Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a US version of the '79 T140D however I really like the look of the UK style 'home market" gas tank. I purchased a beautiful condition (refinished) black tank but would like to have the Special stripes to match my side panels. Seems like no one in my area of eastern Canada does decent hand striping anymore so I'm wondering if anyone makes a stripe kit for this application? Any assistance would be appreciated.

Thanks.

·
Registered
5,847 Posts
First if you are going to use this tank you will also need to get a UK seat.
There are no premade stripe kit's for the UK T140D tank I am aware of as the tanks were all hand lined. The T140D airbox covers WERE tape striped. I would think any good sign painter could stripe the tank using paint. If you obtain a copy of the book ORIGINAL TRIUMPH BONNEVILLE by Gerald Kane the are pictures of a UK T140D (on pages 99,100,and 101). Also as there were 3 versions of the breadbox between 71 and 81. If you are goin to use this tank with the T140D plastic airbox covers be sure the tank has the petcock's approx 6 inches forward of the rear of the tank this would the third version and was (Possibly) first used (I just recently found out) on the 77 UK TR7. Also you will need a 83-4118 tie strap for the front of the tank. This can be easily made from strap stock.

·
Registered
5,847 Posts
As an addition on page 125 of TRIUMPH T120/T140 BONNEVILLE (Steve Wilson) there is an excellent picture of a stock UK T140D. By the angle of the shot you can see how the UK seat is shaped at the front. (More blunt and shorter)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks

Great info, thanks. I had not thought of the seat difference for some reason. I guess this idea will have to mature a bit more.

I really need to buy that book.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts