Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need specific information about what's required when removing the AI system on new EFI Bonnevilles.
I've ordered the kit but it's manufactured for carb. versions.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I researched this a bit before deciding to buy a carb model. I spoke with Triumph and a couple of dealers (FWIW) and they said emphatically that the EFI wouldn't cope with the changed exhaust gases with AI removed. The claim was that it works withing a narrow band and that removing the AI goes outside the tollerances. If that is the case, then I would assume that it would be possible to re-map, but I have not seen anyone claiming to have done that.

HTH

·
Registered
273 Posts
I removed th AI from my 09 50th anniversary Bonny, installed TOR's and had no problem , getting about 50mpg. It was remapped. There is a little box where the hose from the air box comes in to the AI system then it goes to the AI valve box mounted on the frame. I just cut a short piece of hose from the existing hose on eaither side of that little box and pushed a 7/16" x 9/16" tapered rubber plug into the cut off hose. Works fine.
I am not sure what the "little box" is there for, possibly something to do with the oxygen sensors...?

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I removed th AI from my 09 50th anniversary Bonny, installed TOR's and had no problem , getting about 50mpg. It was remapped. There is a little box where the hose from the air box comes in to the AI system then it goes to the AI valve box mounted on the frame. I just cut a short piece of hose from the existing hose on eaither side of that little box and pushed a 7/16" x 9/16" tapered rubber plug into the cut off hose. Works fine.
I am not sure what the "little box" is there for, possibly something to do with the oxygen sensors...?
Thanks for the info.! I figured it was probably a simple fix like that. Triumph is most likely reluctant to suggest how to remove any smog related systems due to liability concerns.
I had my local dealer re-map my ECU when I installed NH Togas and it sounds and runs great!! I got 40 MPG last tank but I only have 380 miles on my '09 50th Anniv. Bonnie. My Rocket III went from 28 MPG to 35-36 after I got a couple thousand miles on it and I expect the Bonneville will loosen up as well with some mileage on the odometer.

·
29,948 Posts
The little box you refer to is a reed valve set up. It allows frsh air from the airbox into the exhaust port, but prevents exhaust gas going into the airbox.

The neatest way to deal with the AI is to pull the whole thing off, including the hose that goes from the airbox to the reed valve, both hoses from the read valve to the head, and unscrew both spigots from the cylinder head.

You then have to plug the hole in the airbox, and the holes in the cylinder head.

British Customs, Triumph performance USA, newbonneville, Bella Corse all sell little kits with apprpriate plugs and gaskets to do the job.

This way you don't have hoses dangling around the place.

·
Registered
273 Posts
The FI bikes have another little box between the reed valve box and the air box, this is the "little box " I mentioned in the above post and the one I had to cut a piece of hose for each isde and slide on the little box and then plug with the tapered plugs. The two little hoses from te intake manifold go to this "little box".

·
29,948 Posts
I see. Well, I don't know what that little box is I'm afraid - is it hooked into the wiring? Might be a sensor, in that case.

If not, and it isn't connected to the bike any other way than the AI system, I'd pull it right off.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts