Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

181 - 200 of 210 Posts

·
Registered
556 Posts
@Kraxmel - I wasn't trying to suggest anything bad, just be aware that 6th is apparently shorter than before. Some people prefer a long non sporty 6th for cruising freeway. I think you got my intended meaning from the charts right, the new bike looks very strong. If the OM specs are correct, every gear on this bike is aggressive, no "cruising" gear, that's all.
Gotcha. I wasn't sure and then I saw @steve59 's reply. It makes sense wanting a taller final gear for cruising. I know when I took my Street to Oregon and back there were lots of stretches where the motor just sat at 7-8000+ RPMs for miles and miles at a time and a taller gear would have been nice. I can seeing Triumph not putting it on in too because maybe that's not the intention of the bike...??? I took another look at your spreadsheet and 77 mph is 5,000 RPM vs 7,500 on the Street... so there's that too. (I was looking at power)

Right that's exactly what I meant. Please note that as far as I know, big whp bikes get their first few gears electronically torque limited, so the 765 to 1160 gap may not be as big as a theoretical chart suggests. Also, the 765 has a small but non-zero all-up weight advantage.
Ya, I think I've seen that on even mid-range bikes. I'm really tempted by the new Speed (obviously). I definitely want to ride one. Hopefully the dealer will let me borrow one when I bring my Street in for it's 12k service. :D

Reactions: xorbe

·
Registered
588 Posts
Did anyone else notice the oil/filter change procedure in the OM? Seems like the oil filter cover is captive between the block and sprocket cover by the lower left sprocket cover bolt. And then some tubes and wires are routed by a wire guide attached to the oil filter cover.

oil.png

·
Registered
161 Posts
Shouldn't be too long now before there are test ride reports.
Will have to wait until the usual Triumph fan boys, where there is never anything not perfect with the bike are finished before there are some more real world reviews.
Triumph will be selling the new S3 in Thailand. Last S3 sold here was around 2013 due to taxes and pricing but now with the manufacture in Thailand the taxing will be almost bearable, i hope anyway, no price release for Thailand as yet.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Hopefully like most LiFePO4 batteries they have an inbuilt balancer.
You would still need a proper charger.

Your can charge using a lead acid charger or better SLA profile lead acid.
Not ideal but works, but you have to remember to turn off the charger when the battery is charged...

So really gey the correct charger for the battery chemistry.

They are getting very common and Caravans / camper trailers.
I've got a 200ah LiFePO4 in my camper trailer.

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk
I'VE HAD A BALLISTIC LITHIUM IN MY BIKE FOR 7 YEARS ,NEVER USED A PROPER CHARGER AND NEVER HAD AN ISSUE WITH IT ( JUST SAYIN' ), AND I'VE NEVER GOTTEN MORE THAN 3 YEARS OUT OF A CONVENTIONAL BATTERY

·
Registered
114 Posts
Like it. But to late. Already bought the super duke. Have a street triple for sale. Because of it. Always A place in my heart for Triumph
Same except I traded in the S3 for the SDR - also wouldn’t give the steam off my piss to the local Triumph dealership nobs let alone $20k

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #187 (Edited)
....except I traded in the S3 for the SDR - also wouldn’t give the steam off my piss to the local Triumph dealership nobs let alone $20k
's funny, pretty sure I've seen this before on a KTM forum "..... except I traded in the SDR for the S3 - also wouldn’t give the steam off my piss to the local KTM dealership nobs let alone $20k" .

BTW I have a 1050 Speed Triple and a 1290 Super Duke but can't decide if I'm doubly blessed or doubly cursed. ;)

·
Registered
588 Posts
Yeah I didn't get the point of quoting a post from 8 months ago just to sh*t talk Triumph in a Triumph forum, why is that poster even here, after suddenly returning from a 3 year absence today.

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
There's no point to comparing the old s3 to the sdr or any of the other hypernakeds. Besides If somebody wants to spend their money on something thats not grabbing the latest headlines, who cares? For all I know the new s3 will make all us sdr owners come back to triumph. For awhile there I had multiple triumphs and they hired the HD marketing guy and triumph wet stale, now it looks like they're investing in R&D again and good times for triumph.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Maybe i need another coffee, or to wake up a bit more this morning/today, but i don't understand the issues from around page 9, about top speeds and maybe the the new S3 being lesser because it doesn't do more than 240 kmh/ 150 mph.
Thanks for doing all of the maths though, found that interesting.
Not attacking anyone's opinion or concerns but really how many owners of Street or Speed Triples actually see the top speeds of their bikes on the road? I'm not interested in seeing those sorts of speeds on the roads that i ride as the risk to reward ratio just isn't there especially once the danger factor is included.
Roads might be far more amenable to these speeds in Europe or the US.
Do those speeds in Australia on the road and prison would be a certainty and you may never see a licence again this life time, or for a very lengthy period indeed.
For the track if that isn't enough speed change the gearing by rear sprocket teeth reductions as i'm sure the engine will have the power to pull the taller gearing in top gear.
Sort of sounds like some people won't buy bike A over bike B is it has three less HP when the bikes on paper produce already excessive HP for the road. Possibly hence the reduction in S3 sales over the last few years even though some test showed the S3 quicker at the track to the higher HP of the opposition.
The people who buy the bikes listing around 200 HP are kidding themselves if they think that they are getting all of that HP to the ground. That is why there are so many electronic interventions on the high HP bikes so they are rideable.
There was something on you tube about an old 2005 GSXR 1000 being compared to the 2020 V4 Ducati Panigale V4S with massive amounts of HP and the Ducati wasn't the quicker of the two bikes even when they swapped riders.
Just pointing out that massive amounts of HP don't instantly make the bikes massively faster in the real world, probably other than in a straight line drag at speed as the high HP bikes won't get a lot of their HP down from a stand still.
It is a bit long but check out the last part where they do the track comparisons.

mcnews.com.au had dyno charts comparing 2018 S3 RS to 21RS and i compared that to a dyno chart that i had for the Street RS and guessing where i ride power/rpm wise on the 765 i looked at the new S3 figures and presume that i will be riding the same corners at 2-3K less RPM especially when considering the large torque increase of the S3 compared to the 765 and now with less of a weight difference between Street and Speed models. Don't see if i have the new S3 that i will be much, if any, quicker on the same roads that i ride. What i am interested in the new S3 is that i would be riding at the same or similar pace, where i usually ride, with more amount of drive out of the corners, with torque considered, with considerably less revs. That is why i like riding 1200 speed twin for the out of the corner drive that large amounts of torque give you.
Knowing that i currently am not using all of the available 121 HP of my 765, other than being able to justify the cost, and find the money to purchase the S3, would there be much real benefit in the outlay of funds other than having more power on paper, but having better suspension and new electrickery etc and a shiny new toy.
For my considerations top speed of the bike, compared to other bikes, won't enter the equation.
Still will be very happy when i am able to test ride the new S3 and see how much of my theories on paper pan out to the actual real world ride of the bike. My bank account wants a negative but the the bike lunatic in me wants to feel a big difference between what i have now and the new S3.
I liked the look of the twin pipes under the seat of the previous models however when i looked how close the pipes leading to the mufflers cam to the rear shock i would prefer the side pipe of the new S3 for functionality. Not only is the weight lower but the last thing i would want is those two pipes adding to the heat of the rear shock which i presume would have to be a negative affect on the performance of the rear shock.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Maybe i need another coffee
Correct. We weren't considering top speed for top speed, but its rpm effect on freeway cruising in 6th gear. If I wanted to go 150+ I'd get a partially faired Tuono. Triumph marketing said "the other naked bikes are sportsbike derived, but ours is road focused first" ... but then the gears are ratio'd much like a Tuono now it seems. I think it would have been nice to have fire in gears 1-5 and then a relaxed 6th. On my other bike, 6th is 2.85x longer than 1st. The 1050 was 2.55x longer. On the Speed 1200 it's only 2.02x longer -- so, 6100 rpms at 80 mph. Does it matter? Do I care? Beats me, I haven't ridden the thing yet! This is just by the numbers, that's all.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Correct. We weren't considering top speed for top speed, but its rpm effect on freeway cruising in 6th gear. If I wanted to go 150+ I'd get a partially faired Tuono. Triumph marketing said "the other naked bikes are sportsbike derived, but ours is road focused first" ... but then the gears are ratio'd much like a Tuono now it seems. I think it would have been nice to have fire in gears 1-5 and then a relaxed 6th. On my other bike, 6th is 2.85x longer than 1st. The 1050 was 2.55x longer. On the Speed 1200 it's only 2.02x longer -- so, 6100 rpms at 80 mph. Does it matter? Do I care? Beats me, I haven't ridden the thing yet! This is just by the numbers, that's all.
Thanks for the explanation, makes more sense to me now.
If that would be the only concern could a gearing change make the difference you require although i understand it won't give you a taller top gear only it would obviously affect all gears.
Same as for me they, any manufacturer, never seem to make a bike exactly as i think it should be, lol 😁

·
Registered
588 Posts
I think 6th gear should top out at redline and any owner can tweak final ratio to taste.
Agreed, but if the 121 hp Street Triple only stops at 150 due to gearing, guessing 178 hp could have been geared for 175 mph and still top out red line. Definitely not suggesting they should have done that, just an observation. Of course, the USA has a tremendously huge freeway system that Triumph's home market lacks, California alone is almost twice the size of the UK.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Still nothing in dealers etc, Triumph said March release, more delays?

181 - 200 of 210 Posts