Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I have a 77 TR7V.

The indicators have stopped working, and on further investigation the wiring harness is a mess, most of the wires are red and scotch locks/crimps everywhere.

It would seem like a new harness is in order, and this would also seem like a good point to go negative earth.

At some point (probably not now) I'll go for an uprated alternator & electronic regulator, electronic ignition and LED bulbs.

What sort (date) of wiring harness should I get and what mods would be good at this time?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I want to run LED bulbs. It may be easier to convert to to -ve earth than have to adapt indicators, tail light & head light individually.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Sure, that would be a good conversion to do. However, i am not versed in converting a bike to negative earth, but I would imagine you would have to swap some major electrical components so that they wont get fried when you swap. Have you done a search of the forum to see if any threads have covered this in detail? I am also going to run a search because i am intrigued at how this process would go. Good luck!

Joe

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I also want to run electronic ignition & a high output alternator (not that those won't run -ve earth) I want to get to the point where as much of the irritating crap is as maintenance free whilst still being a triumph.

LED indicators & stop light are fabulous from a visibility point of view

·
Registered
240 Posts
My 1967 Bonneville is positive earth with functionnal modern electrical parts:

- BanboMoto-H4D HID 35W
- Tail lamp T120R 1969 with LED conversion for L679 & L917, 12V
- Pazon TwinPlug/cylinder PD2TTP
- Digital Tachometer Koso BA4800R0
- Digital Speedometer Koso BB550B40
- Digital Oil Presure Gauge Glow Shift GS-BD04
- Lucas Powerbase High-Output 3-Phase Alternator kit 180 watts
- Light/Flasher switch Honda CT70
- Four flasher complete from Honda XL600R

·
Registered
507 Posts
If you want to convert to -ve earth, you will not be able to use an off-the-shelf harness, as they will all be +ve earth.

Mark

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
'79 and newer

Hi I have a 77 TR7V.

The indicators have stopped working, and on further investigation the wiring harness is a mess, most of the wires are red and scotch locks/crimps everywhere.

It would seem like a new harness is in order, and this would also seem like a good point to go negative earth.

At some point (probably not now) I'll go for an uprated alternator & electronic regulator, electronic ignition and LED bulbs.

What sort (date) of wiring harness should I get and what mods would be good at this time?
Triumph changed to negative ground in 1979. Bob

1 - 10 of 10 Posts