Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, Just bought my second s3, a black 2003, sold my 98 t509 a few years ago when i moved to europe and have finally found a replacement. 7000 miles on the clock, been tipped over once (so i'm told) or twice (so i suspect), but it runs great and looks good, apart from some gravel marks on the frame, a slightly bent radiator and some scratches. I have no service history for the bike so first stop is the triumph dealer for a full service, check the valves, change all the fluids and set a base line for the bike.

alas, to my question, the bike does not have a flyscreen, my previous triple had the t509 bikini faring and it did a nice job of creating a pocket of air to tuck into. I found this handy during those summer thunderstorms, high speed sprints, and to keep some of the bugs off my jacket.

Is the pixie hat flyscreen for the 02-04 model year from triumph anygood? i don't like the looks at all, and has anyone tried to mount a new 05-09 S3 flyscreen or street triple fly screen to a 955? what does it require? Any other good options for decent looking flyscreens out there?

sorry it's long winded. thanks for the help, and it's good to be back.

·
Registered
84 Posts
The pixie hat screen works for me but I am sort of pixie sized - 5'4" and nine stone. When cranking on a bit if I duck down a bit it takes enough windblast away to stop any neck strain and makes the whole experience a lot more comfortable. I reckon for those of a more normal stature it probably does little or naff all ;)

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
955 with 1050 flyscreen... anybody tried?

Thanks squeek, I'll keep my eyes opened for a used fly screen on ebay.

still want to know if anyone has attempted to put the 1050 or street T fly screen on a 02-04 ST955.

my local triumph dealership is a BMW first triumph second dealership, I'm pretty sure they won't have much real experience with non standard changes.

·
Registered
453 Posts
I have an '03, the only relief the screen gives is if you tuck hard. With low rise bars or clip ons it might be enough. I only get benefit from mine if I tuck hard over 130 mph.
There are those that sell the adhesive screen to increase the effect of the flyscreen. I've seen them and they really do affect the airflow pattern around the front of the bike.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Yeah I have an 04 with a pixie hat which I just removed last week (the local triumph dealer had a spare instrument panel cover in stock as luck would have it!) and it made me realise that the screen did pretty much nothing. Indeed, as it concentrates the wind blast full on to the helmet, it is worse with it on imho. Plus as has already been pointed out...the pixie hat is fugly!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts