Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
09 bonny fi

just ordered a 2:1 arrow full pipe. should arrive today. any pointers in tuning? bike is bone stock otherwise. should i go ahead and get a K&N filter while im at it before i do the map or what? what has everyone found to be the best setup/tune? thanks

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
understand .... im not looking for tons of power or anything. i just wanted a nice exhaust and to have the bike run properly. if the stock air filter works fine, then im cool with that. i dont want to get into a ton of mods and have my MPG suffer.

id rather just be able to put the pipe on and call it a day. just wanted to know the best map for this. the bike will be in maryland if that matters as far as sea level, etc. i always use supreme gas btw.

·
Premium Member
4,862 Posts
This is my opinion only: The Arrows are excellent pipes. I have the 2-2s on my 09 SE. If you don't want to do anything else, the appropriate Triumph map will be fine, but if you add a K&N or do just about anything else, you should seriously consider a TTP map. But to take advantage of that you really need to remove AI, O2 sensors, airbox snorkel and baffle, install a bellmouth (eg TTPs Breathe)

This might sound like a lot, but it's not. The biggest expense by far are the pipes. The TTP map, Breath, DNA filter, AI/O2 removal kits maybe another $250. And if you search around here a bit you will find that those who have done these simple mods, like me, are extremely pleased.

Watch now as the others chime in, my guess is you'll get some similar and very good advice!

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This is my opinion only: The Arrows are excellent pipes. I have the 2-2s on my 09 SE. If you don't want to do anything else, the appropriate Triumph map will be fine
ok, that sound more like what id like to do. dont wanna hack it up or mod it too much. in its stock form, its already an awesome bike.

next question. when my exhaust comes, will it have the recommended map listed in the instructions, and if not qhich one is it?

and the stock pipes as you know have an o2 sensor of some sort in each of the pipes in stock form. is this something i wont be using with the new pipes? will it throw a code?

·
Premium Member
20,739 Posts
ok, that sound more like what id like to do. dont wanna hack it up or mod it too much. in its stock form, its already an awesome bike.

next question. when my exhaust comes, will it have the recommended map listed in the instructions, and if not qhich one is it?

and the stock pipes as you know have an o2 sensor of some sort in each of the pipes in stock form. is this something i wont be using with the new pipes? will it throw a code?
If you leave the air intake unmodified the standard Arrow 2-into-1 will do for now. If the exhaust comes from triumph it'll have some sort of voucher or instruction to get the dealer to load the appropiate factory map. It's included in the price.

As you are keeping the O2 sensors you'll have to transfer them onto the new pipes which will come with the threaded bosses already installed.

A couple of plugs are also supplied to block those bosses in case they're fitted to carbed models which have no O2 sensors. Save them for the future.

Don't turn the ignition ON while the O2 sensors are disconnected. If you do you'll get an instant MIL light.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Had an Arrow 2/1 installed on my 09 EFI 2 years ago . It was done by the dealer as they repaired it after some lowlife stole it . They put a triumph/arrow 2/1 map on it . At the time the engine was bog stock . It ran like a dream either with or without the baffle . The baffle is out all the time and was put back in for the MoT test last year . Apart from the volume going down , the bike runs equally as well . No fault codes but I don't know for sure if that is because the dealer put the arrow 2/1 map on it . I removed the AI a month ago and wished that I had done it sooner . No popping on a dead throttle which is a bit loud with no baffles in . The AI removal was dead easy and cost £2 , which was for 2 new mini sump plugs . I assume that supreme gas is high octane . The bikes run fine on regular gas .

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for the info everyone.

the pipes didnt come today :( so im assuming they will come tomorrow or prob monday. i bought them from a triumph dealer in the mid west because they had it in stock and they sold it to me for $850 SHIPPED. so not sure if it will have the map info in it or what. i guess i could take it to my local triumph place, but its a **** hole and id rather figure out how to tune it myself.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Had an Arrow 2/1 installed on my 09 EFI 2 years ago . It was done by the dealer as they repaired it after some lowlife stole it . They put a triumph/arrow 2/1 map on it . At the time the engine was bog stock . It ran like a dream either with or without the baffle . The baffle is out all the time and was put back in for the MoT test last year . Apart from the volume going down , the bike runs equally as well . No fault codes but I don't know for sure if that is because the dealer put the arrow 2/1 map on it . I removed the AI a month ago and wished that I had done it sooner . No popping on a dead throttle which is a bit loud with no baffles in . The AI removal was dead easy and cost £2 , which was for 2 new mini sump plugs . I assume that supreme gas is high octane . The bikes run fine on regular gas .
thanks for the info. when you say it ran WAY better with the ai mod, do you mean just fast, smoother, what?

and if i install JUST the pipe and get it tuned, there isnt going to be any popping or backfiring right?

·
Registered
61 Posts
When I removed the AI , the bike seemed smoother but I think most of that was due to it not popping on the overrun . No matter how you tune it , it will always pop until you remove or disable the air injectors . It is a simple job to disable them , just search the forums to find out how . It is equally as simple to remove them entirely , do not be afraid of it . You will read some posts from the few people who had trouble , but not from the thousands for whom it went perfectly .

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
When I removed the AI , the bike seemed smoother but I think most of that was due to it not popping on the overrun . No matter how you tune it , it will always pop until you remove or disable the air injectors . It is a simple job to disable them , just search the forums to find out how . It is equally as simple to remove them entirely , do not be afraid of it . You will read some posts from the few people who had trouble , but not from the thousands for whom it went perfectly .
is removing them as simple as just unplugging them? will it throw a code and have to be reset? or is it literally unplug and done? thanks

·
Registered
566 Posts
If you leave the solenoid unit under the tank in place (and connected to the loom) and just remove the rubber and metal tubing between it and the head, or block the air feed pipe between the airbox and the solenoid unit you wont get a fault code.

Another option is to remove it and fit a resistor in its place to fool the ECU or have it electronically disabled prior to the new 2-1 map download.

·
Registered
61 Posts
You can either block the airpipe from the airbox to the solenoid , or remove the whole set up including injector pipes in the heads , next to the spark plugs . If you unplug the solenoid it will throw a fault . I removed every thing except the solenoid and blocked off the injector holes and the hole in the airbox . If you use the search function on the forum , type in 'AI removal' and you will get loads of results to read . There is no point in me repeating it all . There are other ways to stop it throwing a fault but I will let you read about that on here . Good luck and happy reading

just read the reply above . sorry for the duplication , m2MQP can obviously type faster than me .

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
got the 2:1 pipe in today. Its installed. looks good. but i didnt want to start it & run it without doing the AI mod .... i figured since my stock pipes were SUPER blue, i didnt want the arrow pipes to change color either.

i called british customs to get an AI removal kit and they are out of them for like 3 weeks. W.T.F. any other kits available out there?

·
Premium Member
4,862 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yeah not really interested in removing solenoid and fitting the resistor. Just want the simple solution. I don't mind buying the kit from British customs but they want like $25 plus $15 shipping. Seems like overkill. Plus them being on backorder sucks now too.

Just want it done but everyone's posts and explanations are convoluted and incomplete. Still unsure of the step by step procedure

·
Registered
61 Posts
1. Remove tank (search forum for details )
2. Remove large rubber tube between air box and solenoid (LH side of bike )
3.Plug hole in airbox . I found that a plastic wine bottle stopper fitted nice and tight . Make sure that it will not fall out as you will have unfiltered air .
4.Remove hose between solenoid valve and blowback arrestor ( silver coloured lump forward of solenoid valve . )
5. Cable tie solenoid valve to bracket to stop it falling off . leave wiring connected .
6. remove pipes from blowback arrestor to injection tubes ( next to spark plugs )
7.Remove blowback arrestor .
8.Remove injector tubes . (either offset ring spanner or long box spanner . I think it was 12mm) ( I cut the tubes by crimping with wire cutters at the base and snapped them off and then used a normal socket .
9. Remove copper washers from tubes .
10. put copper washers from tubes on blanking plugs . These are M12 x 1.25 fine thread 16mm long . (Sump plugs from some nissan cars and the new BMW manufactured mini are perfect )
11. Put blanking plugs into holes where tubes were .
12. Replace tank .
13. Test ride and have a beer .

Allow yourself a few hours depending on your mechanical ability . If you are used to removing the tank and working on the engine , it can be done in about 30mins . Don't worry about it .It is really quite straightforward . Let us know how you get on .

1 - 20 of 31 Posts