Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

need help on removing cylinder block

4K views 19 replies 6 participants last post by  GrandPaulZ 
#1 · (Edited)
The engine (`70 T120R) cranked over very easily while everything was together. After removing the head I found a light rusty surface in one cylinder bore but still, it cranked over very easy. Now I'm trying to remove the cylinder block and about when the piston skirts reach the bottom of the cylinder sleeve things start to stick. Moving the pistons back up some I can feel maybe 1/2 or 3/4 inch of the bottom of the bores and they feel smooth. Also, everything is pretty well lubricated with Kroil/PBBlaster. I've gotten only about 5mm of the piston skirts to show below the cylinder sleeves.

Anyone have any idea of how I should proceed? Patience? More Kroil? Use force? (and if so, what kind and how much?)

Thanks.

-- alonzo

Discussion starter · #5 ·
Success!!

stand on top of the crankcase and give 'em a mighty yank. They'll come off.
Thanks everyone. I did all the above. Used diesel and Sea Foam. Both seemed to help but I don't know which was better. Thought I was going to need twin 800lb gorillas to 'yank' them off but I just kept at it and it finally happened.

Any suggestions on how to clean and paint the cylinders? Should I do this before boring?

I had a good stroke of luck yesterday. While at my local BMW, Triumph, Ducatti, Vespa dealer I mentioned that I had just acquired the Bonnie and they told me about the guy who works on old Triumphs. Seems he was the local Triumph dealer back in the `70's & `80's till the old Triumph went out of business. I talked to him and it sounds like he has many engine parts and can get most anything else. He also has a machine shop.

-- alonzo

Discussion starter · #11 ·
That's a lot of heat on those rods and pistons, could be inadequate oil flow, I'll bet your sludge tube is LOADED with solidified grit.
OK... Where's the sludge tube? Is it a "split the cases" kinda deal? The other rod small end didn't have that discoloration and the one that did cleaned up somewhat with BrakeClean. I wondered about that but thought it was just 'varnish' buildup rather than overheating.

I haven't measured the piston/cylinder clearance yet but am definitely inclined to re-bore.

then paint with "pot Black"
Pot Black... Oh, yeah. I'm sure my neighborhood hardware store will know *exactly* what I'm talking about. I'll be in England week after next. Maybe I can pick up a can of "pot black" to bring home (on the plane ;-)

-- alonzo

Discussion starter · #19 ·
Well,,, ok.... I was hoping to avoid parting the cases as the bottom end feels tight but you all have convinced me to do so.

So much for my original idea of bringing the bike home, washing it off, putting in a battery and fuel and riding off into the sunset feeling like James Dean..... ;-)

Thanks everyone for the help and info.

-- alonzo

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.