Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of our neighbors just bought himself a brand new Harley (Dyna) a few weeks ago (one week into his tenure) he took out the bike and got nevous in the middle of a sweeping left-hander, went wide and got tossed into the ditch. HE's got some new stitches and the Bike is up for sale... Low miles!

You can imagine how the wives are after this event. I'm telling my wife he should have used a late apex line thru the turn and she looks at me like I'm just a suicidal idiot.

[ This message was edited by: RJScotti on 2006-11-20 09:43 ]

·
Premium Member
728 Posts
Ten to one he never did an MSF course - it's evolution in action.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No MSF course I'm told. Mid 40's.. never been on a bike before this purchase. I've heard this new trend is happeneing with scary regularity. Its skews all the statistics too. My wife is 100% sure there is no safe way to ride a bike.

·
Registered
112 Posts
A born again 'biker' on a Hardly Ableson.

Not a healthy combination. Glad he's alright but at least there's one less two-wheeled tractor OTR. :mad:

[ This message was edited by: senyorsimon on 2006-11-20 10:49 ]

·
Premium Member
2,626 Posts
No MSF course I'm told. Mid 40's.. never been on a bike before this purchase. I've heard this new trend is happeneing with scary regularity. Its skews all the statistics too. My wife is 100% sure there is no safe way to ride a bike.
As inadequate as the MSF course is in many areas, at least we taught folks to 'look where you want to go.'

My guess is that he was looking at the ditch. :(

You're right about 40+ riders skewing the stats.

I've seen lots of idiots scrape through the course and get a license when I knew they would be unsafe on the street. Unfortunately the law said that if they passed the course they got a license -- one of the reasons I quit teaching.

Jim

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Maybe he drew a line in his mind that apexed early. When he saw cars coming as he approached the double yellow he widened his turn and ran out of road. Likely he stared at the ditrch as it got closer too.

·
Premium Member
1,104 Posts
Well, beginners of any age make mistakes (and not only beginners). The difference with the 40+s is that they too often go out and straightaway buy something expensive and heavy, or something expensive and very fast, so their mistakes come expensive, too.

As a 40+ first timer myself (several years ago), I was very conscious that a bike isn't a car on two wheels. I also realised during the test stage that while the examiner might have been satisfied that I was confident on a 'big' bike, I wasn't. I was still too conscious of being on two wheels, if you know what I mean. So for a year after passing my test, I rode a 125cc to get more comfortable with the way a bike handled and only then, when felt I was ready for it, looked for something bigger. Not that riding the 125 prepared me for the stationary weight of the T'Bird!

So far, touch wood... :)

·
Registered
183 Posts
Well, lucky for me, my wife's' answer to my "suicidal tenancies" was to take the MSF course with her sister an get her own licence. Then I got an "invite" to the advanced skills course. Really good course. Part fast on the race track and part REALLY slow around cones and such. Three days of actual learning. I gotta tell ya that slow stuff is a killer though.
I guess the down side is I have to share my baby with my better half (until we add to the stable)
John

·
Registered
844 Posts
Too much money, not enough brain power (and that's just me). Seriously, enduros are perfect. Learn to ride something that handles pretty decent, has good enough acceleration, and wont cost much to fix. Plus, you don't get to thinking that 'profiling' is so cool to not pay attention. And you can pick it up when you drop it. Put 5000 on it and see if you really have an interest -- and not everyone has the interest to take the risk.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts