Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so my throttle cable broke today... i need a new one sometime this week, so i don't have the time to wait and get one shipped here.

what works in a pinch, and will last the 500 mile trip back to new orleans? and preferably cheaper... will any of the throttle cables for other metrics work? or is there anything i can pick up from the hardware store to use?

i figure a cable is a cable, so there's gotta be something that will do the trick, and probably for cheaper...

·
Registered
444 Posts
The problem is you have a pretty specific bend needed for the undertank/throttle body area, and you also need pretty specific plastic bits to attach to the switch housing.

Long story short, another cable won't work. If the actual cable is what broke, and not the plastic bits, with a whole lot of effort you might be able to combine the parts of two cables to make something that will get you home.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah, it's the steel cable that's broke... and considering i can't get back to college and new orleans until this is fixed, a whole lot of effort is no problem ;)

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
I don't remember specifics, but there are throttle cable kits for dirtbikes that are sort of build-your-own. Look for a place that specializes in off-road, or at least has an off-road catalog, & see if you can't find universal spares in there.

Cheers, HTH,
-Kit

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
mt. vernon tx. nearest town of 40,000 is about an hour away. but there's like 6 towns of 40,000. all about an hour away... i'll be hitting up a few different places around town today that might could help me out. we'll see how it goes...

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i'm about to have something ghetto rigged up. bought a length of 1/16" cable (just a hair wider than stock, i assume triumph used metric) from a hardware store, and a couple of cable stops from an auto parts store. why neither place had both, i don't know. i'm having to modify the cable stops so they fit and cut down the wire so it's the proper length, but it'll get me back to new orleans. it'll probably be another two hours of playing with hacksaws, files, and drills to do a good job of it.

i called the four nearest triumph dealers, the closest just over an hour away, the farthest just over two hours away, and none had the throttle cable in stock. i think i would have to leave texas otherwise. i spent probably three hours just searching for the best cable and cable stops to use.

panthers den, i'm pming you. if you could send the cable to new orleans, so i'll have the right part to replace my ghetto rigging (hopefully before it wears out), it would be great.

·
Registered
444 Posts
i'm about to have something ghetto rigged up. bought a length of 1/16" cable (just a hair wider than stock, i assume triumph used metric) from a hardware store, and a couple of cable stops from an auto parts store. why neither place had both, i don't know. i'm having to modify the cable stops so they fit and cut down the wire so it's the proper length, but it'll get me back to new orleans. it'll probably be another two hours of playing with hacksaws, files, and drills to do a good job of it.

i called the four nearest triumph dealers, the closest just over an hour away, the farthest just over two hours away, and none had the throttle cable in stock. i think i would have to leave texas otherwise. i spent probably three hours just searching for the best cable and cable stops to use.

panthers den, i'm pming you. if you could send the cable to new orleans, so i'll have the right part to replace my ghetto rigging (hopefully before it wears out), it would be great.
That 2002 cable really won't do you any good. It's a double cable that mounts drastically different (it's nearly the same cable a 1050 uses). You'd need the throttle tube and switch housing from a 2002+ to make it work, at the very least.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
oh well. it doesn't matter at this point anyway...

so i got the ghetto rigged throttle cable working. it wasn't snapping back like a real throttle cable would, but it opened and closed freely. cruise control, right? lol. well anyway, as i was putting everything back together, a little plastic fuel line connector broke off. (why is a piece as important as a fuel line connection plastic?) ghetto rigging something like that probably means explosion. generally i'm ok with explosions, but i figured not in this case...

so i'm leaving the poor bike at home for the last 1 1/2 months of the semester, driving back to new orleans in a damn cage, and will be making long lists of things to do to my little beast during the summer, when i'll have more time and money. naturally, a new piece of plastic for the fuel line and a throttle cable top the list...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts