Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry, this may be a little off topic but I am considering using a later Japanese frame and putting in either a 500 or 650 unit twin engine into it. I cannot seem to find anything on the net which shows the physical dimensions of the engines (max width, height etc). Does anyone have any info on a site that may show these dimensions? Many thanks. Glyn.
(I am on [email protected])

·
Super Moderator
12,584 Posts
Welcome, Glyn.

I took the liberty of moving your post for better visibility.

I don't have any info that will help (yet), but you're sure to get a good answer soon (probably from someone located where its raining, because it's great riding weather in most places right now).

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Many thanks for organising the thread. I've been mulling over this for a while and am reasonable OK on the bike mods in a DIY/hacker sort of way. Done a Weber IDF conversion on my XZ550, drilled discs and OK with a welder etc. I've been looking on the net but can see no evidence (so far) of anyone putting in a Meriden twin into a nice modern (not too modern) Japanese chassis. My XZ550 Yamaha basically has a Pantah copied frame with great brakes and a nice mono shock. They are cheap as chips down here second hand. It has nice down tubes (bit like a Seeley), from which motor hangers could be made easily (or looks like). It is a shaft however so will need a bit of work on the rear end. Lots of chain driven Yamaha's of that era had common or similar parts so that should not be a biggie. The closest thing I've seen is a Commando motor in a Seeley frame. That would the the look I'd be after. Prob use a soft 650 or a 500 to keep the vibes down and make it a nice everyday ride.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Now you're torquing. I hope that A65 motor vibrates alot less than the one I used to have, else it'll be putting some stress cracks in that nice frame. Nice conversion however, seems to fit nice and snug in there. Ta for that.

·
Banned
9,333 Posts
Have you considered a replica featherbed frame? I am pretty sure there are frames made now with mounting lugs for specific engines.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes that would be the easy route and lots of people have done that. I thought a mix of an 80's decent Japanese steel frame/ good brakes etc with a late (hopefully reliable) Triumph motor would be a bit unique. The A65 motor has the advantage of being nice and compact however, I can see when that would be a good candidate for a transplant. Being new to Triumphs, I have no idea even if the 650's/750's are much larger than the 500's in respect of case length and width? The early 70's 750's seem to be the commonest/cheapest here in NZ. I've read that the build quality wasn't a good as the 650's however?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts