Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted a while back when I got the chance to pick up a 68 TR6R ( see the pics below) well, I finally got it today. I have to say that I have a ton of work!! So far I have the frame down to just wheels, tires and frontend. After I got the motor out ( now that was fun!!) I pulled the head off and sure enough, 25 years worth of sitting and a little bit of water did the trick, the rings are rusted to the cylinder walls:) Oh, and when i pulled the head I noticed that one of the valves didnt retract like it should have, so its either bent or just rusted in place like everything else on the bike:)
Does anyone have any suggestions on how to free up the rings so i can get the cylinder off to take a peek at the lowerend? I have left them soak in PB Blaster overnight to see if that might help any.
Since the motor is going to take a while to get everything right I figured I would work on getting the frame cleaned up and back in shape. I have looked at tons of pitures of old triumphs and I have notied that everyone cuts the stock front motor mounts off and goes with removeable plates, would that make getting the motor back in easier? if so thats the first thing im doing:)
I will post pictures of the progress as soon as i can find the camera:)
Any and all suggestions welcome

Attachments

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
The removable front engine mount plates just make it easier to get the assembled engine in and out of the frame. Unless you plan to have the engine in and out a lot, they're not really a necessity. The only reason to take the engine out of the frame (other than painting the frame) is to split the cases in which case the top end is going to have to be removed anyway. Even with the removable plates, it is still much easier to remove the engine with the top end off.

·
Super Moderator
12,861 Posts
Soaking with lots of PB Blaster, WD-40 or Marvel Mystery Oil is step ONE.

Hopefully, the pistons are at the upper end of the stroke; if so, you can take a piece of 2x2 lumber or a wooden hammer handle and smack the piston smartly with a small sledge hammer, to knock the pistons down into the bore. You can then lift off the cylinders.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
more tiger trouble

Well, took a look a the motor and both pistones seem to be about mid stroke ( only guessing) but neither are anywhere close to the top of the stroke. This weekend I will try and see if i can get the cylinder off :)
As bad as the top end looks I'm wondering if I should just go through the entire motor. If it has been sitting for 25 years there is no telling what else is going to be crusty:)

Oh, and it seems that wasps decided to make the gas tank thier home at some point. When i turned the tank over it had a hole the size of my fist in one of the lower corners; its either fix it or replace it, any suggestions?

·
Registered
970 Posts
fill the bores with diesel oil. Hot oil if possible. And wait a few days.
you could also repeat the treatment, the hot/cold may loosen the bores mechanically.
seeing you are at half stroke. loosen teh cylinder base nuts and see if you can lift the barrels high enough to look in underneath the pistons. Either way sparay there also if you can. You will probably find it easier to replace teh bores temporarily to eventually free them.

·
Registered
270 Posts
As bad as the top end looks I'm wondering if I should just go through the entire motor. If it has been sitting for 25 years there is no telling what else is going to be crusty:)
I can just about guaran-damn-tee you that there's goop in the sludge trap.

If there was that kind of corrosion in the top end, I certainly wouldn't run the engine without new bearings throughout and a clean sludge trap.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts