Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Bonneville SE (2nd one), 2010 Suzuki GZ250, 2006 Royal Enfield POS
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I remember meeting Jayson Britton once and he said "dress for the crash,not the ride" .thats allways been my religion .
you've got a convert with me now!

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
I've been wearing "motorcycle sneakers" which I know are only slightly better than running shoes or cross trainers. I need to break the habit. That and shorty gloves.

·
Super Moderator
3,197 Posts
Glad you're not too banged up.

This type of situation is why I ride ATGATT. Wasn't till I had an off that I started though. Got knocked off my Honda years back by an inattentive driver, I had my Doc Martins and jeans on. Shattered ankle (4 surgeries to fix) and skin graft on my thigh, all from a low speed urban off.

Some ppl make fun of my riding with armored riding pants and boots, but I never want a skin graft or pins in my ankle again.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I've been wearing "motorcycle sneakers" which I know are only slightly better than running shoes or cross trainers. I need to break the habit. That and shorty gloves.
My boots I should have been wearing are Chippewa MC boots very purpose made and almost bullet proof. Takes time to put on say an extra 4 minutes total compared to sneakers... but the risk is far greater with sneakers. I had highly ventilated shorty gloves on and had no problem they got torn up real good but offered good protection. I can see if I was ten mph faster they probably would have failed. I'm looking at some good summer gloves and maybe SIDI summer ankle boots. My knees got skinned off fairly good... enough to now buy and wear kevlar jeans with knee armor... at 20mph my regular jeans lasted 2 to 3 seconds out of 8 to 10 second slide. They wore thru in an instant it seemed. Never really thought about the road surface being so abrasive! :surprise:

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Glad you're not too banged up.

This type of situation is why I ride ATGATT. Wasn't till I had an off that I started though. Got knocked off my Honda years back by an inattentive driver, I had my Doc Martins and jeans on. Shattered ankle (4 surgeries to fix) and skin graft on my thigh, all from a low speed urban off.
Some ppl make fun of my riding with armored riding pants and boots, but I never want a skin graft or pins in my ankle again.
I agree... now I will never slip up and ride w/o the right gear just because it might be tiresome to put on. Sneakers were so much easier than purpose made boot. BUT I've never ever thought about how vulnerable my knees really are until now.

·
Registered
178 Posts
the foot was bashed a bit but nothing broken. right arm and knees got it the worst ...leather jacket worked well with spine and elbow armor I felt them working when I hit the ground and slid 20 feet... thank you gloves! My Shoei worked like a pillow I felt not one bit of head trauma though the ER guys said if I had no helmet there would have been lots of maxillofacial damage besides de-gloving the right side of my face. A nice early sunday morning quiet roads I suited up with everything (except boots!) to run 5 blocks to the store to get breakfast pastry for a nice morning with my wife and good coffee on the back porch. Just a simple run near home very familiar territory and a car driver that turned immediately in front of me no turn signal. happened really really fast. bike totaled. just about every part on the bike was damaged in some way either cosmetically or functionally.

Glad you are ok and that everything will heal up and thanks for the reminder! I think these stories are good for others to read in case they think that it can't happen to them or that its' not likely if they aren't going far.

thx!

·
Registered
46 Posts
"Casual shoes" for me are Blundstones, so not too much of a problem...

·
Registered
68 Posts
the foot was bashed a bit but nothing broken. right arm and knees got it the worst ...leather jacket worked well with spine and elbow armor I felt them working when I hit the ground and slid 20 feet... thank you gloves! My Shoei worked like a pillow I felt not one bit of head trauma though the ER guys said if I had no helmet there would have been lots of maxillofacial damage besides de-gloving the right side of my face. A nice early sunday morning quiet roads I suited up with everything (except boots!) to run 5 blocks to the store to get breakfast pastry for a nice morning with my wife and good coffee on the back porch. Just a simple run near home very familiar territory and a car driver that turned immediately in front of me no turn signal. happened really really fast. bike totaled. just about every part on the bike was damaged in some way either cosmetically or functionally.
Horrifying. I hope you get better soon.. I always say to myself and others that it won't be you that makes you crash but more often it'll be someone else. Every time I cross an intersection, I always scan and take it super careful. At this point it's just a second nature thing for me.

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
Just a simple run near home very familiar territory and a car driver that turned immediately in front of me no turn signal.
Yes, they say 20% of accidents happen within 5 miles of your home.

As for me, I took care of that: I moved houses.

:grin2:

·
Super Moderator
3,197 Posts
Just a simple run near home very familiar territory and a car driver that turned immediately in front of me no turn signal.
Yes, they say 20% of accidents happen within 5 miles of your home.

As for me, I took care of that: I moved houses.

Brilliant decision

·
Super Moderator
3,197 Posts
Guys, I was rear ended in October, in rush hour traffic. Thrown past the car that was in front of me superman style.

I broke collar bone bc of how I landed (on my side, arm extended), but that was all. I was wearing full gear, armored over pants, armored jacket, armored gloves, helmet, my Gaerne adv boots. All my gear took damage from impacts and sliding, but I was pretty much unharmed due to the gear. I didn't even know my gear was damaged until afterwards bc it saved me so well.

Side of my right boot got some good grinding but my foot and ankle didn't feel a thing.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Got some ankle high alpine star boots with laces and the velcro ankle strap. I would tie them and the took the on the inside of my leg in the boot. Once found out that they had come out of the top of the boot when pulling away in traffic while trying to change into second only have them snagged on the peg marker.

They now go on the outside of my leg haha.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I always say to myself and others that it won't be you that makes you crash but more often it'll be someone else.
Likely false, sadly. 54% of m/c accident are multiple vehicle, 46% are single vehicle. Since the overwhelming majority of single vehicle accidents are the rider's fault, and a non-trivial % of multi vehicle accidents are also the rider's fault, 'tis likely that the majority of m/c accident are, in fact, YOUR fault, not somebody else's.

I say this NOT to relieve or mitigate other road users of their responsibility, but simply as a warning. Pay just as much attention to your own skills and safe riding as you do to the other nuts, yahoos, jerks, tools and buffoons on the road.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I’ve often been curious about that statistic re: most accidents happening close to home. My feeling is that it might have something to do with a subconscious illusion of safety (“I’m just gonna run out to 7-11 for a second”), where you’re not so focused on the ride but on the idea of chugging that Red Bull or whatever you’re picking up at the store. I can remember a few times I heard about a friend or acquaintance who was hurt or killed “just going up to the deli for lunch”, etc. Most of my riding is commuting, and I make a point of trying to get my thoughts clear and settled before pulling out onto the road, picturing my route in my mind, thinking about what the weather/road conditions might be like on that day, etc. And I avoid those quick, short errands as much as possible-almost to the point of superstition, I sometimes catch myself thinking. Partly, it’s the hassle of getting geared up for a five minute ride, particularly if it’s a humid, 90 degree day. But if nothing else, on the rare occasions I *do* have to do one of those, my “superstitious” fear hopefully raises my awareness to its maximum (where it should-theoretically-always be anyway).

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hope you are all good! Maybe i should invest in some boots.....i usually wear just a helmet and ride naked.........lololol Jk but i dont wear any gear except a helmet, but i have seen some horror stories so maybe i should stop being stupid....

·
Registered
99 Posts
I’ve often been curious about that statistic re: most accidents happening close to home. My feeling is that it might have something to do with a subconscious illusion of safety (“I’m just gonna run out to 7-11 for a second”), where you’re not so focused on the ride but on the idea of chugging that Red Bull or whatever you’re picking up at the store.
Nah, nothing so mysterious. Most riding takes place "close to home". Also, the "close to home" definition used for the stats varies wildly, ranging from 1 mile to 25 miles. 77% of all motor vehicle accidents resulting in injury take place within 10 miles of home. Familiarity takes a back seat to frequency.

I am one of the folks who busts statistics like this. I've had 4 motorcycle accidents. The first was less than 100 yards from home in a straight line, 200 as the wheel rolls. The other 3 were in different states, 200 to 2,500 miles from home.

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
just crashed on my kawasaki a month ago, lost the front in a curve --dirty road, a guy inside that threatened to pull a bike off the curb, I touched my front brake, I should have know better! In the dirt, I lost the front at once and slid for a good 20m.

I too had a few falls and crashes, never anything grizzly --the first one had my arm in a sling for a month, and that was the one far from home. I rode back home as the Minsk was not so damaged, and I was in so much pain I though I saw US tanks manoeuvring in the rice fields (2 hours West of Hanoi) --wait, that was no delusion: there was a film crew making a documentary --in 1994, a few months after the US had lifted the embargo.

All other crashes were less thank a km from home. And I believe this is really representative of where I ride: commuting, running errands, and until more recently only occasionally going the long ways.

·
Registered
391 Posts
just crashed on my kawasaki a month ago, lost the front in a curve --dirty road, a guy inside that threatened to pull a bike off the curb, I touched my front brake, I should have know better! In the dirt, I lost the front at once and slid for a good 20m.

I too had a few falls and crashes, never anything grizzly --the first one had my arm in a sling for a month, and that was the one far from home. I rode back home as the Minsk was not so damaged, and I was in so much pain I though I saw US tanks manoeuvring in the rice fields (2 hours West of Hanoi) --wait, that was no delusion: there was a film crew making a documentary --in 1994, a few months after the US had lifted the embargo.

All other crashes were less thank a km from home. And I believe this is really representative of where I ride: commuting, running errands, and until more recently only occasionally going the long ways.
Hah! I rode a Vespa when I was last in VN. Oh..., and was arrested near the Cambodian border, Long An province. All in all though, I liked the place (VN), but saw no Triumph's there...? Are you one of the few who has one?

Sorry to hijack. To the OP, SO glad you're just bruised and bashed a bit and will ride again. Look into the Sidi ADV boots. Three quick buckles, in and out. Almost faster than any lace tennies and VERY protective (I use them when MX'ing)

·
Registered
147 Posts
Guess we'll see you in the water-cooled section soon then :) I usually dress for the crash, but in town where I never go over 50 kph, I do hop on just like I would on my bicycle (with helmet). Kind of accepting the pain of a moderately slow crash. If not too hot, I always take the leather jacket and light gloves though. I usually ride with Dr. Martens, so sturdy but with no additional protection.

I recently bought Kevlar long johns and a long sleeve shirt, they are great in summer. Ride with your normal clothes over them according to the weather and take off the protective underwear at destination.

21 - 40 of 48 Posts