Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I am in market for my first helmet. I tried Arai Quantum 2, kept on my head for like one hour during MSF course and it started hurting me 3 inches above both of my ears [on head]. So my conclusion is that my head is rounder than Quantum 2 shape. I just bought it last week, so I am thinking of returning it, unless someone thinks changing lining would help.

So frankly I am not sure what's going on ... what should I try now ? If I need something more rounder than Quantum 2 shape, where should I look for ? Is Rx-7 less oval then quantum 2 ?

Shopping for a right fit helmet seems daunting :(

Thank you so much
D

·
Registered
973 Posts
Arai makes helmets for different shaped heads. If ya go to their website ya will see the different models for different shaped noggins. Oval-round etc. Just have to figure out which ya have.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Ask your dealer

While going to the websites is definitely going to get you a good feel for the way things fit and what shapes they have, I have found that a few of the shops in my area have some *very* knowledgable sales staff that can spot what kind of helmet a person should be wearing from across the room.

I would suggest going to some of your shops and asking someone for help fitting a helmet.

And one of the best pieces of advice I got was to wear a helmet around the store for 10-15 minutes. If it is uncomfortable at that point, it may not be the right size/shape.

·
Registered
265 Posts
...And one of the best pieces of advice I got was to wear a helmet around the store for 10-15 minutes. If it is uncomfortable at that point, it may not be the right size/shape.
At a minimum, this is certainly good advice but what feels very good at 10-15 minutes static time in the store can turn into a painful nightmare stareing at 60-70 headwind for an hour or so. This pretty much means any helmet purchase is going to be a leap of faith in the comfort department regardless of how comfy it feels in the store. Got an HJC when I bougt my bike last year that fits well and felt great in the store when I bought it. But after an hour or so at high way speeds it would develop a pressure point on my forehead. A few months ago I bought one of the new Bell Star's........off the internet with out trying it on. Was kind of nervous dropping five big on a helmet I could not try on first but it is very hard to find a dealer stocking Bell's. I lucked out though because the Star is very light on the head and very cushy and comfortable for hours at a time.

·
Registered
366 Posts
www.webbikeworld.com they review, evaluate, test, picture, and talk about helmet weights/comfort/head size/venting/etc of almost every helmet I've ever heard of (over 100 helmets I think). Great site and worth a look.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts