Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Buzz at Manayunk Triumph (Philadelphia, PA) is showing a new 07 Black ST ABS for $10,399.

I test drove an ST back in 07 when I was looking to add a different style of ride to my 05 GSF1200S Bandit stable. I bought an 07 T100, now with LOTS of mods.

My problem? I haven't been able to forget how terrific the ST felt that day on Kelly Drive when I looked at the speedo, and I was WAY over the speed limit and didn't know it. Smooth shifting. Excellent balance. Intuitive response to my brain for turning and leaning.

My question - is $10,399 a reasonable price to be asking in the dead of winter for this almost two year old bike? I've sold three bikes on Craigslist, but never in late December/January, so, if I approached this, I'd have to eat some serious cost on a trade-in.

I could always sit and wait and gamble that the bike will be there in the spring, but, as rock solid and dependable as my Bandit is, I can't seem to shake the memory of that ST ride.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
Ask the dealer about current promotions through Triumph on any new (never titled) ST. Cheap financing/ and/ or 800 in accessories...Triumph just extended these deals through the end of January 2009...see yer dealer for details...

·
Registered
29 Posts
I bought my used 07 two months ago, 1700 miles, purchased new in March of 08 so warranty is good until March of 2010, Two Brothers exhaust and aftermarket windshield. $6999.00 at Hermy's in Port Clinton Pa. Know matter how you look at it an 07 is two years old. I think you can do much better at this time of the year with this economy!

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
I paid under 10K for an '08 non-ABS in September. There's several more '08s (both ABS and non-ABS) available and likely for even less money now that it's the dead of winter and the '09s are out...

So from my perspective, 10.4K is way too much for an '07.

·
Registered
99 Posts
07 sprint

No way would I pay that, but that's me. Matter of fact I would be hard pressed to buy a new triumph because resale value sucks. You can pick up a used 06 or 07 for around 6 or 7 thousand. As much as I love my Sprint I would not buy a new one especially since there isn't much updated from the 06 to the 08. At least not enough IMO. But I do love the Sprint, one nice motorcycle!!!!

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
+1 to that being over priced all things considered.

I DID buy a new '08 Sprint - Why? I wanted to ensure it was broken in / serviced / etc properly from new & I am not overly concerned about resell value as I intend to keep it 'for the duration' or at least long enough that the recovery figure will no longer be an issue.

Wonderful bike, I absolutely LOVE it, so I can understand your desire - just suggest you shop around / perhaps make them an offer.

·
Premium Member
2,015 Posts
I DID buy a new '08 Sprint - Why? I wanted to ensure it was broken in / serviced / etc properly from new & I am not overly concerned about resell value as I intend to keep it 'for the duration' or at least long enough that the recovery figure will no longer be an issue.
+1 to that, I plan to keep it for years, and I feel I got a good deal on it new.

I also felt that there were enough updates over the leftover '06 I was looking at to buy a 2008.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I bought my used 07 two months ago, 1700 miles, purchased new in March of 08 so warranty is good until March of 2010, Two Brothers exhaust and aftermarket windshield. $6999.00 at Hermy's in Port Clinton Pa. Know matter how you look at it an 07 is two years old. I think you can do much better at this time of the year with this economy!
Hermys is a good ride from here, but his new and used bikes always seem reasonable. My buddy bought a nicely moded used 04 Thrux from him at a fair price. I guess I'll have to be patient and continue to look.

Thanks for the responses! I'm guessing that an ST is in my future in 2009. :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Selling Sprint

Hermys is a good ride from here, but his new and used bikes always seem reasonable. My buddy bought a nicely moded used 04 Thrux from him at a fair price. I guess I'll have to be patient and continue to look.

Thanks for the responses! I'm guessing that an ST is in my future in 2009. :)
Sent a private message regarding a 2006 Sprint ST that may be for sale in your area.

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
The price does sound high to me, as I watch the snow blow around outside & accumulate on my saddle... :p

That being said, though, Buzz is a good guy & Manayunk is a great dealership. The guy who sold me my first Hinckley bike still takes his '96 Adventurer to them for service, despite living here in Brooklyn.

Cheers,
-Kit

·
Registered
441 Posts
I guess I am alone in saying that $10,399 is a fair price for the bike. This should be below what the dealer paid for the bike, even with hold backs and other promotions from Triumph. So the question is how much should a dealer eat on a bike in order to sell it. Some dealers will really deal just to move a bike, others won't. And remember you still get a two year warranty on the bike, so that may be worth something over a used bike.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
KITNYC:
I agree that Buzz is a good guy at Manayunk. He has been more than fair in my dealings with him.

Garyhjd:
Your point is well taken about the two year warranty with a new bike. My T100 needed two tries to stop a weeping countersproket seal and would have exceeded the usual 12 month warranty on most bikes before it was corrected.

Manayunk is also only 7 miles away as opposed to a real hike to both Martin Motorsports and Hermys, should a serious problem arise. Things to ponder.

·
Registered
29 Posts
KITNYC:
I agree that Buzz is a good guy at Manayunk. He has been more than fair in my dealings with him.

Garyhjd:
Your point is well taken about the two year warranty with a new bike. My T100 needed two tries to stop a weeping countersproket seal and would have exceeded the usual 12 month warranty on most bikes before it was corrected.

Manayunk is also only 7 miles away as opposed to a real hike to both Martin Motorsports and Hermys, should a serious problem arise. Things to ponder.
Manayunk is about 15 miles from where I live, Hermys is 68 especially when I take the long way. I'd rather ride to the country then into Phila any day. I have heard good things about the Manayunk dealership however Hermys has earned my business. I've bought three bikes from them now, two BMW's and the Sprint and all three times have been great experiences. I do most of my own service but for the things I don't feel comfortable I bring it there and if it's something that I have to leave the bike for a day or a week they always have a loaner bike for me, no charge just bring it back with a full tank. Most of the time it's a new BMW the last one being a R1200R black with white pinstripes 300 miles on the odo. You may went to give them a chance to earn your business too!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts