Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up this 2008 model with 39,000km.
it looks like it’s been very well looked after ,and after a fairing removal looks like it’s never been on a dirt road or ridden in rain much.
I swapped out the stock front sprocket for an 18T straight away as I found it geared too high.
I only weigh 74kg, but find the stock suspension way too soft, specially the front, I can’t get correct sag even with the preload fully in. The rear I can live with for the moment.
Rides beautifully but gets untidy when pushed on less than ideal roads.
Seems to be charging ok ATM so I will swap out the stock RR for one from a 2013 FJR that I have laying around and solder the stator wiring when I get a chance.
I have a plug under the tank that is not attached to anything, and it’s been mentioned that it might be for the evap canister and now have a picture

I find the gearbox a bit of an old slapper compared to the VFR, and more worrying, I had it jump out of gear coming back down from either 5th or 6th when going hard twice today on my first 150km ride.
Not sure if this was due to a problem or just me not being more forceful after being used to my short lever stroke VFR.
The VFR had a small movement and gears clicked right in. I find the ST has a huge throw of the lever by comparison even though it does slot in easier than the VFR when doing clutchless upshifts.
Any ideas on this will be much appreciated.
FCE14297-A50B-4F41-BA4D-A9A150495695.jpeg

·
Registered
483 Posts
Nice bike, I see you’ve already jettisoned the pannier dumb-bell, passenger footpegs and Ventura rack.

Both my '08s (the retired parts bike and the replacement bike) have that same plug doing the same thing, ie nothing. They look like they have been cable tied out of the way by the factory. I've never touched them. Steve Ford's suggestion that it is for the charcoal canister (California only) is most likely correct.

Be aware too, that your Australian delivered ’08 Sprint may or may not have a catalytic converter, which will affect which version of tune you need if you update or change it. Have a look at the exhaust pipe behind the upright heat-shield and see whether it has a wide section at the bottom or not. In 2008 AU, NZ and ZE Sprints did not require cats to meet local regulations. My ‘retired’ 08 was actually built after the one that eventually replaced it. The retired bike has the cat, the replacement doesn’t.

I think the gearbox issues will pan out with a bit more use and experience. Triumph gearboxes are known to be tight at first, but wear in nicely after a while. I still get the very occasional false neutral, but usually only towards the end of a long ride when I’m getting lazy. 39000km sounds a bit high for still wearing in (although my 2nd Sprint which I bought at 17000km was still tight).

There are several threads available regarding suspension upgrades. Most recommend upgraded springs and Racetech Gold valves or Traxxion Dynamics cartridge inserts. That is a subject that deserves (and has) its own threads.

Keef.

·
2,950 Posts
I noticed that I could get a false neutral when rushing gear changes on my 1050. Is that what you may be experiencing?

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks everyone.
I did read everything I could find on this site before buying the ST.
I'm also experienced at rebuilding forks and creating my own shim stacks to my preference, and from what I've read the internals are good quality.
Front end dive I'll address straight away with a bit more fork oil.
Rear shock is harder for DIY and I normally buy an aftermarket option.
I did see that there was a lot of entries on false neutrals and jumping out of gear, but could not find any solid answers.
It didn't do it when I took it for a test ride, and I was aware of the problem.
I can't say I find jumping out of gear as an acceptable trait or user fault that can be ignored. I might need to inspect the indent wheel and arm.
The front brakes are something that could use a bit more power I feel, but I don't know what type of pads are in there at the moment, so will swap them out for EBC HH as I know how they perform.
If it makes no difference I'll have a spare set for later.
It sounds like I'm trashing the bike, far from it, no bike is perfect as is.
I have no idea if the mapping has been altered, but I'm interested in getting a cable and program to inspect what's in there, suggestions will be appreciated.
Is there any solid info on valve clearences? At 39k mine is comming up, but have my yearly WSBK via the long way trip comming up and don't have time to do it beforehand (I also do this myself on all bikes). I will have over 42k on it by the time I come back.
Thanks in advance for all suggestions.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sadly, I just checked fork oil height and it's already set to 115mm, I don't want to go any higher as I think stock is 130mm.
If anyone knows if this is wrong please let me know.

·
Registered
172 Posts
my investigations are here

you'll need to change springs - but should be able to make do with the stock valves - just re-shimmed
there are some other alternatives around if you search as well ..

the shock stuiff is in there - but there should be the forks early on ...

Rayman

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
On another subject, what is the consensus on the dumb-bells?
For the life of me I can't see how they make anything better, or why the hell they're there.
Should I remove the whole lot bracket and all?

·
Registered
19 Posts
On another subject, what is the consensus on the dumb-bells?
For the life of me I can't see how they make anything better, or why the hell they're there.
Should I remove the whole lot bracket and all?
I asked the same question. It's to allow the panniers to float side to side as needed to prevent high speed wobble. I have no links but supposedly it works. Weird setup though. No one else does it.

·
Registered
356 Posts
I asked the same question. It's to allow the panniers to float side to side as needed to prevent high speed wobble. I have no links but supposedly it works. Weird setup though. No one else does it.
Triumph uses a similar system for the Trophy panniers though it is adjustable and dampened and I don't think the engineers would add such a system - weight and cost - if they did not think it was needed. I remember reading some years back about the problems Honda had with the ST 1100 series, high speed stability problems that were present only with the bags attached but do not recall reading if or how they solved that issue. I have no high speed stability issues on either the Sprint or Trophy though can't say for sure if it's because of the side to side bars but somethings keeping them stable.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Triumph uses a similar system for the Trophy panniers though it is adjustable and dampened and I don't think the engineers would add such a system - weight and cost - if they did not think it was needed. I remember reading some years back about the problems Honda had with the ST 1100 series, high speed stability problems that were present only with the bags attached but do not recall reading if or how they solved that issue. I have no high speed stability issues on either the Sprint or Trophy though can't say for sure if it's because of the side to side bars but somethings keeping them stable.
I didn't know it was the ST1100 but I know it was (also)? the ST1300 as I have one. The fix was to not go too fast. I have gone plenty fast on mine and never had an issue but apparently some cops crashed badly because of it. I would guess, being that our 1050 panniers stick out like big ears on a schoolboy, that the engineers decided they needed this. Or the test riders did.

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
They kept the floating side and top cases into the GT as well so I guess they thought there was something to it.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sounds like they will come in handy, I better keep them.
Shame they sort of ruin the look of the clean back end when everything is off.

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
Do you know the last time your clearances were checked?
None of my Sprints have high mileage but my Tiger has done over 41,000 miles (not Km) and only one shim has required replacement.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Do you know the last time your clearances were checked?
None of my Sprints have high mileage but my Tiger has done over 41,000 miles (not Km) and only one shim has required replacement.
I don’t at the moment, but the dealer called me yesterday and advised he found the filled log book, receipts for work done and spare keys for this bike along other bits and pieces. I have to be happy about that.
Kudos to him for ringing me and not just throwing it out.

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
Maybe that will show when they were last checked.
If not, maybe take an evening to check them before your trip.
They're probably fine but it would be nice to know for sure.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Maybe that will show when they were last checked.
If not, maybe take an evening to check them before your trip.
They're probably fine but it would be nice to know for sure.
Picked up log book today, sadly it only states that they were checked at 20,000km.
So I'm no wiser.
I think I will leave it until I get back from PI with around 43,000km.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts