Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 01’ Tiger that Ive recently acquired with over 37k on it. She (GG) seems to have a hesitation running at low RPMs in traffic and idles inconsistently. On top of that, she backfires quite a bit when downshifting. There is an after market off road pipe on her that gives her a good bit more free flow, it has been remapped. Im thinking plugs, air filter, valves. The valves have never been done. Any other Ideas? :idea::idea:

Since I think it’s the valves, this will my first time adjusting them. The problem is I dont have a garage nor enough experience with the Tiger to attempt this, although Im a fast learner. :D

So Im putting it out there; is there anyone in the Bay Area (Oakland, CA or near by) that has had success with adjusting their valves and has a garage that would be willing to help me though this process? I’d like to throw some incentives out there for ya like some $ and beer or whatever, not to mention that I would be forever grateful. If you’re out there let me know. BTW I'm a really good deep tissue therapist. Willing to trade for help. Hope everyone is well!! Thanks, Dugen :elated:

·
Registered
435 Posts
a lot of things should have been done at the 36,000 mile maintenance, including valves!

air filter, plugs are good. That bike also has a fuel filter in the tank. Another thing to check is the throttle synchronization. When the fuel tank is off to replace the filter, you could also clean out the tank too!

Sounds like the remapping may not be right if it's running a bit lean and popping on deceleration.

start with the stuff you can check - it's a good place to begin!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If anybody knows a good mechanic that will work on the side please let me know. I'd rather work with the person and to learn more about her but I'm desperate to ride. I need to ride! :BigEyes: I also need to do the fork seals. Any ideas, give them to me, I'm open to suggestions.

·
Registered
178 Posts
37k and the valves have never been done?? Has any of the routine maintenance been done? Fork oil changed? Head bearings checked? fuel filter? etc... You may be better off taking it to a shop to have everything brought up to date and then learning to do it youself. Being in Oakland you have a few choices. Hattar in Marin, Munroe in SF, Calmoto in Livermore or Mt. View, Ace in Concord.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts