Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 209 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Hmmm. It does look nice. My '06 S3 was a great bike. I wonder if it will finally catch up with the rest of the super/hyper naked crowd as far as power and handling is concerned? I'd love to say, "nah, I'll have the S3 instead of a Super Duke R or Tuono V4" when I go shopping soon.

·
Registered
2000 Speed Triple 955i
775 Posts
That's definitely a new engine, the shifter shaft is above the gearbox now and the starter/clutch covers are a different arrangement. Hopefully it keeps the same frame mounting points so I can stick one into my old bike in about 10 years haha

·
Registered
9 Posts
Couple years from now, we will be at 1.8L nakeds, LOL. Keep adding CCs, I personaly dont get it, don't care. But I guess you have to impress with HP numbers.
Actually they are adding CC to meet Euro 5 regulation. Others have done it well. So the performance might be pretty same as in current version but new one meets the regulations, current doesn't.

·
Registered
161 Posts
New Speedy looks nice, will be good when we can get specs such as seat height and how the diet went. Just hope that Triumph doesn't do cost cutting/profit maximizing as it appears that they have done with other models with Brembo Stylema brakes. At the shop the other day and the Rocket, 1200 Scramblers and 900 Tigers all have Sunstar front disc rotors matched with Stylema calipers. Sunstar make the rotors fitted to the Street Twin, T100, T120, Bobber. Could be wrong but don't see the rotors matching Brembos. Sunstar do make discs for numerous manufacturers though.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hmmm. It does look nice. My '06 S3 was a great bike. I wonder if it will finally catch up with the rest of the super/hyper naked crowd as far as power and handling is concerned? I'd love to say, "nah, I'll have the S3 instead of a Super Duke R or Tuono V4" when I go shopping soon.
Like it. But to late. Already bought the super duke. Have a street triple for sale. Because of it. Always A place in my heart for Triumph

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Always a place in my heart for Triumph
Same here. I've had almost every version of Triumph's triple (T300, Sprint RS, 955i S3, 955i Daytona, 675 ST3, Tiger 1050, 1050 S3) but wasn't getting the same buzz I've had in the past so have also bought a 1290 Super Duke. Wow, if ever a bike demands you pay attention and keeps you on your toes this is it. No matter how I try I cannot ride it relaxed. It gets tiresome but you know you've been on a ride when you get off. It is just so involving. Oh, and it's so complex it keeps you guessing as to when it's going to throw another random electronics error. I now use my S3 for those lazy Sunday afternoon runs - stick it in 6th and bimble along.

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
All 3 of my Bloor Triumphs had the dual headlights and wind buffeting was brutal with all 3. When I was getting tires on my sdr I took a storm for a spin and I was startled at the dirty wind coming off the bike, my speed triple was so bad earbuds would pull out of my ears. I would prefer the new s3 have some wind testing done and styling to help the bike create less turbulence. Once on my Storm equipped with the R3 large screen I got a tear in my eye riding on the hwy and my Mrs begged me to trade my R3 because the wind made her feel like a punching bag. A more aerodynamic design would also have less resistance at speed(obviously). I too love the look, but not practical on bikes intended to travel at +100.

·
Registered
464 Posts
I'm on my first and last Speed3R. I like it a lot, but the soft brake BS, left a very bad experience in my mind. My 1988 Hurricane and 2004 GSXR have perfect brakes on every pull, so Triumph can fo F'k themselves.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
It's a shame it's soured your S3 experience and that Triumph and/or Brembo aren't able (or willing) to see the harm they're doing to their reputation especially when your fix is publicly shared on forums such as this.

I think you should avoid KTMs as well - brilliant as they are they'd try the patience of a saint sometimes. Plenty of owners admit they drive them nuts but love the riding experience so much they forgive them. Shouldn't be that way though.

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
30,000 miles on gen 1 sdr with a split seam on the top rail that took me an hour and $6 to repair. The major service that included the valves being spec'd cost $725. and are recommended every 18,600 miles. idk which version KTM you're warning against, but the 1290 is proving to be a solid platform.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I agree, the 1290 is a solid platform, mine has been stellar but the flaky electronics software has tested my resolve. If only TuneECU was available to manage the MCU (I can live without being able to play with the maps in the ECU).

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
ive read onc the track pack is unlocked The difference systems react differently to different ride modes and can be infuriating to learn, still the 2020 is dyno’d with 172 hp stock and low rpm lugging much improve. I appreciate the concept triumph was going for, torque of a twin, top end of a 4 pot, and if they can get there I’ll be proud to have one back in my garag. Here’s to 2021!

1 - 20 of 209 Posts