Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After getting enough miles on my "16" Thrux R I am ready to cut the highway rpms down a bit. Here are two questions: those of you who have put a 17 tooth sprocket on it, where did you buy it and can you buy just the sprocket? Thanks in advance. I know this has been discussed previously but I could not find where anyone mentioned where, in the US, they bought said item.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
After getting enough miles on my "16" Thrux R I am ready to cut the highway rpms down a bit. Here are two questions: those of you who have put a 17 tooth sprocket on it, where did you buy it and can you buy just the sprocket? Thanks in advance. I know this has been discussed previously but I could not find where anyone mentioned where, in the US, they bought said item.
You can get from Triumph, same as T120 and Bobber. That is where I got mine.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, my local dealer tells me that he can only order entire kit: front and rear sprockets and chain. Looks like I'll have to make another trip and be a bit more "insistent"

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Well, my local dealer tells me that he can only order entire kit: front and rear sprockets and chain. Looks like I'll have to make another trip and be a bit more "insistent"
He can order an entire kit but he can also order the sprocket separately, later I also ordered a 37T rear sprocket - old dealer. My new dealer told me the same kit thing a few weeks ago when I wanted the front sprocket locking tab and then he clicked on some other screen and got me what I wanted.

If they don't want to help you go to Sprocket Center I just got a 18T front sprocket from them for $25 there number is 888-265-2141.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
He can order an entire kit but he can also order the sprocket separately, later I also ordered a 37T rear sprocket - old dealer. My new dealer told me the same kit thing a few weeks ago when I wanted the front sprocket locking tab and then he clicked on some other screen and got me what I wanted.

If they don't want to help you go to Sprocket Center I just got a 18T front sprocket from them for $25 there number is 888-265-2141.
Now you've got me thinking, what would the bike be like with the stock rear but the 18T front? Would there be a fitment problem using the stock chain? and I wonder what the drop in rpms would be at 70mph as I recall the stock gearing is running around 4000 at 70. Did you do this combo or will you be doing it and if you have what have you found out? Too long winded questions I know but inquiring minds and all that

·
Registered
1,120 Posts

Now you've got me thinking, what would the bike be like with the stock rear but the 18T front? Would there be a fitment problem using the stock chain? and I wonder what the drop in rpms would be at 70mph as I recall the stock gearing is running around 4000 at 70. Did you do this combo or will you be doing it and if you have what have you found out? Too long winded questions I know but inquiring minds and all that
There is a site called Gearing Commander and all you got to is put your bike in and then play away with sprocket sizes and you can see the rpm. Its pretty accurate right up to top speed. I believe the difference is about 500 rpm lower with 18/42 vs stock 16/42 at 70 mph.

I have nine different gearing combinations I run so I have two chains. Depending on where you chain adjustment is your stock chain should be fine for an 18/42 combination. Since you are going bigger on the front it should take some slack out of the chain so you may need to move your chain adjusters up.

Right now my bike is geared with an 18/40 combination which is a lower numerically 2.222 but geared higher than stock 2.625. The weather has prevented me from riding the bike more than a couple of miles since I have changed to this gearing. I have run the bike with lower numerically gearing 2.1764 before at the drag strip and at 136 mph with no problems.

There is enough clearance for the 18T in front. You will need some serious air pressure to get the nut off the front sprocket. The back sprockets can be easier to change.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts