Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dog ran off with the only key I had for my 2000 Legend. The local dealer told me I would either have to have a locksmith make a new key, or buy a whole new ignition switch. It seems like I should be able to get a replacement bases on VIN. Does anyone here have any experience with this?

·
Premium Member
4,001 Posts
I had no key code and only one key, and if you cut a copy it wouldn't work. I was able to order a repacement by VIN through the dealer. They got the key code from Triumph USA, which they then gave me for future reference.

·
Registered
45 Posts
My dog ran off with the only key I had for my 2000 Legend. The local dealer told me I would either have to have a locksmith make a new key, or buy a whole new ignition switch. It seems like I should be able to get a replacement bases on VIN. Does anyone here have any experience with this?
Does your bike by any chance have the keyed seat unlock/release in the left side panel or do you have the double screw seat mount/release?

I attempted to buy a replacement key from my local Triumph dealer several years ago and, after quite a delay, was informed that Triumph USA (based in Atlanta?) stated that the VIN key records for my '99 Legend TT weren't available.

Rob

·
Registered
231 Posts
If you dont have the pin lock seat I would just buy an ignition set with a key off ebay. There are a few on there with keys that would solve the problem and probably be cheaper.

·
Registered
85 Posts
If you dont have the pin lock seat I would just buy an ignition set with a key off ebay. There are a few on there with keys that would solve the problem and probably be cheaper.
If you want to go the locksmith route the key blank is: X270 TMC1. Not a standard stock item for most locksmiths but they can be ordered. Other option is to purchase blanks from ebay and have them cut locally.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts