Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok she's not as pretty as the new bike most everyone here owns, but I still like her :cool: .
Only I have a problem when I select neutral, I get a neutral light but I cannot start it unless I pull the clutch. It used to be intermittent until it got warm and would start to do it, now its all the time.
Any thoughts what the problem might be? Any help appreciated thanks.

The ugly one is me :wink:

·
Registered
711 Posts
Hench, your bike is absolutely gorgeous! I know one of the resident experts will give more detailed response to your question, but in general there are a couple things to check. You have the clutch switch covered as it appears to be working. Does your bike have a side stand switch (?) and there should be wiring/sensor that is the actual neutral safety switch (picks up that you are in neutral when trying to start). I would try bypassing the side stand switch and try to start her (hands off clutch). If that didn't work, check the neutral safety switch and connectors/wiring. It hopefully something simple as it was progressive and the clutch switch activation still allows for ignition.

Good luck.
Cheers!
BobW

·
Premium Member
24,401 Posts
Hench,
wot Bob said.

I am no tech genius but there are a few lurking here that should be able to help.

Mate your bike looks like it just rolled out of the factory!

Very nice machine indeed.

DaveM :cool:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Bob, I'll try what you suggested tomorrow, after I go for a ride :)
Thanks again for your help

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I haven’t had it long Dave, I'm new to Triumphs, the bloke i brought it off hadn’t ridden it for years and he offered it to me at a price I couldn’t refuse :cool: . It was covered all that time and in a good shed, he babied it but never rode it. I like it and its a good stepping stone for me before I get something newer or new. Its just this one little thing that’s bugging me.

·
Registered
528 Posts
I agree with nortoncharlie,
in neutral the clutch must be pulled in to start all 3 of our Triumphs.
Hench sounds like your bike is only getting better with age! :hammer:

·
Registered
425 Posts
Tha is one very nice bike; gorgeous colour, and as an RS rider, I think any more plastic would spoil it! We want to see the engine; it's not a car, after all. :)

Like nortoncharlie and rt, my RS needs the clutch pulled in to start. If you've been able to start it without doing that but now can't, it sounds like a dodgy clutch switch which has repaired itself, but probably only temporarily.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Hey Hench, welcome to the other side!

Your new ride looks absolutely gorgeous. If I didnt know better I would say it was brand new. I think its safe to say you will only here good things about your bike here.

I'm not sure about the earlier models, but all Triumphs have a safety switch on the clutch lever that requires the clutch to be pulled in to start the bike. As has been mentioned, if yours has been starting with the clutch out, your switch/wiring is faulty.

Let us know if you ever ride north and we'll get some of this motley crew together for a relaxing cruise through the hills.

Brett.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Hench,
I had the same problem with my 97 Daytona. It is a faulty clutch or side stand switch, and is easily fixed either by the use of WD40 or and new switch. Your bike looks fantastic and does not look out of place in the modern era of bikes, it is great to see a older bike that has been well looked after. Hopefully one day you will do a tour down here to Tassie and if you do contact me I love to check out your bike in person.

Cya The Tankman
:upthumb: :upthumb: :upthumb:

·
Registered
187 Posts
Yo, Hench. Told ya this was a good board. :wink:

My '02 wouldn't start without pulling in the clutch. That irritated me though, so I ended up bypassing the clutch switch. On mine, there is a connector hanging off the clutch a couple inches down. I removed that connector, and there are a three or four pin sockets but only two of them have pins in them. I pushed a heavy duty staple (like from a staple gun) into the socket between those contacts on the bike side, and sealed the thing back up with some black electrical tape. Now, I can start the bike with one hand. :-D

It IS a gorgeous looking bike, BTW.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for all the replies, I did about 300Kms today, perfect day for riding. Pity we don't have the nice twisties, but I still enjoyed it :) . Although the bends do get tighter the faster you go :eek:

I've never had a bike that I had to pull the clutch in to start it in neutral before, I'll see if I can get used to it, otherwise I think I'll do what Haddi-man suggested and disconnect the clutch switch. Thanks for the invite to the board Haddi-man :cool: .

Tankman and Beach I would love to go riding with you blokes some time, I hope to do Tassie one day, and anywhere the road has bends. I just gotta con some time off out of the boss (self employed), he's a bastard! :roll:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts