Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i had drained the carbs to change the main jets.. put them back on.. all is good. then one day I saw that the drain bolt was sticking out a bit.. to be safe I grabbed the allen wrench and gave it a few turns to make sure it was tight.. turns out it was already tight as can be but the wrench turned easy in the soft metal, thus, stripped.

·
Premium Member
3,435 Posts
Yeah - I usually just take off the float bowl over a bucket, having had a problem with that on a prior bike. Used to be they would put the type of head on there that wouldn't allow you to overtorque a screw easily...

I wonder if the Keihin screws from a TBS will fit? I have a bunch of old carb bits around here...

·
Registered
10,209 Posts
The replacements are standard stainless steel metric allen-head screws. At one time I had a list of the sizes. Working from memory, they were 8x12mm for the tops, 6x14mm, and 2x16mm for the left rear bottom. I forget the diameter, maybe M4.

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
For some reason, the right side screw sticks out further than the left. I recall a thread about it once, and I've had two 07 Bonnevilles - both like that. ????

·
Registered
594 Posts
Wow, I'm kind of amazed you managed to strip a socket head screw, esp since it's threaded into soft die cast aluminum. Every time I tighten one of these I worry that I'm going to strip the threads, but I've never thought I'd strip the screw. Are you sure you used a metric hex key?

Incidentally, the other carb screws are easy to strip because they're a JIS Phillips head, as opposed to the much more common ANSI Phillips. The little dot on the screw head is the indicator. JIS screws work quite well if you have JIS screwdrivers, not so well with US screwdrivers...

As was previously mentioned, Sudco is the place to get spare Keihin parts.

·
Registered
404 Posts
For some reason, the right side screw sticks out further than the left. I recall a thread about it once, and I've had two 07 Bonnevilles - both like that. ????
I noticed the same when I changed my jets out too - I had both carbs off the bike so I could see up close - spent a good 20 mins looking from the LHS to RHS wondering why the hell they would possibly be different but they are! Even asked the mechanic at the Triumph dealer who confirmed it. So I very nearly did the same thing!! If you're doing this with the carbs on the bike you won't see the difference, hence the temptation to screw it in further - easy mistake!

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The replacements are standard stainless steel metric allen-head screws. At one time I had a list of the sizes. Working from memory, they were 8x12mm for the tops, 6x14mm, and 2x16mm for the left rear bottom. I forget the diameter, maybe M4.
Yeah I was hoping they were standard metric allen-head bolts, but I removed the other (un-stripped) drain bolt competely and it is anything but standard.. It has an unthreaded, tapered end to it.

Looks like I'll be ordering from sudco unless cafetbird has some spare ones lying around :)

·
Registered
10,209 Posts
Sorry, I thought that you were referring to the top and bottom screws for the top cover and float bowl. I don't know about the drain screws.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts