Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been off a Triumph for about 4 years when I sold my 2011 Thruxton. Feel in love with the new ST so I’m back on a Triumph once again. Now it’s of course time to do some mods. I do have some questions as Im slightly out of the loop on these newer bikes.

1. Exhaust- I’m torn between the TEC 2 in 1 Raider or a set of Cone Shorty mufflers

2. Pretty sure I’d like to remove the cat and add a Motone or Cone X-Pipe

3. TEC Tail Tidy FEK

4. TEC Sump Guard

At what point do you need a Tune Re-Map with these newer bikes?

Thanks for any guidance or help with this.
ASO544

·
Registered
188 Posts
Well the Tec 2-1 is an instance de-cat so you wouldn’t need point 2 If you go that way.
Personally I don’t like the 2 in 1 as I like the twin look and I prefer the sound from a the twin mufflers (aftermarket cones) with de-cat. but each to there own.
the 2-1 is a bit of a missed opportunity. If they Stuck it out the left it would make chain maintenance easier at least.

I have the Tec tail tidy and I don’t like the fit, i made some modes to it myself to make it neater but if I had my time again I would get anouther brand.

you won’t need to tune with any of the normal upgrades until you go for cam swap. But a tune never hurts as it not too expensive and makes

have a look at theses threads for more ideas and info.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I have a TEC 2:1 rebel exhaust on my t120, and honestly I was expecting better results. Yes it's an automatic decat and also a weightsaver, but I ran into a lot of little irritating fitment issues during installation, and the exhaust note I ended up with is kinda...boring. I remember the TEC xpipe installation was a pain as well, but at least I saw immediate gains in power and sound. Imo the gasser custom slip-ons i had on before sounded much better, but obviously the header assembly was much heavier. The TEC pipe will definitely make your bike more zippy, but the quality and tone may disappoint you. It's also difficult - though no impossible - to use other slipons with the TEC pipe as the pipes diameter is wider than stock.

So TEC is hit or miss from my experience, but having said that, if they ever release a straight 2:2 system I'll be buying because there's just no other company selling performance mods at reasonable prices for Triumph's like they do.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I did a few small things today. Kinda went rouge and modded my own FEK/Tag Relocation.

Pretty Simple...took about 15 minutes to accomplish and definitely looks better for now Until I decide what brand to go with.
I also pulled my snorkel since I was there And removed the reflectors on the front forks.

also....is this piece for a trickle charger hook up ?

As for my exhaust...I’m seriously leaning toward doing the Cone Shorties and seeing how it sounds and then going Xpipe/Cat Delete if I’m not happy. I really like the look of the Brushed Cone Shorty in both finish and overall size And appearance. If I read correctly, these could be added without a tuning / re- mapping concern.

·
Registered
188 Posts
also....is this piece for a trickle charger hook up ?

As for my exhaust...I’m seriously leaning toward doing the Cone Shorties and seeing how it sounds and then going Xpipe/Cat Delete if I’m not happy. I really like the look of the Brushed Cone Shorty in both finish and overall size And appearance. If I read correctly, these could be added without a tuning / re- mapping concern.
the plug must be an addition for 2020. Not on my 2019. What does it say on the cap? Looks aftermarket.

yea, no tune for the shorty cones.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Looks like a trickle charger hook up. My dealer installed on on my bike before I picked it up. I had an idea that's what it was, but had to email them and ask to make sure. Check the connections and see if it goes to the battery.

·
Registered
188 Posts
First of heard of this happening and there’s been two instances. Seems odd to just put them on With no mention or reason.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It’s an Optimate Charger Lead for a battery tender.... dealer installed

·
Premium Member
854 Posts
Seems odd to just put them on With no mention or reason.
My dealer told me they do it to keep the bikes in the showroom from getting flat batteries.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Mine too. They never even mentioned it to me. I just stumbled across it after I got the bike home and asked about it. They said it was to keep the batteries charged on the showroom and it doubles as a bonus for the consumer.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ordered my Cone Eng Shorties today... In-stock and shipped today so may get lucky and have them this weekend.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Mine never sat on the showroom floor. It was in transit when I put down a deposit and arrive 3 days later. I doubt a Aus dealer would do this anyway. Haven’t seen it on other bikes here at dealers.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Mine never sat on the showroom floor. It was in transit when I put down a deposit and arrive 3 days later. I doubt a Aus dealer would do this anyway. Haven’t seen it on other bikes here at dealers.
You're lucky - Mine was in transit when I put down a deposit and still in transit 3 months later!

·
Registered
188 Posts
You're lucky - Mine was in transit when I put down a deposit and still in transit 3 months later!
...And it didn't have a charger lead... or a free 1st service
I just went in at the right time (Friday). After the test ride I said I wanted silver. The rang me back that arvo and said there’s one coming next week into stock If I wanted. Put down a deposit and it turned up start of the week and I picked it up wednesday. I got it in Aug so still cold and not many bike sales. Plus the bike had been out for a few months already.

I never got a free service either. Being it was just an oil change and check I don’t think it would cost much and don’t think to ask. Nek minute $420 later. I was really pissed. Especially after another guy with a street twin was getting his done for free. I spoke to him and he said they just threw it in. He never Even asked.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts