Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question for you new 900 owners - Just picked my GT Pro up and rode it home (30 miles) and love it. Checked it over when I got it back and looked at the oil sight glass (the bike was upright) and the sight glass is completely full of oil (it is bloody hot here and the bike is super hot). I understand the bike comes from the factory with oil, so is this normal?

Anyone able to check there’s or remember what it was? I will check again once the bike has cooled off.

Also, do you check the level on the center stand or by holding the bike upright?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
464 Posts
Either center stand or hold her upright as long as you're on level ground makes no diff. It is easier to check the oil level while on center stand. :D

Chico

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Either center stand or hold her upright as long as you're on level ground makes no diff. It is easier to check the oil level while on center stand. :D

Chico
Any idea about the full sight glass?

·
Registered
464 Posts
I follow the instructions as you posted. I usually wind up on upper mark after restart and wait for several minutes. the next day it shows close to top of the sight glass. I leave it there and haven't had any issues. been doing that for years. Don't agonize over this, from the pic you posted you're fine, enjoy the bike and be safe.

Chico

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I follow the instructions as you posted. I usually wind up on upper mark after restart and wait for several minutes. the next day it shows close to top of the sight glass. I leave it there and haven't had any issues. been doing that for years. Don't agonize over this, from the pic you posted you're fine, enjoy the bike and be safe.

Chico
Thx. Didn’t post a pic but here’s one

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
No harm having a bit too much in there?

It’s the run in oil put in there in the factory. It would be highly unlikely they just pour in a guesstimate and almost certain your bike has exactly the same measured amount that every other a Tiger gets in the factory. It’s only in there for a few days - well should be anyway - while you ”gently” get everything working in unison. If you’re really worried, take it in for the first service a little early.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts