Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all
Returning Tiger owner with an issue with Neutral light not working, and bike not starting.

I've come into 1996 Tiger, and had some lovely rides these last few winter mornings.... but 2 weeks ago, tried to take her out for a spin, but suddenly in neutral, i have no green light.

Any ideas how i could begin to investigate? Am reasonably handy electric wise, and if any of you guys could point me in the right direction on the fault (and maybe the Manual for this beast too??) then 'd be able to get to the bottom of it.

I've tried already, the switch behind the side-stand, but it doesn't seem to want to disconnect in order for me to get the Ohm-meter across it...

Any help with the issue and the actual manual for a 1996 Tiger 885i?

Cheers very much

Pearse

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Have you checked the Killswitch?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just checked the voltage to the sensor (under the side stand) and have c.11v, and checked fuses - all good.
Kill switch - haven't tried that - is that common? Can try that tomorrow once my hands thaw out.. cheers for that...

Whats the push switch under the side-stand? is that summat to conside?

·
Registered
3,435 Posts
It's to keep you from riding off with the stand down.

It sounds like your bike thinks you're trying to start it in gear due to a faulty neutral indicator switch (or connection).
Mine is an 06 955 but it was just a spade connector.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Just checked the voltage to the sensor (under the side stand) and have c.11v, and checked fuses - all good.
Kill switch - haven't tried that - is that common? Can try that tomorrow once my hands thaw out.. cheers for that...

Whats the push switch under the side-stand? is that summat to conside?
The kill switch will obviously prevent the engine from starting but it also turns off the neutral light.
if that's ok and you still have no neutral light try starting it with the side stand up.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Another possibility besides the kill switch being off, is a bad kill switch (corrosion).
Looks like you live near the sea, so that's a possibility.
Fortunately, they're easy to disassemble to clean the contacts.
Just be very careful that the little BB's in there don't fall out when you start unscrewing the bits.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Has the neutral light worked at all? If the neutral light doesnt work, then check the wires on the transmission switch or the switch itself. Also check the clutch switch on the lever, and the side stand switch. Make sure those switches open and close with a multimeter.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Plenty to chew on there, thanks all - i'll start with the kill switch and work my way from there....

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi all i have a boni se 2012 had the load tors fitted sometime ago with the dear done remap but no seem to run right so i took for mot yesterday the guy said i hurd comeing down the road no run right so i was told by the new dealer they have another re map to fix this north american emission remap they done it never run so good

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Periods, commas and capital letters go a long way to making your post understandable.
(...... and you're in the Tiger 955 forum)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So, 2 months and a new extension later....

I've removed the kill switch and looks to be ok when switching (voltage on, voltage off)
Checked the Neutral Bulb - all good.

Tried starting with side stand up - no go - turns over ok but thats it...

Tell me (stoopid question time), is the side stand switch the one that the stand compresses or is it the one thats attached to the body right in behind the side stand? (on a circular spade terminal thing)

One thing i tried with that terminal thing, was put it to ground, and the Neutral light came on (via a relay under the seat) - i was sure she was going to start but the battery is a bit fubar coz its been sitting for ages..

Could you let me know the Haynes Manual number and i'll purchase that, i'm ok with technical docs (i hope) so maybe i'll need to root cause the wiring diagram from there.....

Cheers

·
Registered
77 Posts
The side stand switch is the one that the side stand compresses. Only know this as the one on my 06 Tiger stuck last week.

FWIW, the Neutral light still came on and the bike would start, it just stopped as soon as I put it in gear, so I'm not certain the side stand switch is your issue. Have you looked at the clutch switch?

Have you tried a Google search for "Triumph Tiger 955i PDF"? you might find a copy of a manual online as I did for my Trophy.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The side stand switch is the one that the side stand compresses. Only know this as the one on my 06 Tiger stuck last week.

FWIW, the Neutral light still came on and the bike would start, it just stopped as soon as I put it in gear, so I'm not certain the side stand switch is your issue. Have you looked at the clutch switch?

Have you tried a Google search for "Triumph Tiger 955i PDF"? you might find a copy of a manual online as I did for my Trophy.
Clutch switch is next in that case...I was messing about with a multi-meter last night.. would love to get the bike up and about, panging for some peace and quiet...I'll have a wee dive into the web for that manual.. oddly, only found out (don't know why) that the model i have is Tiger 900 (T400)...

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Obvious, i like that too...swapped out a working indicator bulb and it works fine...

Oddly, when i earth the Spade Connector for the thing (just under the sidestand) the Neutral light comes on... that thing (sorry about the terminology here) connects to a relay under the seat, and when i Earth the thing& the relay clicks and the Neutral light comes on....now i need to find out what the thing is actually called.....

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
I'm guessing the top one is the neutral switch as it puts the neutral light on when you ground the wire.
The bottom one is the side stand switch.
The neutral switch is probably faulty if you get no light when your bikes in neutral but it lights up when you ground The wire.
Should still be able to start the bike though with the clutch in and the side stand up.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Right so, replaced the Neutral Switch and boy was i in for a shock (that'll teach me for misplacing the Haynes Manual) - when i removed the Neutral Switch, guess what? Yep, coolant/lube all over the shop... you'd have thought i would have considered that... but no... && sake....

Anyway, mess cleared up, and new switch in place (from a bag of goodies i had sold with the bike), i just turned on the ignition - NO NEUTRAL Light still... so, maybe i'm thinking that i needed to refill the coolant/lubricant that i managed to spill... i'll need to do thar anyway but right now, i'm out of ideas until i get the wiring diagram and trace back from the light....

2 further questions:
  • Does anyone have a pdf of the wiring they could ping me?
  • Where the hell do i refill the coolant/lube that spilled (what was it does anyone know?)
One last (wafer thin) thing...the bike turns over ok i.e. tries to start, but won't even with the sidestand up and various options of the bike in gear/not in gear/side stand up (& down), Centre stand up (& down)... am i even looking in the right area of the neutral switch/grounding....

Cheers

1 - 18 of 18 Posts