Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

41 - 48 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
I've always been to afraid to ride without full gear. I fully expect to crash someday and I just don't want to suffer through serious injuries.

·
Premium Member
2017 Triumph T120
958 Posts
I recently bought Kevlar long johns and a long sleeve shirt, they are great in summer. Ride with your normal clothes over them according to the weather and take off the protective underwear at destination.
The problem with Kevlar gear by itself is that while it may offer abrasion protection (if it doesn't move too much) it doesn't provide any impact protection. In hot weather, I wear a mesh jacket with D30 pads and Hood Jeans cargoes with D30 hip and knee pads.:dunno

·
Registered
147 Posts
The problem with Kevlar gear by itself is that while it may offer abrasion protection (if it doesn't move too much) it doesn't provide any impact protection. In hot weather, I wear a mesh jacket with D30 pads and Hood Jeans cargoes with D30 hip and knee pads.:dunno
I got the long johns with crash pads on hips and knees, shirt without them. They are also available with shoulder and elbow pads though. No option for back protection.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I got the long johns with crash pads on hips and knees, shirt without them. They are also available with shoulder and elbow pads though. No option for back protection.
Would that be the Bohn products or similar? How do you like them?

·
Registered
147 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
It´s a german manufacturer, doesn't look like they have any dealerships abroad:
https://www.sgs-armorshop.com/Abra-Guard-Black/Touring-Plus-Black/

I think they are very practical, and they are great in the heat. What I like less is that they start pilling after washing so they look used very quickly. The black finish dulls because of the pilling to gray.
Do you think that type of product is the safest/best crash protection? It makes sense to me, but I'm a newbie to riding. I don't like how other gear moves around so much, it feels like the armor would not stay in place or function correctly in a crash.

I don't know who is the best in the US for these products. I've heard of Bohn and Forcefield.

·
Premium Member
2017 Triumph T120
958 Posts
Do you think that type of product is the safest/best crash protection?
I imagine it would be if it fits you well enough so that the armor stays in place and the gear itself is comfortable enough that you will actually wear it on the bike.:dunno

·
Premium Member
2,425 Posts
Basically you need to consider two issues...impact and abrasion in a crash. Kevlar or the higher rated Dyneema (similar slide times as leather) will go a long way to saving skin/muscle from needing grafts.
D30 and other armour brands do a decent job from initial impact on vulnerable areas like knees, elbows, shoulders, hips and backs. Yes, they need to be in the proper position to do much good.
I wear riding jacket with armour in elbows, shoulders and back plus has a zipper to keep jacket attached to pants (Triumph jackets usually all have these). Lower half gets a pair of knee, hip armoured Dyneema jean from Saint (Australia made). Feet get proper motorcycle boots with armour toe cap, ankle and shin.

41 - 48 of 48 Posts