Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
stupid chick *slammed* on the brakes in front of me this morning in traffic and, with cars on either side i had really no choice but to put the bike on its side (i was slow on the rear brake). boo!

anyway, low speed. bike and rider rode away without incident. one barend mirror bit the dust (it was a cheapie so that doesn't bug me), but i bent the crap out of my billet shifter (amazed it didn't break--yay aluminum) and i noticed a couple of oil spots on the ground after having parked the bike for a few minutes.

any thoughts on either the shifter or the drip?

·
30,693 Posts
You MAY have bent the shifter shaft that runs through the motor - or it might just be being pulled out of position a bit, distorting the oil seal in the engine case. But looking at the location of the drip...could just be drippage from overflow / breather hoses and the like. In fact I now suspect that first.

I am glade you are OK, that's the main thing. Any chance of recompense from the dumbitch?

·
Registered
921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
You MAY have bent the shifter shaft that runs through the motor - or it might just be being pulled out of position a bit, distorting the oil seal in the engine case. But looking at the location of the drip...could just be drippage from overflow / breather hoses and the like. In fact I now suspect that first.

I am glade you are OK, that's the main thing. Any chance of recompense from the dumbitch?
thanks. my buddy said the same thing--makes a lot of sense. not seeing additional oil on the ground when i'm home from work will point to that as well.

edit: oh, and the only recompense was her pulling up beside me about a 1/4 mile later and mouthing "i'm so sorry". just shook my head. i probably could have shamed her into some financial recompense but considering the whole thing happened in the middle of the big dig tunnel it was not a situation to do anything other than get up and go for fear of causing miles of traffic behind me.

·
30,693 Posts
Oh - on the shifter - if you anneal the aluminum (cos it looks like it must be decent aluminum) you could then bend it back. It will be difficult to get it fully straight to your satisfaction, but you might get it good enough.

Take it off the bike, heat it up with a blow torch. You can let it cool in air before you have at it with mallet and vise.

It doesn't need to be red hot - 200°F will produce a structural change.

Basically, pop it in an oven (better than the blowtorch) at oh, 300 to 350°F for a while - 20 mins say. Let it cool, then try bending it back. That way you have a chance of not breaking it. Strength will be reduced afterwards, but shouldn't be an issue on this part.

No gaurantee of not breaking though I'm afraid.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Glad to hear you're OK. That same thing happened to me on the freeway not too long ago. Only difference was the broad thought it would be a good idea to hit the brakes in the middle of the double yellow lines (otherwise known as the carpool lane) where I was happily trucking along through. Needless to say I found myself bouncing between cars with my knees as my only cushion. Pin ball anyone???

Funny thing is, I ended up feeling bad for my bruised bonnie, not my knees...

·
Premium Member
11,832 Posts
probably.

heating it up will help soften it. I have a huge vice bolted to a huger metal table. The vice is about 3' long and weighs over 100lbs, the table probably weighs 400 lbs. I can chuck stuff up in there and beat on it pretty good. I'd use a big vice and a heavy dead blow hammer on your shifter.

that, or take it to a machine shop with a hydraulic press, or run it over with your car...:D

·
30,693 Posts
You might be alright. The aluminum work hardens though when it's bent......it might (might mind you) crack when you bend it back if you don't anneal it. If it were me I'd pop it in the oven, but in a way you've got nothing to lose by trying.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts