Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It appears that I have won an online auction (yikes!) and will soon be the owner of a 2003 Bonnie. My question: How many on this forum own both and old and a new Bonnie?
And perhaps, Why do you own both?
Thanks, Todd 73 and 03 Bonnies

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
I have 3 of each. The new bikes are great for riding anywhere, anytime without thinking about them; the older bikes require a little planning and forethought before starting out on a long ride. Someday I might need to sell the new bikes, but I'll never, ever sell my '68 - I'm the original owner.

The older bikes look a lot better, and have a lot of class. The new ones are no doubt better transportation.

Dick

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
I had both. Sold the new one to buy another old one. So you can guess how I feel about them. :)

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
new and old

Hey Dkreidel, could you post a photo of that 18" wheel? The wheels IMHO are the least attractive part of the new bikes, not the pipes as many seem to think. The Harleyesque drop center rim should be replaced by a proper sized British rim. Anyone doing this???
Thanks, Todd

·
Registered
216 Posts
I had a new one, traded it away for another old one. I have 3 bikes with my most modern one being a '73 and I have interest in owning a modern street bike. A modern dirt bike however would be welcomed into my garage.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
The rear wheel is a polished Sum aluminum with polished SS spokes (up one wire gage) from Buchanan's. The newer bikes look better (and more like my older bikes) with the 18" rear wheel and hub painted black.

Dick

·
Registered
396 Posts
I've got a 2005 Bonneville that's nice... but I'd just as soon ride the BSA around. I just got the '72 Tiger's engine back in the frame today - we'll see how that goes.

I'd trade the 2005 Bonneville straight up for a early 70's Norton...

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a t140 es a t140d and a t140v.Have never ridden a modern one but would love to see how they compare,they sure look nice though.

·
Registered
552 Posts
I'm glad the "new" ones are available but to my eye they look a bit "porky" ...? The kink in the pipes doesn't help either.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I have an old and new bike.......

Yeah I love my 2008 Bonneville T-100. Its fast and smooth and dependable. Great retro looks too.
But I still love getting on that old BSA and kicking her over and tooling around by the seat of my pants. I don't push her too hard, but she'll do 70 mph easy. Its just a great feeling of old style riding. I made a little promise the the Beeza when I acquired the new Bonnie. And that was that I would always still ride her, and at least once a week. You can see both my T-100 and my Thunderbolt on the link in my signature.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
I'm glad the "new" ones are available but to my eye they look a bit "porky" ...? The kink in the pipes doesn't help either.
Good points! The kink used to make me crazy, and it looks particularly bad from the low angle I shot the photo above from. Actually, the head pipes could have been made much nicer with a larger radius like the old Beezers.
They don't just look porky, they are: my old T120R's feel like light weight dirt bikes compared to the new ones. I think they are about 100# heavier! That all said, the new ones are nice to go on a long ride, and they do have a lot of charm w/o some of the "quaintness" of the old bikes :>)

Dick

·
Registered
1,043 Posts

·
Registered
625 Posts
What's the 'kink' in the pipes? I don't see no 'kink' in the pipes.
The pipes on the new bikes like to be forced to dress and do things that are contrary to social 'norms'.

Seriously, though, there's an odd 'turn' in the pipes that looks a little clunky in most people's opinion.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Spent yesterday afternoon and earlier today helping a friend get his '02 (ish) Bonneville T100 sorted out. (Gummy carbs and mild neglect) I took it for a ride around the neighborhood and here's the deal ...

it's NOT cool like the vintage Triumphs ... in fact, I still don't even like that the word 'Triumph' is on it ...

However ...

it is a nice bike to ride ... makes good power ... comfortable ... is a large enough chassis to handle highway riding, etc ...

I will now say that I won't 100% rule out owning one ... Sometime in the (relatively) near future, I will be getting some type of larger bike for the long rides and highway stuff ... would probably still prefer a StreetGlide or ElectraGlide or ex-cop Harley or something ... but the late model Triumphs are at least worth considering.

There. I said it. Please never remind me that this post just happened ...

1 - 20 of 31 Posts