Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm curious about the gear box. Will it break in more as I accumulate the miles? Right now I only have 88 miles on her (that will change with my 100 mile round trip commute tomorrow), and it feels a bit loose, compared to my SV. The throws are a bit long and it's kind of clunky. Not horrible, just a trait I'm not accustom too. I did a little practice emergency breaking from 50+ mph, so the box was in 5th or 6th as I came to a stop. I couldn't simply downshift while stopped unless I played with the clutch a bit. Will this trait continue as the miles pile on? I have to assume some of this is from being a new bike.

Anyway, I love it. It feels pretty nimble for a bigger bike, and it's incredibly easy to ride at lower speeds with an easy to modulate throttle. I'm really happy about that. I love the torque. I cannot wait to open it up a bit more!

Here are a few crappy cell phone pictures I snapped. One day I’ll use my SLR to really capture her beauty.

At the dealer next to Razor61's white S3

In my garage!

A happy coincidence that it's the same colors as my MINI Cooper S:

·
Registered
826 Posts
Break her in hard, then go to full synthetic at 500miles.

The gearbox will get smooth-er, but never be considered smooth.

·
Registered
367 Posts
The Triumph box will NEVER feel as good as a suzuki box. Suzuki make the best gerabox of any bikes IMO, so smooth!
Mine changes better when its higher in the revs and be sure to match the revs when downshifting for nice changes coming down in the gears. It should free up a bit in time, you will learn to live with it.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Yeah, the SV has a great gearbox, especially with the right oil. Actually, it's not the gearbox that bothers me (my GS had about as clunky a gearbox as you'll ever find) so much as the odd clutch action. Still trying to get used to that, but it's only been 3 days. :D

·
Registered
428 Posts
To get smooth upshifts, put your boot under the shifter and take all the slack out of the linkage, then pull in the clutch and lift, it will just fall into the next gear.

For down shifts, rev match and it will make better downshifts, but it is still a little clunky.

·
Registered
60 Posts
What I noticed in my 11 was it really started to smooth out "well Triumph smooth "about 4500 miles. Now I'm at 5700ish and its way better than those first few miles. Good advice with a little toe pressure before you shift. Start you tire selection plans now those tires that are on there now don't last long but i do like them they stick hard. Love these bike more than any other I have ever owned.

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Seems to be pretty normal with the Triumphs I have a 2012 America cluncky as hell to start with but after 2000k's it is a lot better just deed to keep the revs up to it.

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
It does smooth out, but it is still clunky. The first-neutral-second, is the worst. Rev match helps down shifts, upshifts after 2nd are pretty smooth.

·
Registered
656 Posts
The best way to describe my gearbox is that it is like a jap bike with a slack chain im used to it no probs.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I have noticed something similar with my S3. I recently bought an 07 S3 with only 3300 miles on it and have a "clunky" shift. I bought a brand new Thruxton in January and had the same issue. It did smooth out a little around the 4000 mile range.

·
Registered
91 Posts
8K miles on my 2011 purchased in January of 2012. Gearbox is still clunky. I even had it "adjusted" (twice) by my local Triumph dealer. Still clunky. I suppose we'll have to deal with it.

However, to downshift while stopped, hold in the clutch & roll the bike slightly forward. The teeth will find the groove. Works for me regularly.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Mine is still clunky with 6k on it. Is much better when i shift over 4k though. My harley shifted smoother. But, it is what it is. Only thing that really bothers me is the random ratchety freewheeling of the xmsn, before it slams itself into gear.

·
Banned
390 Posts
Same things are said about the tiger and believed all of them. Clunky,like a tractor,agricultural .My was all that till I learned the sweet spot for clutch adjustment and chain slack. mine are both right on now and my trans is silky smooth. Big test is this,if you cant get into n with engine on then your clutch has too much play,if it just slips on past and is difficult to find then its too tight. Adding a bit of preload to the shift leverbefore throwing clutch and changing makes a difference as well.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have to say, I have no issues getting it into neutral.

Did 100 miles today and getting use to the gear box. It does shift better with a few more revs. I think some of the "clunkiness" is me too; I'm still learning the clutch take in/out point, so I'm not as smooth as I could be. Although I do admit, even after 45,000 miles on the SV, I'm still a bit clumsy at times. :eek:

·
Registered
57 Posts
Don't use the clutch. It'll round the dogs off and eventually be smooth as silk.
Not sure if it will wear in a better way, but i only use the clutch when Im going from first to second in traffic and Im going slowly. The S3 has a clunky gearbox for sure, but something Ive noticed with mine (20 000kms) is to shift smooth its no clutch, let off the throttle only slightly, and dont pull the lever all the way up; just pressure on it until it falls into place.

That being said, owning 2 suzuki bikes and one honda, jap gearboxes are what dreams are made of.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Ive never used the clutch on any bike for upshifts really, no need to.

I do agree though, Suzuki know how to put a gearbox together! My gixxer track bike is so much nicer than the Triumph.

I will say the gearbox in the 675 Daytona/Street Triple is a lot nicer than the Speed Trip, I assume as the design is a lot newer.

·
Registered
85 Posts
As someone else mentioned, tiny bit of upward pressure on the foot lever and then just slightly engage the clutch and it should pop straight up a gear once you are in second onwards.
Down between first and second has a solid clunk though. Not like something wrong, just mechanical sounding.

Not sure what you are expecting though if you are stopping with the bike in 5th or 6th gear. If you really need to emergency stop in 5th or 6th gear then you probably aren't paying enough attention to the road/traffic.
Good braking should incorporate engine braking. If you are practicing 'emergency braking' ie it isn't a real emergency - you should be prepared to downshift at the same time. That way if you save yourself from running into someone else you might be in the position to take evasive manoeuvres when the cager behind you doesn't notice what is going on and decides to pancake you anyway.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts