They just need the reason to start the traffic stop. Without PC, you could have 100lbs. of pot, and it would get thrown out of court. Another little standard the Supreme Court invented. It's called the fruit of a poisonous tree.

There are so many traffic laws, that you basically could not drive down the street for a few miles and not break something. Seriously.

So, if any of you guys get pulled over for anything other that a DUI or speeding(those are serious public saftey issues) they are basically fishing for stuff.

revenue has little to do with anything.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I disagree about revenue collection for a community. It's all about "Probable Cause"

PC is a term the courts use to determine whether or not the police have a right to stop you. Be it on foot, on bicycle or in a car. There has to be PC for the stop. So they basically invent every crazy law in the book to be able to initiate a stop on you!

The new licence plate law is just one of hundreds the police have in their arsenal.

It is a proven fact that police stop a significant amount of crime using the "traffic stop" as a tool. Case in point, Timothy McVeigh was stopped for a expired tag on his car in Oklahoma.

You see, without silly little laws, the cops can't stop you. So lawmakers invent them. In Maryland they passed a seatbelt law recently. Not that you had to wear it, but that the cops could use the fact that you weren't wearing in to make a traffic stop. African American lawmakers in the Maryland Senate wanted to block it, because they thought the cops would have even more BS reasons to stop black people. You see here in the US most black Americans feel that white cops are racist and basically fill our prisons with BS charges just to get them.

http://www.journalism.umd.edu/cns/wire/1999-editions/10-October-editions/991015-Friday/BeltBias_CNS-UMCP.html

But I digress.

Here is a quote I copied from Wikipedia:

"In United States criminal law, probable cause refers to the standard by which a police officer has the right to make an arrest, conduct a personal or property search, or to obtain a warrant for arrest. It is also used to refer to the standard to which a grand jury believes that a crime has been committed. This term comes from the Fourth Amendment of the United States Constitution:

The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized."

So guess what, the cops could care less about your tag. They just need the reason to start the traffic stop. Without PC, you could have 100lbs. of pot, and it would get thrown out of court. Another little standard the Supreme Court invented. It's called the fruit of a poisonous tree.

There are so many traffic laws, that you basically could not drive down the street for a few miles and not break something. Seriously.

So, if any of you guys get pulled over for anything other that a DUI or speeding(those are serious public saftey issues) they are basically fishing for stuff.

revenue has little to do with anything.
I disagree. Getting pulled over is separate from probable cause for search, and nailing people with multi-hundred dollar fines for license plate frames (not to mention multi-thousand dollar fines for DUI) makes it far more about revenue than public safety.

The $50 tickets you get for red light cameras in NYC? Revenue. They are specifically noncriminal so you are not entitled to go in front of a judge to dispute them. No warning signs, and often a short yellow.

Violations can be primary (can pull someone over for it alone) or secondary (cannot pull someone over for that alone). Moving seatbelt laws and other trivial offenses from secondary to primary allows more tickets to be written and thus more revenue to be generated; violations that do not carry points are much less likely to be contested.

I've been to court once in the town in NJ where I live; it was so packed with people that there were no open seats, all the wall space was filled and people filled the hallway outside. Many many people were there for headlight or taillight out, or tag obscured tickets. Even when the driver presented receipts for fixing the issue they still got whacked with a $35 court fee. 40x35 = $1350 plus 4 DUIs for $3900/ea in fines (first offenses, all) = $15,600 plus 10 other random tickets (speeding, mostly - speeding in NJ runs $52-$202 and those numbers are doubled in 65 mph zones, safe school zones, construction zones, safe corridor area, etc etc. in addition to points off the license).

The court made $19,000+ in 4 hours that night, and that is a typical court night from what I'm told.

First-offense DUI over 0.10 bac:

$300–$500 fine
$230 IDRC* fee
$100 to drunk driving fund
$100 to AERF*
$1,000/year (for 3 years) surcharge
$75 to Neighborhood Services Fund
Unmarked cars, red light cameras, speed cameras, laser speed guns bought by insurance companies and given for free to police with a stipulation that they be used to write a minimum number of tickets each day, the $1000 fines in FL for improper tag mounting, etc etc.

It's all about money.

...and yes, these laws give cops more cover to pull over more people, but they do not ease the burden of proof for search.

·
Premium Member
4,566 Posts
.......It's all about money.

...and yes, these laws give cops more cover to pull over more people, but they do not ease the burden of proof for search.
As someone who is regularly, though hopefully not frequently, :D, pulled over, over the years I've got to disagree with the money statement.

Given the cost of the equipment, overtime etc., road fines make a fairly paltry contribution to the gov't budget.

However it IS an EASY way for pollies to be seen to be doing something about the road toll. It doesn't matter that we all know it has negligible impact, that education would be better etc.... Employing a few (10's or 100's) more police to "enforce" the law looks like positive action to the general public. That's all the pollies care about. It's too hard to fix the root cause, it's easy to do smoke and mirrors and cost effective too, as they do make a profit on it - but that's a benefit not the reason.

Russ

1 - 12 of 12 Posts