Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Bonneville SE (2nd one), 2010 Suzuki GZ250, 2006 Royal Enfield POS
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
boots always now... hole in fabric is where shifter went into foot when bike went down

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,425 Posts
How did the shifter go into the right foot shoe??

AGATT!

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
don't know why I said shifter! brain fart... here's a picture of the culprit brake pedal

Attachments

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Dang! So, um, how's the foot?

I gotta admit, I wear my runners sometimes if riding to gym, grocery store, gas up, etc. This makes me think twice.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the foot was bashed a bit but nothing broken. right arm and knees got it the worst ...leather jacket worked well with spine and elbow armor I felt them working when I hit the ground and slid 20 feet... thank you gloves! My Shoei worked like a pillow I felt not one bit of head trauma though the ER guys said if I had no helmet there would have been lots of maxillofacial damage besides de-gloving the right side of my face. A nice early sunday morning quiet roads I suited up with everything (except boots!) to run 5 blocks to the store to get breakfast pastry for a nice morning with my wife and good coffee on the back porch. Just a simple run near home very familiar territory and a car driver that turned immediately in front of me no turn signal. happened really really fast. bike totaled. just about every part on the bike was damaged in some way either cosmetically or functionally.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,425 Posts
Dang! So, um, how's the foot?

I gotta admit, I wear my runners sometimes if riding to gym, grocery store, gas up, etc. This makes me think twice.
Ya, I only wear my gear when I plan on crashing....

:smackglass:

·
Registered
436 Posts
Thank you Shoei

the foot was bashed a bit but nothing broken. right arm and knees got it the worst ...leather jacket worked well with spine and elbow armor I felt them working when I hit the ground and slid 20 feet... thank you gloves! My Shoei worked like a pillow I felt not one bit of head trauma though the ER guys said if I had no helmet there would have been lots of maxillofacial damage besides de-gloving the right side of my face. A nice early sunday morning quiet roads I suited up with everything (except boots!) to run 5 blocks to the store to get breakfast pastry for a nice morning with my wife and good coffee on the back porch. Just a simple run near home very familiar territory and a car driver that turned immediately in front of me no turn signal. happened really really fast. bike totaled. just about every part on the bike was damaged in some way either cosmetical

Glad youre ok, and I hope you sue the guys eyeballs outta his head for causing your accident. Hold nothing back. Take their insurance company for every last nickle. Dont let the insurance guys make a deal, they will screw you out of what you should get for this being done to you. Get a lawyer right away. Make sure you max it out, you got it coming to you. You are due the maximum compensation that the law allows. Get a lawyer! The insurance agent is NOT your friend, man.

Btw, the same day you posted, a gal on a Harley bashed herself somewhere in Cincinnati. Since she was on a Harly, she had no helmet, and that was the main reason for her fatal situation. It just aint cool to wear a helmet if you ride a Harley - lotsa cool HD people in those cemetaries!

Good luck!

Weedie

·
Premium Member
2017 Triumph T120
958 Posts
I'm glad your wife wasn't with you. Take it slow as you mend.

Reactions: gman57

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Yes did get an attorney and now things move very slowly... but that's ok. The attorney said you'd be surprised at how many people just accept the first offer on their own from the first line insurance adjusters. They sign off when they have physical problems with pain/suffering and need PT or surgery and vehicles are way under valued. So my trust is in the legal system. One thing I do want to do when I get a new bike is investigate better medical coverage. My max on my policy was 10K and that got eaten up in the ER in 6 hours. The left over costs for PT and doc appts was taken care of by my secondary health insurance who immediately placed a lien on any settlement to recover their costs (about 3K). Most people who have employer health insurance are subject to a negotiated rate with doctors and hospitals for regular healthcare BUT when you come in with self pay vehicle injury insurance you pay the full rate without a negotiated discount like in private/employer health insurance. Sad to hear a local woman died in a wreck hope she didn't suffer. Nothing is worse than losing a loved one to... dare I say... something that's preventable with reasonable care. The "if only" cases are hardest... but aren't they all. And thx all for the good words...

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Btw, the same day you posted, a gal on a Harley bashed herself somewhere in Cincinnati. Since she was on a Harly, she had no helmet, and that was the main reason for her fatal situation. It just aint cool to wear a helmet if you ride a Harley - lotsa cool HD people in those cemetaries!

Good luck!

Weedie
here's that story! what a deadly combo.... possible drugs/booze, no helmet, motorcycle!

MIAMI TOWNSHIP (Clermont County), Ohio —
A woman died in a Clermont County motorcycle crash Sunday evening.

The crash was reported about 8:15 p.m. on Ohio Route 28 near Romar Drive in Miami Township.

Terrance J. Willis, 61, of Cincinnati and Dona J. Day, 53, of Middletown were ejected from the motorcycle after Willis lost control, the Ohio State Highway Patrol reports.

Both were flown to the University of Cincinnati Hospital, where Day died a few hours later. Willis suffered incapacitating injuries.

Troopers suspect that drugs and/or alcohol were factors in the crash. Neither Day nor Willis were wearing helmets.

·
Premium Member
2,425 Posts
hey hope you get better soon. Really good to know. I often think about taking workout clothes to the nearby gym and riding there, but now I'm not going to do that.
And that, Ladies and Jelly Spoons is the point of this original posting :grin2:

·
Registered
436 Posts
Well Done

Yes did get an attorney and now things move very slowly... but that's ok. The attorney said you'd be surprised at how many people just accept the first offer on their own from the first line insurance adjusters. They sign off when they have physical problems with pain/suffering and need PT or surgery and vehicles are way under valued. So my trust is in the legal system. One thing I do want to do when I get a new bike is investigate better medical coverage. My max on my policy was 10K and that got eaten up in the ER in 6 hours. The left over costs for PT and doc appts was taken care of by my secondary health insurance who immediately placed a lien on any settlement to recover their costs (about 3K). Most people who have employer health insurance are subject to a negotiated rate with doctors and hospitals for regular healthcare BUT when you come in with self pay vehicle injury insurance you pay the full rate without a negotiated discount like in private/employer health insurance. Sad to hear a local woman died in a wreck hope she didn't suffer. Nothing is worse than losing a loved one to... dare I say... something that's preventable with reasonable care. The "if only" cases are hardest... but aren't they all. And thx all for tyhe good words...
M2HB,
You are on top of the situation. You absolutely need to be compensated PER DAY that you have been denied riding time. One of my oldest pals is a trial attorney. Made a believer outta me! This is exactly where you need legal help to step in on your side - insurance becomes inadequent too soon.
Its made me review my own policy, I think its too expensive, but maybe not.

Weedie

·
Premium Member
3,326 Posts
I always wear full gear, ran into town once on a hot day, just grabbed a helmet, the one day I went down, highway speed, bike slid down road, peg or shifter on my upside down sneaker, ground 2 toes to the bone, wound took 8 months to close completely. Many sleepless nights, lesson learned.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I always wear full gear, ran into town once on a hot day, just grabbed a helmet, the one day I went down, highway speed, bike slid down road, peg or shifter on my upside down sneaker, ground 2 toes to the bone, wound took 8 months to close completely. Many sleepless nights, lesson learned.
Ouchy! I can identify with those sleepless nights esp. when pain control wore off! Otherwise bone pain is some of the worst. I had no bone exposure like you did thank God! just breaking and twisting and blunt trauma... wrist arm rib cage and foot painful. Couldn't sleep on my fav side either.:surprise: almost forgot... the nurse in the ER referred to me as "elderly" we all got a good laugh out of that!

·
Premium Member
3,326 Posts
Ouchy! I can identify with those sleepless nights esp. when pain control wore off! Otherwise bone pain is some of the worst. I had no bone exposure like you did thank God! just breaking and twisting and blunt trauma... wrist arm rib cage and foot painful. Couldn't sleep on my fav side either.:surprise: almost forgot... the nurse in the ER referred to me as "elderly" we all got a good laugh out of that!
Worst part was 4 or 5 months in, never was a pill person, but I told my doctor I needed something, I couldn't sleep. She wrote me for 30 hydrocodone, took one the first night, couldn't sleep a wink, took 2 the second night, never slept, I thought a pain pill would make you sleepy, they had the opposite effect, I couldn't take them.

Side story, my wife likes pills, any kind, always taking something, usually over the counter. I figured I'd save the other 27 for emergency, midnight toothache ar such, but my wife, who never gets headaches, had a "headache" 27 days in a row. I told my doctor, don't ever say anything, but please put a note in her file, never prescribe anything like that for her, please, I can tell it would become a problem. I know so many people, straight people, would never even smoke weed, that got hooked through simple prescriptions, some moved on to heroin when they couldn't get pills.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Worst part was 4 or 5 months in, never was a pill person, but I told my doctor I needed something, I couldn't sleep. She wrote me for 30 hydrocodone, took one the first night, couldn't sleep a wink, took 2 the second night, never slept, I thought a pain pill would make you sleepy, they had the opposite effect, I couldn't take them.

Side story, my wife likes pills, any kind, always taking something, usually over the counter. I figured I'd save the other 27 for emergency, midnight toothache ar such, but my wife, who never gets headaches, had a "headache" 27 days in a row. I told my doctor, don't ever say anything, but please put a note in her file, never prescribe anything like that for her, please, I can tell it would become a problem. I know so many people, straight people, would never even smoke weed, that got hooked through simple prescriptions, some moved on to heroin when they couldn't get pills.
That's right hydrocodone doesn't work for everyone.... hydro and oxy worked just fine for me... no side effects and had very good pain relief... moved to 800 of IBP once a day all ok. I'm not an addictive personality type so drug use is not a problem for me. But try and get a doc to just prescribe pain control these days is like pulling teeth. I feel bad for people who have intractable pain, they get lumped in with abusers! The DEA has the medical community cowed and submissive. Considering my wife helped run one of the foremost pain control centers at Univ of Cincinnati Hospital I am very familiar with the addictive process and how pain is treated. BUT you will ALWAYS have abusers, comes with the territory. Good on you informing your doc... may save alot of grief!

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
hey hope you get better soon. Really good to know. I often think about taking workout clothes to the nearby gym and riding there, but now I'm not going to do that.
thx for that! and don't do it not worth the risk anymore...

1 - 20 of 48 Posts