Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2012 America as near as I can tell it's got the original tires.
There's a bit of checking between the treads, I would feel more secure with new tires.

What do people usually do?
Order from a place like Bikebandit and then get them installed somewhere?

What's a good place to have them replaced?
I'm in the Seattle area, east side so Bellevue, Issaquah would be most convenient.

While we are at it, what's a great street / road tire set for the 2012 America?

I've never replaced tires on any of my bikes, always sold them off before needing to replace them so this is brand new territory for me.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I drive by I-90 Motorsports in Issaquah all them time, anyone have anything to say about them?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just put a new set of Michelin Road Commander II's on a '07 America and they were absolutely silky smooth and nice n sticky. Not a "value" tread but I can't imagine I'd ever go back after experiencing the upgrade. My .02c
Good luck in your choice. Mike

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
I've had tires replaced. Local dealer tire prices are higher than buying on line. Bigger choice buying on line. Going local helps your dealer.
My local dealer says they will discount the cost of mount & balance of tires they sell(but somehow forget that when ringing up the charges) compared to bringing in tires purchased elsewhere for mounting. Whether on the motorcycle or if you carry the wheels in.
Buying on line and having an independent motorcycle shop mount & balance the tires works as well.
I will likely do the internet purchase and independent shop again.
I'm still happy with my Michelin Commander II tires. Several tire threads if you search for them.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys, I have seen those tires and they look good to me.
Now to see about getting a pair installed.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Michelin Commanders for me too. Great tires and no problems even in heavy rain. Avon Cobra Chrome will be my next tires, just needs to raise the front fender a bit. Chromes have had better reviews than their predecessors Avon Cobras AV71/72 in the Rocket forum.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
I'll be different and say Avons. I needed new tires a few years ago, and the local place that does tires recommended them. I liked them so much, I put them on my other bike.
I bought a Thunderbird Sport last month, and the seller had just put new Avons on before selling. The bike handles great with them.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I-90 Motorsports wants about $500 to put a pair of the Michelins on my bike.
Think I can do better?

·
Registered
52 Posts
I-90 Motorsports wants about $500 to put a pair of the Michelins on my bike.
Think I can do better?
If you have the ability, if you take the wheels off and take them into the dealer, they probably won't charge you a mount/dismount fee for them having to take the wheels on and off the motorcycle. Saves them time and you some money. At least that's how Empire Cycle works in Spokane.

We bought a pair of Commander II's for my wifes 2010 speedmaster back in February and they were around the $350ish mark if I remember correctly. See if the dealer will price match tires from revzilla or bikebandit. That's what we did, because naturally you pay more at the dealer.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I ordered from BikeBandit. About $280 shipped for the Commander II's.
There's a local guy here a mile from my home who does this work, he doesn't stock any tires but he provides the service and he will do a maintenance check at the same time, lube the chain and properly tighten it and that sort of stuff.
He was recommended by a friend who says this guys is the only one he lets touch his bike.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I ended up using a local guy, old biker who set up a small shop less than a mile from my home.
A friend recommended him.
He got it done, lubed and adjusted the chain while he was there.
The new tires are great, I understand it takes a bit of riding to get them broke in and I'm happy to do that!
As long as the weather is good I'll ride it to work and maybe this weekend I'll ride it out to Shelton to visit the grandkids.
I like the MCII's - good looking tires that seem to work really well.
Mainly I feel just a little safer knowing the tires are new.
Oh yeah, the place that did the work is Fred's Sleds in North Bend, WA.
Fred is an interesting old dude.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I put a couple hundred miles on the new tires over the weekend.
They feel good, smooth but sticky.
I feel better having tires that I don't think are 8 years old.

·
Registered
26 Posts
FYI I've driven 12,500 miles on my Michelin Commander IIs and they will go up to 13k before winter storage. Only now I can feel a difference in grip going around twisties. I had no problems when they were driven 10-12k on a road trip in rainy Northern Norway. Photo attachments from the tires are at 11k miles.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
FYI I've driven 12,500 miles on my Michelin Commander IIs ... Only now I can feel a difference in grip...
:nod

Have ~11,500 miles currently on mine. Still look safe, the wear is visible but fairly evenly spread out. Last time I was out in the rain there was a bit of a slip and a bit more caution used by me. Still happy with them but their lifetime is limited like any tire.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I drove it once to work this week, partway on the freeway going 80mph I could smell the rain coming.
Sure enough, there was a downpour.
First time with these tires in the rain, I gradually slowed to 70mph out of caution but the tires felt great on the newly wet pavement.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I drive by I-90 Motorsports in Issaquah all them time, anyone have anything to say about them?
got my 09 America from them, with 1100 miles paid 4000 out the door tuned and fluids replaced great no pressure sales love this place best vehicle purchase ever

1 - 16 of 16 Posts