Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all -

need some help - 1999 TBS with dual front disks.

in the process of replacing my stock damaged handlebars with renthal bars. The new bars are about an inch wider on each side. The issue I’m running into is that the brake hose connecting the front master cylinder to the T distributor for the two calipers is too short. As a result, I can’t reinstall the brake master and lever assembly to the new bars as the hose length isn’t long enough. Would like your thoughts on which option I should pursue:

1) replace with a longer brake hose (how? The Haynes manual has no instructions on this. Where can I source a longer brake hose? Has anyone else has to do this? Do the other models of the thunderbird come with a longer hose I can use?

2) get different bars closer to the rise, width and sweep of the original bars - if so, which bars do you recommend? I thought the renthals were pretty close based on research, and even saw a video of someone who had them installed on a TBS (no installation video).

help. The bike is now sitting and non functional and I need to figure out a path forward.

thanks

·
Premium Member
3,420 Posts
There are companies that will make you a custom brake line, companies that sell brake lines in various lengths, and companies that sell kits so you can custom make your own line. Choose your poison. Replacing the line is a lot like replacing the master cylinder: drain the fluid out, change the line, and bleed the brakes.

·
Premium Member
5,123 Posts
Third option- cut an inch off of either end of the bar with a tubing cutter. The cheap hand operated cutters as used in plumbing will do the job.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I bought a 23 inch cable on ebay ,replaced 6 crush washers(I think) and bleed the front brake. Worked great. You probably know already but brake fluid id highly corrosive.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 4 of 4 Posts