Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I rarely take my 2000 Sprint ST on the highway - I'm more into fun aggressive street riding. Love wheelies. Wondering what would be a good sprocket switch to make the front end easier to lift. I've heard a couple different things about whether or not it's better to change the front or rear sprocket (or both). I'd like to keep my stock length chain since it's new but I'm not locked into that. I'm all about acceleration. Don't mind losing top end. Thanks for the help...

·
Registered
41 Posts
I rarely take my 2000 Sprint ST on the highway - I'm more into fun aggressive street riding. Love wheelies. Wondering what would be a good sprocket switch to make the front end easier to lift. I've heard a couple different things about whether or not it's better to change the front or rear sprocket (or both). I'd like to keep my stock length chain since it's new but I'm not locked into that. I'm all about acceleration. Don't mind losing top end. Thanks for the help...
Put enough weight in your cases and the front end comes up real easy ;)

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
buy a gsxr.

seriously, in MI a wheel off the ground is instant reckless driving which I think is loss of license, or quite close. So I'd assume Cali is a lot worse. Keep the wheel on the ground

·
Premium Member
4,389 Posts
You might think about getting something more suitable for being a stunta if that's what spins your crank. Be prepared for a lot of frame issues.

I can go anywhere quicker and faster on two than you can on one.

·
Premium Member
8,211 Posts
Buy a GSXR and let us Triumph owners be free of the bad reputation that wheeling hooligans put on us responsible riders.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
DavidEW: Don't you know that wheelies are childish and immature? Hopefully I will never grow up :) Not sure if gearing alone will be enough as the Sprint is a bit of a slug in this regard. Another 25-50 horsepower would do it. My Duc will flip over backwards under full throttle in 1st and 2nd, and floats the front wheel all through 3rd. Like that saying says: Horsepower is good. More is better. Too much is just right!

·
Registered
343 Posts
Your Sprint should power up the front with an 18 tooth front sprocket which won't require you to shorten the chain. I've never tried it with a 19 (stock). If pure stunting is what you're after then it's probably a good idea to get a giant rear sprocket (as big as they make) and then a longer chain to suit.

·
Premium Member
8,211 Posts
LOL. I dare you to go post that in the Speed Triple forum!
HA! Yeah :D I thought of that after I posted it. Oh well we all know that the S3 riders are our dark side alter egos and we who are Sprint owners pretend to be good boys/girls and play nice. :)

·
Premium Member
4,389 Posts
Well, if this is what you really want to do, think 17/45. This is about as short as you can get but be prepared for chain interference issues.

There was this thing on TV one night not too long ago. Americas Funniest Wrecks or something like that. Some deaf guy got off on long high speed wheelies. A whole big story on him. On the one that they showed when he but the front down he got into a serious wobble and smacked into a parked car putting him in the hospital and down for quite some time.
The chase car dude gave all sorts of excuses as to why it happened but on the vid. it clearly showed that he had the front at an angle and when the tire hit it jerked the bars out of his hands. The tire actually smoked, a lot. He actually had enough room to get out of the wobble but just sat there. So much for being an expert stunta.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I know some folks have gone to the 17 front sprocket and I think...left the rear stock, and re-chained, which resulted in more loftiness. I do see LOTS of Speed Triples in stunt vids etc so if like most of us here you love the Triumph engines and product, you might want to consider picking one up and releasing your inner hooligan to its full potential.

I never did get the long wheelie thing down (even with decades of dirt riding) 30-50 feet seems to be about my max before I get funky in the dirt...and I haven't even tried lifting my Sprints front end...but yes part of me yearns for the chops to do so. Be as safe as you can and enjoy the ride is my vote.

·
Premium Member
24,342 Posts
Welcome

Hi and welcome to our Sprint forum DavidEW:)

We are in the habit here of asking all our noobs to please read the forum stickies and especially the one for new members.

Most of us here wanting more low speed grunt and better drive out of corners go for the 18 toother up front and stock sprocket on the rear.

The boys are right in saying that the Speed Triple (1050) or the Street Triple (675) are much better bikes for wheelying than the heavier Sprint.

cheers,
DaveM:cool:

·
Registered
450 Posts
Not in Ontario

If you ever decide to come to Ontario for a visit, wheelies are not recommended. The new "street racing" law gives the LEOs the power to confiscate your keys and bike on the spot. Your license is suspended for 7 days. The judge decides if your should get the max $10,000 fine. And for fast bikes and cars stopped with serious go-fast goodies like nitro, the owner is forced to watch while it is changed into a metal cube at the scrap metal yard :eek: 50 km over the posted limit is also part of this law.

One fellow on a bike sped away and lost the cruisers :policecar: Only to be met by another when he stopped for coffee. The cop overhead in the airplane followed him.

·
Registered
145 Posts
New laws here in Florida also put in effect to force riders to keep the stunts off the streets as well as put street racers in their place.

Motorcycle or moped, wheels losing contact with ground this is classified as a moving violation.

Motorcycle or moped license tag improperly affixed this is classified as a moving violation.

A person who exceeds the speed limit in excess of 50 mph or more.

First Offense: the violator must pay a fine of $1,000 plus court costs.
Second Offense: the violator must pay a fine of $2,500 plus court costs and the driver license must be revoked for a period of one year.
Third Offense: the violator will be charged with a third degree felony, mandatory fine of $5,000, and the driver license must be revoked for a period of ten years.

·
Premium Member
8,211 Posts
So ummmm........ anyone notice he posted once and has not posted in this thread or anywhere else in the forum?

You think he was baiting a bit? or did we scare him off?

·
Registered
8,109 Posts
Must have been your antagonistic tone Calli :)

·
Registered
8,109 Posts
and flippant, don't forget flippant :)

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
bigbert, ThirdRipple:

Wait a minute, you're talking about a third world shoot-em-if-they-don't-comply commy dictatorship country, right? Install nitrous and they turn your vehicle into a compressed steel cube? Holy moly, those Florida laws are an embarrassment to the free world.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts