Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long time Harley rider here, decided to test the Triumph waters with a T-120 Black to be my daily lane splitter as wrestling a 700# Dyna through rush hour traffic 43 miles twice a day has become a pain :D

I pick the bike up this Saturday, looking forward to learning a lot from the community here.

Cheers!
Mako

·
Registered
2003 TBS
1,401 Posts
Congratulations on the new ride, be sure to show us some pics.

·
Administrator
19,459 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

The Water Cooled Twins Talk forum is where you can connect with other new Bonneville riders. Introduce yourself there, post photos of your T120, and join the banter.

http://www.triumphrat.net/water-cooled-twins-talk/

Connect with local riders in the RAT forums. If you do not see a thread for your area, please start one.

https://www.triumphrat.net/rat-west/

You may also find local riders and local events in the Rides and Events forum.

http://www.triumphrat.net/rides-and-events/

Please share your rides with us by posting photos of your rides in the Ride and Trip Reports forum.

http://www.triumphrat.net/ride-trip-reports/

Enjoy some off-topic and often humorous conversations in the Biker Hang Out forum.

http://www.triumphrat.net/biker-hang-out/

There is much to our forum, so please make yourself at home, browse the forums, and join the conversation where ever it may interest you. We are happy to have you here.

Cheers!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You will very quickly understand why people own Harley’s (HOG) and ride Triumphs (RAT).
I've some 100K miles on Sportsters and Dynas, so I think I can qualify as having ridden them at least a wee bit. :)

That said, your point is well understood. The T120 is a very nimble and well sorted package, and is proving to be a much lighter bike to lane split in the lovely traffic we have in the SF Bay area than my Lowrider S.

The contrast between the two is fascinating: Riding them back to back has been a real edumication. Both bikes have their merits and I like them both very much indeed. The Harley stomps out the torque effortlessly compared to the T120, while the T120 makes rush hour white lining and traffic carving far less stressful given it's nimble handling characteristics.

I've not had the T120 up in the hills yet, but I expect it will be a very competent curve cutter (within the limitations of a touring-esque bike).

CYa!
Mako

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have the same bike. I love it. Took it to 100 mph a couple days ago on some desert country road where I live, went there effortlessly. Got plenty of torque for me, I did gear it down though with a larger 39 sprocket on the back :) - definitely more alive.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have the same bike. I love it. Took it to 100 mph a couple days ago on some desert country road where I live, went there effortlessly. Got plenty of torque for me, I did gear it down though with a larger 39 sprocket on the back :) - definitely more alive.

Enjoy!
Thanks!

I am not quite up to doing mods yet, still in the process of bolting on a windscreen, panniers and some other bits to make it long haul capable, but thanks for the tip on the sprocket change.

What work was needed to get the speedo and odo to work right with the new sprocket?

Cheers!

·
Administrator
19,459 Posts
I've some 100K miles on Sportsters and Dynas, so I think I can qualify as having ridden them at least a wee bit.
I learned to ride on a 1995 Sportster 883. Traded it for a Road King a year later. I had that Road King for years, toured around Germany and France on it for a few years before I moved back to the US. For a few reasons I gravitated away from The Motor Company, but bought myself another Sportster (1200 Custom this time) as a cruiser to accompany my sportbikes. I have never owned a Dyna, but have ridden a few.

If I were to be tempted by a Harley Davidson again, it would most likely be a Sportster or Dyna. I love the looks of them! Good, clean cruisers. And lighter and more nimble than the big baggers or softtails, with some decent cornering clearance (depending on model).

Years ago I saw a concept Dyna Superglide Sport built by a dealership in the UK. At first they were advertising it as the first of a new model and I got excited! But then they let on that it was just a shop custom. I was totally bummed. I thought it was the best looking Harley in a long time.

I sold that 1200 Custom back in 2005, and then my Aprilia RSV Mille in 2006. I went six years without a motorcycle. I considered a few Harleys, Ducatis, and Triumphs when I returned to motorcycles in 2012. I suppose I could have gone in any direction at that time. But an earlier Triumph had been my favorite motorcycle so the Speed Triple caught my passion the strongest. And now my garage looks like a min Triumph shop!

Now, you have a good mix of motorcycles but you are definitely missing a performance motorcycle. And the Street Triple and Speed Triple are amazing machines... :)

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If I were to be tempted by a Harley Davidson again, it would most likely be a Sportster or Dyna. I love the looks of them! Good, clean cruisers. And lighter and more nimble than the big baggers or softtails, with some decent cornering clearance (depending on model).
I've never liked full fairing bikes, too ponderous and just not a good fit for what I want to ride. Like you, I prefer HP:Weight ratios and a clean appearance over touring models.

Sean Patrick said:
And now my garage looks like a mini Triumph shop!
First world problems are just hell aren't they? :)

Sean Patrick said:
Now, you have a good mix of motorcycles but you are definitely missing a performance motorcycle. And the Street Triple and Speed Triple are amazing machines... :)
At my age, hugging a tank or riding a tall frame bike is about as likely to happen as hugging a cactus... :D I test rode the Bobber Black, the Speed Master and ended up choosing the T120 for the ergonomics (I am 6' 1") and largest fuel tank of the 3 (It's 42 miles to work and 42 miles back home, so range is a big consideration for me), though the Bobber styling is fookin' gorgeous.

Cheers!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thanks!

I am not quite up to doing mods yet, still in the process of bolting on a windscreen, panniers and some other bits to make it long haul capable, but thanks for the tip on the sprocket change.

What work was needed to get the speedo and odo to work right with the new sprocket?

Cheers!
I didn't do anything to the speedometer, I changed the sprocket before the 500 miles service and let the guys know so they could adjust the ECU for it. Not sure if they did, so it could still be off by a few mph.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts