Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

161 - 180 of 210 Posts

·
Registered
621 Posts
I rode the Duc Streetfighter a while back... most uncomfortable naked I ever sat on. Could've improved since then, but Duc reliability is still an issue. The handing was nice, have to admit that.

·
Registered
605 Posts
I rode the Duc Streetfighter a while back... most uncomfortable naked I ever sat on. Could've improved since then, but Duc reliability is still an issue. The handing was nice, have to admit that.
Really? I have 50000 miles on my multistrada, 18000 on my 1098 Streetfighter - neither have ever let me down and been rock solid. Cant say that for my triumphs or my Japanese bikes. I just have no idea what guys are talking about with the perceived reliability issues. I've owned a dozen Ducs none have been any worse than other brands.

And honestly my streetfighter is super comfy for me - can ride it all day no problem

·
Registered
226 Posts
I dont know man, I rode the new SF and that V4 engine is a jewel. It's so smooth and precise it's a dream on the street and not anything like the old raw and nasty high strung twin.
The twins is what I was basing my comment on... I haven't ridden the new v4.... But to be honest triumph motorcycles are always my most enjoyable rides... and I don't say that just because this is a triumph forum.... I honestly believe the speed triple should take out bike of the year.... based on the data I have seen.

Ok maybe bike of the year was a bias comment.... But seriously... bike of the year
Sent from my SM-A115F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
605 Posts
To me it seems that Triumph, BMW and Ducati are leading the way in modern bikes. Every new Japanese bike that I've ridden in the last several years has fueling issues and their products are far behind in technology. Heck the GSXR hasnt seen a significant upgrade in 25 years, and Honda just keeps coming out with stupid products like the DN01 and the NX series .There's not a dealer in my state that inventories a CB1000 so I cant even get a look at it. Yamaha has some neat designs but they all have horrible throttle issues as does Kaw. I would like to get a ride on the new naked H2 though, even though its heavy it looks really promising.

I did buy a 2018 Z900RS because the design is so beautiful and the finishes are superb. But the fueling is absolute garbage and I've been trying to fix it for 2 years. I did finally find a decent ECU flash that has it working pretty good but we shouldn't have to go through that. Ducati also had the same problem for a while but the newest bikes are perfection as are Triumphs. My Thruxton is a joy to ride for throttle and engine character but those stupid brakes!

You never know, the new speedie could be an exception but we'll have to ride it to find out...

·
Registered
588 Posts
The new Speed is going to come with a lithium (guessing LiFePO4) battery. I just had one go pear shaped on Friday, presumably one cell got unbalanced. It puffed and got hot, but cooled down after 2-3 hours, and no fire. How are we supposed to normally keep a lithium battery balanced while installed in a motorcycle?

·
Registered
605 Posts
The new Speed is going to come with a lithium (guessing LiFePO4) battery. I just had one go pear shaped on Friday, presumably one cell got unbalanced. It puffed and got hot, but cooled down after 2-3 hours, and no fire. How are we supposed to normally keep a lithium battery balanced while installed in a motorcycle?
That's a good question. I've had a lot of experience with LiFe batteries in RC aircraft and they require constant balancing and maintenence of the individual cells or they go south very quickly. A123 (or LiFe) batteries are delicate but they are not known for being as dangerous as LiPo. Either way I don't want one on any of my bikes.

·
Registered
212 Posts
That's a good question. I've had a lot of experience with LiFe batteries in RC aircraft and they require constant balancing and maintenence of the individual cells or they go south very quickly. A123 (or LiFe) batteries are delicate but they are not known for being as dangerous as LiPo. Either way I don't want one on any of my bikes.
Hopefully like most LiFePO4 batteries they have an inbuilt balancer.
You would still need a proper charger.

Your can charge using a lead acid charger or better SLA profile lead acid.
Not ideal but works, but you have to remember to turn off the charger when the battery is charged...

So really gey the correct charger for the battery chemistry.

They are getting very common and Caravans / camper trailers.
I've got a 200ah LiFePO4 in my camper trailer.

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk

·
Registered
588 Posts
Yeah I used to do LiPo r/c pusher jets. I have a super fancy 10S multi-type charger that I used to initially drain the failed LiFePO4 (then hooked up to 1 ohm headlight bulb to fully drain). I think I will open up the failed Shorai battery, and see if there is any battery management system, now I am curious. I thought it was just 4 cells, because there is a 5 pin balance port.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
I dont know man, I rode the new SF and that V4 engine is a jewel. It's so smooth and precise it's a dream on the street and not anything like the old raw and nasty high strung twin.
That was always my complaint about anything Ducati....the on/off nature of the throttle in first gear in slow traffic situations. If it's going to be an everyday road bike, it needs to be able to handle everyday roads.

My '12 Speed could bop along in first or second gear with a smooth throttle response in any traffic, without the abrupt on/off throttle of the Ducatis.

When I hit the open road, the Speed responded accordingly.

·
Registered
588 Posts
The manual says electronic rev limiter is at 11400, and the latest videos show the dash red line at 11500 (aesthetics obviously).

Ah, the OM has the updated gearing info. Same 17/44 sprockets. Unless I did some math wrong, they really raised 6th gear rpms. From 4860 rpms now 5720 rpms @ 75 mph. Did I mess something up, top speed 150 mph 6th @ 11400? That would be less than the old bike. Maybe someone else can double check my results. Perhaps some mistake, as 765RS has 153 mph top speed in 6th @ 12500.

Primary 76/41 (1.854) was 1.75
Sprockets 44/17 (2.588)
1st 41/17 (2.412) was 2.733
2nd 43/22 (1.955) was 1.947
3rd 36/22 (1.636) was 1.545
4th 34/24 (1.417) was 1.292
5th 32/25 (1.280) was 1.154
6th 31/26 (1.192) was 1.074

If you punch all that into GearingCommander, it suggests 1st has been stretched, and 6th shrunk. In fact it looks nearly like Tuono gearing (except Tuono runs out to 13k).

Basically, it seems overall 7% longer 1st gear, and 1200 6th gear = 1050 5th gear. (1.75*1.074)/(1.854*1.192) => 15% shorter 6th gear now but only 6% more revs.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Assuming that OM data is right, except for 1st gear, the Speed 1200 really is a hopped up 765 RS. Of interest, power-wise, the Speed's 2nd gear is a Street's 1st gear with long legs, the Speed's 4th gear is the Street's 2nd gear with long legs, and the Speed's 6th gear is the Street's 3rd gear with long legs. ie, shifting 1-2-3 on the Street is approx 2-4-6 on the Speed.

Full screen your browser, and close the dropbox login and lower pop-up and right side menu. Choose the spreadsheet tabs along the bottom.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Hahaha, looks like it's a Rocket 3 for you! :ROFLMAO: iirc you've got the other ultimate torque machine already the SDR. (y) Will stick with my Speed pre-order, it's gonna be fire.

·
Registered
556 Posts
@xorbe or someone else, can you explain what's bad about that? (post #174) I honestly don't understand and am probably missing something.

What it appears to me based on @xorbe 's comment here and on the thread in the Street Triple section is that when you compare speed to power when you're in 2nd gear on the Speed that's the same (or very similar) to being in 1st gear on the Street. That got me thinking about what it's like in 1st on my Street (or 2nd or 3rd) and how that would feel the same(?) on the Speed (in 2nd, 4th, 6th).

If I get understand what's being said, isn't that a good thing? To me that means the acceleration, responsiveness, and sense of power I feel on my Street Triple in 1st gear, I would be able to feel in 2nd gear on a Speed Triple. To me that means, the Speed has more power and torque and is able to accelerate in 2nd gear like my Street Triple does when it's in 1st gear. Also, that seems to me that 1st gear on the Speed is going to be that much faster/powerful/torquey than 1st gear on the Street. Same is true when you compare 4th and 2nd, 6th and 3rd.

What am I missing?

Reactions: xorbe

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
Top speed. Suggesting 6th gear on the 1200 is the same ratios as 3rd on the 765 is a bad thing because there's no rpm's to make up top speed. I don't expect this could possibly be correct as triumph got everything else right. My sdr tops out around 95 mph in 3rd with stock gearing and it's scary quick, point being the new speed will handle taller gearing and still be fast, At this power to weight contact is the equalizer.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Top speed. Suggesting 6th gear on the 1200 is the same ratios as 3rd on the 765 is a bad thing because there's no rpm's to make up top speed. I don't expect this could possibly be correct as triumph got everything else right. My sdr tops out around 95 mph in 3rd with stock gearing and it's scary quick, point being the new speed will handle taller gearing and still be fast, At this power to weight contact is the equalizer.
I guess I hadn't really thought about top speed, but I can see where someone would be disappointed that it doesn't top out higher than the Street Triple or just higher in general. If, like you said, the information is correct, in some ways I'm surprised it doesn't have a higher top speed. But in some ways I'm not... It is, after all, a naked street bike ("street first"). I don't know. For me, 150 mph is more than enough both due to the size (or lack there of) my balls and due to the bike having no wind protection.

But, like I said, I hadn't really thought about top speed. That aside, I bet it's going to be pretty quick!

·
Registered
588 Posts
@Kraxmel - I wasn't trying to suggest anything bad, just be aware that 6th is apparently shorter than before. Some people prefer a long non sporty 6th for cruising freeway. I think you got my intended meaning from the charts right, the new bike looks very strong. If the OM specs are correct, every gear on this bike is aggressive, no "cruising" gear, that's all.

sense of power I feel on my Street Triple in 1st gear, I would be able to feel in 2nd gear on a Speed Triple
Right that's exactly what I meant. Please note that as far as I know, big whp bikes get their first few gears electronically torque limited, so the 765 to 1160 gap may not be as big as a theoretical chart suggests. Also, the 765 has a small but non-zero all-up weight advantage.

Suggesting 6th gear on the 1200 is the same ratios as 3rd on the 765
@steve59 - Clarification, I'm not saying Speed 6th is Street 3rd ratio. I meant Speed 6th is delivering similar power per mph as Street 3rd (which sounds amazing). Street and Speed gearing are similar except for 1st, each gear tops out similar mph. But yeah you got the part where 6th revs more than the 1050. The new 6th is about like the old 5th wrt revs, and slightly longer than 765 6th but the 765 has more revs so top speed is slightly higher (per GearingCommander estimations).

Edit: 765 is 241 kph / 150 mph max, they are both going to have the same max top speed (wrt gearing). Talk about cloning the Street with a bigger engine.

Ahh, that's why Lamb Chop Rides calls the 765 a mini Tuono, I see now.

161 - 180 of 210 Posts