Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok my dad called me up today and informed be he is real close to buying a Triumph America. He went and test drove one today and asked me if I could find out honest, handson info about one. So I did a google and found this site. The dealer is asking 7900 for a 2006. So please give me any info and honest feedback.

·
Premium Member
4,098 Posts
I'll start this rolling.
First, welcome to both you and your dad. Encourage him to flex his fingers and join the group as well. We don't bite too hard.
I'm guessing, without any background, that your dad is of an age (40 s plus, ahh.. I remember those days... sorry) like the majority of our group. Great!
I don't know your dad's riding background; but for me, the TBA is my first bike, and like many, it was a case of "I always wanted a Triumph..... and finally did it.
I was attracted by the name, the reputation, the uniqueness, the style, the price, the overall "fit."
Being shortish, 5'7" the TBA is very stable for me, although I have a lower seat on the way from newspeedmaster.com (Check out this site- your dad will be sending $ his way soon and often.)
For a newbie, in spite of the engine size and weight, I have felt comfotable and in control from day 1, (after taking a MSF driving course.)
I'm happy as a clam with it. It looks, feels and rides the way I hoped and expected it would.
Price wise: don't know where you live, so I can't comment on competitive aspects of shopping various dealers. There are 05's out there, new, with full warranty, that can be had cheaper. There are quality, used 02-05's as well. I don't know how much of a factor the price is for you versus the bike itself. At a minimum, the dealer should give you a discount of 15-20% on add-ons, initial service, etc.
I know I'm missing a ton of stuff here, so others will chime in.
You and dad should lurk and look at old threads, and also check out www.bonnevilleamerica.com
There's info galore, and friendly folk to help and opine.

Whew... I need a beer.

Go for it!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Welcome to the forum!
I am also recently new and have justgot a brand new 2004 America - I am in Mexico and the dealer had one left.
I can tell you it is a GREAT! bike. I feel it has a great weight distribution and it is an easy bike to ride, while giving you plenty of satisfaction in the way it rides.
I looked at other bikes including HD's and I feel the TBA is a far better bike.
I hope your father gets the bike and we can welcome you to the group as an owner!

·
Registered
3,845 Posts
Welcome!
Good post there Golfer, well said.
I have a Speedmaster but darn near bought the America. They're both great bikes. You wouldn't be disappointed if you're in the market for a gorgeous and unique, well-made, nice-riding and affordable middleweight cruiser.
Shiny side up!

·
Banned
9,598 Posts
I've owned a dozen bikes, tho haven't owned one for many years till now. so i can't tell you how they compare with anything current. I can only tell you that i believe the triumph cruisers are IMO nearly flawless bikes in most respects compared to the bikes i've owned in the past including a 78' Triumph tiger. Mine is a speedmaster which is essentially the same as the america but with different looks, a few more cc's and a few extras plus lower drag bars. But they are basically the same. In short, they are great bikes that are unique, solid as a rock at 10 MPH or 100, dependable, and with a great feel. You won't find ANY other manufacturer building anything similar right now, so if he likes them it's pretty much his only choice w/o going to a very different type of bike.

I don't wanna sound too much like a shill for triumph, but i honestly can't find the words to describe how good these bikes are to my way of thinking at least. On the other hand, any harley rider or owner of most any other brand is going to tell you the same thing about thier bike, so i'm not sure how helpfull any of this is. What i CAN tell you is that if he likes it, theres nothing to worry about as far as buying one and finding out they're flawed in any way. In other words, what you see is what you get. If he likes the looks and feel there are no hidden unpleasent suprises waiting for him after the sale. I for one wouldn't want any other bike at any price that i can think of....honestly ! (well, like i said mine is a speedmaster, but i would like an america if i couldn't have the speedy)

·
Registered
16 Posts
I've owned Harleys, yamakawzies, and one BSA. Loved them all. But there is absolutly nothing like this America. I bought mine new in 03, and this bike has never been back to the dealership. The maintenance is very basic, replaced some loose valve shims at 12000 miles, replaced the tires several times, and just replaced the chain and sprockets at 22,000 miles. This is a reasonable motorcycle, not a power monster, not much bling bling or fancey billet chrome. This bike is made to ride, and really lets you be proud of it. I've heard the guys telling of how even the harley guys respect this bike. Who cares what those guys think! There is no compareing the two bikes. A harley is just a harley, a Jap crusier is a copy of a harley, a Ducati is a...etc. This bike is a Triumph! You don't see many on the road, and almost never see one parked. I think that if your dad is a rider, not a poser, he won't ever be unhappy with this bike. Triumph put the fun back into rideing for me.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Love my 05.
I've had it for a year and it has been a great ride.

The beauty is it's a fine bike right out of the crate or with a few mods it's a fine bike with a little more kick.

It rides two up without much effort.

The bike is well built, the engine is very strong and durable.

It brings a smile to my face whenever I ride it and always gets a conversation started.

It is a Triumph and it is unique.

If you read through this site and BonnevilleAmerica.com you will see that all who own them love them.

If he hasn't already taken a test drive have him do so, that's what sold me.

As for price, that's about what I paid for mine last year and the dealer has given me 10-15% off any parts/accy that I have purchased.

Welcome and best of luck,

Dave

[ This message was edited by: stdbkrhwk on 2006-03-07 19:55 ]

·
Registered
311 Posts
Tell him I said buy it. '05 America picked up in June, 7,000 miles later, my heart rate still goes up in anticipation of a ride. Wheather he is a tinkerer or just rides it, he won't be dissappointed. :cool:

·
Registered
191 Posts
Honest feedback. Here it comes. I have had many bikes over the years. Now at 55 I find that I like a little different kind of riding that I did at a younger age. Slower, more laid back. I bought the 2005 america--goodwin green. I laid it out with a windshield, driver floorboards, corbin passenger seat w/backrest and rack. Thunderbike exhaust for a little more sound. I have no regrets at all. I would do it again tomorrow. I paid $8200 before all the aftermarket options. The only thing for me is that I consider the America a 100-200 mile bike. If your dad is considering a 500 mile day after day I don't think it's the bike. If the previous is true then I would highly reccommend it. I think for 2007 the bike is going to change. Possibly an engine change. Possibly fuel injected. Maybe for the better or not, who knows. May want to consider the 06 now rather than wait till this years supply dries up. And it happens.

Jerry

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well thanks for the replies, we are off to buy one.

·
Registered
145 Posts
1st! i can't give you a unbiased opinion. i looked at every bike i could find before i sat on a AMERICA. I belong to the indy rat. several people in the group have americas. i loved the riding position. the bike starts every time. it is a respected bike wherever i ride. it will take me any where i want to go and as fast as i want to go.. i'm not looking for track times or 0-60. ask your dad how he feels about the bike and how the bike handles for HIM? JOE T. I RODE YESTERDAY AT 42 DEGREES. :razz:

·
Registered
476 Posts
My first bike too... I looked at many, but always came back to the America. Handling is great, and very easy to ride. I couldn't want anything more.
If you like to tinker, the bike is easy to work on, too.

I think both you and Dad will want one, so you might as well get two of them

1 - 14 of 14 Posts