Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hammer's Rat Rod project

Hi .
I have had this frame for 40 yrs . I now would like to start my winter Build . I need help finding out what year frame this is ( location of Vin #) and what type of engine Trans I can put in it .. Plus I would like to change out the forks , to a springer front end .. and help would be great

Attachments

·
7,218 Posts
Hi,

Welcome to the Forum. :)

need help finding out what year frame this is
Hmmm ... educated guess says it's a '66 C-range front loop with an aftermarket bolt-on hardtail? "front loop" is all the tubes including the vertical middle one and forward. The area between the two top tubes is normally mostly open, so someone's filled that in.

location of Vin #
Left-hand side (looking forwards) of the steering head, letters and numbers read from the top downwards.

type of engine Trans
Unit-construction (crankcase and gearbox in one pair of castings) 350 or 500 twin-cylinder made between model years '57 and '74.

would like to change out the forks , to a springer front end
Mmmm ... not saying it's impossible but it's the last year of something made 53 years ago; '67-on, changes were made to the frame to use more unit 650 parts.

Have a skim through https://www.triumph-tiger-90.com/index.shtml.

Hth.

Regards,

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for your help .. Now I have a bit of Info .. some where to start ,,

I have Built many of Old school Rat rods over the years .. Time to try my hands on this

·
Super Moderator
12,760 Posts
Looks like fun! Certainly nothing here for the purists, but even the staunchest purist on this forum is polite and respectful of others.

As you have the additional upper frame member added, a springer front end will not overwhelm the frame (but keep it light).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for your help .. Guess i will start looking for that type of engine, and yes My plan was to keep it bare bones/ lite

1 - 9 of 9 Posts